* Re: [9fans] mail and the web
@ 2002-09-23 19:22 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-23 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9
might be useful to you.  It certainly has
mail instructions.  Web is a tougher issue.
There are some who use rudimentary web browsers,
but I tend to run browsers on other systems
(via vnc or VMware) instead.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] mail and the web
@ 2002-09-23 20:04 ` Andrew
From: Andrew @ 2002-09-23 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

for mail, i found the man page extremely helpful as well as the wiki. Mail
just goes through a number of stages and you'll find that there are a few
modifications to each stage you need to make. Most notably the rewrite
file. I had the most problems there. Just remember that all mail goes
through it, so it has to put local mail in local boxes and send out
remote mail.

The trick then is to make sure it matches your hostname, so it recognizes
that mail as your own and doesnt try to deliver it remotely. In the
case it delivers mail addressed to it remotely, it just comes right
back again and loops around 20 or so times before it finally gives up
and returns it to the sender.

* [9fans] mail and the web
@ 2002-09-23 19:13 John Saylor
From: John Saylor @ 2002-09-23 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi

I've done the install and it boots. I want to start using the system but
I'm not quite sure how.

2 things that would be helpful are mail and the web.

Is there any document somewhere that talks about setting up mail on
plan9? I looked through the papers section on the bell labs website but
all I found were academic papers about the design of the system, etc.

Is there anything like a HOWTO? Should I just start searching the
mailing list archives?

Thanks.

--
.--- ...