* [9fans] p9 installation in qemu
@ 2007-06-14  8:50 Jens Arm
From: Jens Arm @ 2007-06-14  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi

I'm new to p9 and before installing on real hardware I want to try it in qemu.

I have some questions about p9:

1.
When installing from local media (CD) the CD gets mounted by the installer with
"mount /srv/9660 /n/distmedia /dev/sdD0/data" so why I have to enter "/" at the prompt
"Location of archives [browse]:" and not "/n/distmedia" where the CD is mounted? What is correct?
Looks like "/" ist working, but it is correct?

2.
Updating the installed p9 with new daily ISO burned on CD does not work as described in the wiki
http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Staying_up_to_date/index.html

I get an error that /dist/replica/cd can not be found. Tested on real hardware, too (same error)
Must I login with another user as glenda or is updating from CD broken?

Which users are installed by the p9-Installer? And what is the purpose of these users?

3.
How can I change the font of the terminal window and all the other (sysload viewer) ... permanently to that of acme or others?

Jens

* Re: [9fans] p9 installation in qemu
@ 2007-06-14  9:02 ` Gabriel Diaz
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2007-06-14  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello

> 1.
> When installing from local media (CD) the CD gets mounted by the installer with
> "mount /srv/9660 /n/distmedia /dev/sdD0/data" so why I have to enter "/" at the prompt
> "Location of archives [browse]:" and not "/n/distmedia" where the CD is mounted? What is correct?
> Looks like "/" ist working, but it is correct?

The easy way is typing browse and then exit the shell. The paths
changes between namespaces, so may be /n/distmedia was correct in the
path namespace and / is correct in the namespace the user is. i have
no access to p9 right now so i can't verify that part of the install
scripts.

> 2.
> Updating the installed p9 with new daily ISO burned on CD does not work as described in the wiki
> http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Staying_up_to_date/index.html
>
> I get an error that /dist/replica/cd can not be found. Tested on real hardware, too (same error)
> Must I login with another user as glenda or is updating from CD broken?

Last time i check that it was broken, but you can create the files
needed following the sample of the other replica setups, see the man
page for the operation of the replica system,

> Which users are installed by the p9-Installer? And what is the purpose of these users?

you can see the users in /adm/users and the users and in fossil
console (see fossilcons man page).

adm, sys, none and glenda i think those are the default users. adm and
sys have the mission to own system files and none is a special user
like nobody on unix. glenda is used as a default terminal user. Read
the papers about how plan9 is organized (cpu servers, auth servers,
fileservers, terminals). A standalone terminal is designed to be
operated by one user, so on the installation, the default one is
glenda.

> 3.
> How can I change the font of the terminal window and all the other (sysload viewer) ... permanently to that of acme or others?

on your profile there is a font variable that points to the font used
by rio. To use that font on acme, sam, and others you should use the
-f option some of them have (acme -f $font will start acme with the
font configured on your profile).

slds.

gabi

* Re: [9fans] p9 installation in qemu
@ 2007-06-14 15:38 ` Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente
From: Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente @ 2007-06-14 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/14/07, Jens Arm <Jens.Arm@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm new to p9 and before installing on real hardware I want to try it in qemu.

Hello and welcome on board!

I'll suggest that you better use the preloaded image of plan 9
avaliable on oszoo.org ... Installing Plan 9 on qemu can be very slow
because of the lack of DMA transfers.

> I have some questions about p9:
>
> 1.
> When installing from local media (CD) the CD gets mounted by the installer with
> "mount /srv/9660 /n/distmedia /dev/sdD0/data" so why I have to enter "/" at the prompt
> "Location of archives [browse]:" and not "/n/distmedia" where the CD is mounted? What is correct?
> Looks like "/" ist working, but it is correct?
/dev/sdD0/data is probably correct (If your cd is sdD0, it is correct)
/ is correct

> 2.
> Updating the installed p9 with new daily ISO burned on CD does not work as described in the wiki
> http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Staying_up_to_date/index.html
>
> I get an error that /dist/replica/cd can not be found. Tested on real hardware, too (same error)
> Must I login with another user as glenda or is updating from CD broken?

I don't know... I suggest ip/ipconfig && ndb/dns -r && pull (I am
supposing you have avaliable networking capabilities)

> 3.
> How can I change the font of the terminal window and all the other (sysload viewer) ... permanently to that of acme or others?

In /usr/$user/lib/profile you can do so... But I think that some apps
require extra settings, like acme (-F option, then dump ;) )

Cheers!

* Re: [9fans] p9 installation in qemu
@ 2007-06-15  7:58   ` Jens Arm
From: Jens Arm @ 2007-06-15  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> > I'm new to p9 and before installing on real hardware I want to try it in qemu.
>
> Hello and welcome on board!

Thank you, for the answers.

> > 1.
> > When installing from local media (CD) the CD gets mounted by the installer with
> > "mount /srv/9660 /n/distmedia /dev/sdD0/data" so why I have to enter "/" at the prompt
> > "Location of archives [browse]:" and not "/n/distmedia" where the CD is mounted? What is correct?
> > Looks like "/" ist working, but it is correct?
> /dev/sdD0/data is probably correct (If your cd is sdD0, it is correct)
> / is correct

OK - I try it on weekend on real hardware

> > 2.
> > Updating the installed p9 with new daily ISO burned on CD does not work as described in the wiki
> > http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Staying_up_to_date/index.html
> >
> > I get an error that /dist/replica/cd can not be found. Tested on real hardware, too (same error)
> > Must I login with another user as glenda or is updating from CD broken?
>
> I don't know... I suggest ip/ipconfig && ndb/dns -r && pull (I am
> supposing you have avaliable networking capabilities)

The network card on my real hardware (old compaq notebook) is a conexant lan which is not known in p9 :(
In Linux you need a recent tulip driver for that card to work.

So I must update from CD.

Anyone tried to get conexant lan working?

> > 3.
> > How can I change the font of the terminal window and all the other (sysload viewer) ... permanently to that of acme or others?
>
> In /usr/$user/lib/profile you can do so... But I think that some apps
> require extra settings, like acme (-F option, then dump ;) )

I will try it ...

cu Jens