* [9fans] Hardware for CPU server
@ 2003-09-24 14:57 Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2003-09-24 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Moin,

after playing with old hardware and VMWare I would like to by
hardware for a standalone cpu/auth server. My network will not be
very big, somthing like 5-10 terminals/users for reading mail and
editing some text.

Fanless, low power consumtion hardware would be nice but adequate
speed is more important. What processor and how much RAM should I
choose?

Many thanks
Matthias

--
Matthias Teege -- http://www.mteege.de
make world not war

* Re: [9fans] Hardware for CPU server
@ 2003-09-24 22:10 ` Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2003-09-24 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Memory is cheap and most x86 PC motherboards can't handle more than
2GB, so just buy all the memory your motherboard(s) will permit.

Don't worry about the processor; any CPU you can buy new is far faster
than Plan 9 needs.  If you can afford a dual- (or more) processor
system, that should help the machine stand up to load better than
getting a CPU that's twice as fast.

jmk could give better advice.  Look at the sizes of L1 and L2 (and L3,
if you have one) caches; bigger is better.  If you need more detailed
advice, consult the wiki for currently-supported peripherals, and the
O'Reilly PC Hardware in a Nutshell book, 3rd edition, ISBN
0-596-00513-X for general PC advice, and pay more attention to their
comments on Linux than on Windows.