* [9fans] Need help setting up MacPro to prepare ps files for printing on HP PCL 3 printer (HP 6480)
@ 2014-04-24 17:39 Thomas
From: Thomas @ 2014-04-24 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I use p9p to create plots in the usual plan9 way, and I can view them with proof.

For example in p9p,

9 grap plotfile | 9 pic | 9 troff -mm |proof

produces the expected plot result.

But, I have not been able to find  gs or other translator to use to print the result on my HP PCL 3 printer (HP J6480).

The OS is OSX 10.6.8 on a MacBookPro.

Any help much appreciated.

-Tom

* Re: [9fans] Need help setting up MacPro to prepare ps files for printing on HP PCL 3 printer (HP 6480)
@ 2014-04-24 18:24 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2014-04-24 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am no p9p expert, but on native plan9 you would do somthing like

	grap plotfile | pic | troff -mm | lp -dstdout > plot.ps

This will generate a postscript version. Again on plan9 this is converted
on the fly by the lp printer subsystem into the apropriate form for your
printer.

You could add another step to generate a pdf if thats easier. -

	grap plotfile | pic | troff -mm | lp -dstdout | ps2pdf > plot.pdf

hope this helps.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Need help setting up MacPro to prepare ps files for printing on HP PCL 3 printer (HP 6480)
@ 2014-04-28 16:23   ` Thomas
From: Thomas @ 2014-04-28 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Following Steve's lead, I found this works :

9 grap plotfile | 9 pic | 9troff -mm | 9 tr2post   > plotfile.ps

lp plotfile.ps

The OS X lp does not convert postscript.

As far as I can see there is no plan9 lp.

Thanks, Steve

-Tom

@ 2014-04-28 16:55     ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2014-04-28 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thomas,

You should be able to use one of several options:

  open plotfile.ps	# should open in Preview.app, allowing convert/save to pdf
  /usr/bin/pstopdf

  ps2pdf		# if you’ve installed ghostscript or other toolchains

Don’t forget, you may need to add:

	9 grap plotfile | 9 pic | 9troff -mm | 9 tr2post | 9 psfonts  > plotfile.ps

-jas

@ 2014-04-30 15:34       ` Thomas
From: Thomas @ 2014-04-30 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks, Jeff I didn't know about "open".

Both preview and the OS X lp command allow printing of the ps file.

-Tom

@ 2014-05-01  9:47         ` stevie
From: stevie @ 2014-05-01  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: c_stuelpner, 9fans

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4731 bytes --]

From: Thomas <twest9@verizon.net>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Need help setting up MacPro to prepare ps files for printing on HP PCL 3 printer (HP 6480)
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 11:34:58 -0400