* Re: [9fans] page(1)
@ 2009-02-21  1:28 Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-02-21  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Neither works for me.

term% hget http://9grid.es/screens/screen1.png|page
reading through graphics...
warning: couldn't read image: readimage: read count 32400 not 64800: screen id in use

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3096 bytes --]

From: erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] page(1)
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 20:09:13 -0500

On Fri Feb 20 20:05:49 EST 2009, akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net wrote:
> Lately, page has been having troubles displaying an increasing number
> of PNG image files.  I'm not sure whether this is due to any recent
> changes or what...  Even a PNG of /dev/screen taken with topng(1)
> renders just the dreaded question-marks.
>
> Any ideas what's going on here (as a simple test, you can first try
> the screenshot on 9grid.es, which is a PNG, and also isn't rendered
> by page(1) for me, then you can try taking your own snapshot with
> topng(1))?

both of these work for me:

; hget http://9grid.es/screens/screen1.png|page
; hget http://9grid.es/screens/screen1.png|/n/sources/plan9/386/bin/page

- erik

* Re: [9fans] page(1)
@ 2009-02-24  0:06   ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2009-02-24  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sorry about that.  I've reverted to the older readpng.c.
The new one shouldn't have escaped yet.

The new one was an attempt to fix bugs in the old one
(there are some png files that the old one can't handle
correctly), but the new one has its own bugs.

* Re: [9fans] page(1)
@ 2009-02-23 20:18 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-02-23 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Feb 23 15:16:16 EST 2009, akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net wrote:

> If you get to debugging it, that'd be great.  For everyone else, the
> still useful png is in /n/sourcesdump/2009/0201/plan9/386/bin/png.
> Everything works fine now, thanks FGB.

i did see that the changes to png.c didn't make any difference.
the changes to readpng do.  there's a lot of changes to readpng,
so i didn't chase that thread.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] page(1)
@ 2009-02-23 20:15 Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-02-23 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If you get to debugging it, that'd be great.  For everyone else, the
still useful png is in /n/sourcesdump/2009/0201/plan9/386/bin/png.
Everything works fine now, thanks FGB.

ak

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4012 bytes --]

From: "Federico G. Benavento" <benavento@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 00:38:27 -0300

hola,

I haven't had the time to debug it, but readpng() changed
in the last days and it doesn't work correctly anymore.
I jdid yesterday -c /386/bin/png and everything went
back to normal.

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] page(1)
@ 2009-02-21  3:38 ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2009-02-21  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] page(1)
@ 2009-02-21  1:49 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-02-21  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: akumar, 9fans

@ 2009-02-21  1:40 Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-02-21  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

No, they don't work in png(1) either:

term% hget http://9grid.es/screens/screen1.png|png
png: loadimage <stdin> of 2430000 bytes failed: loadimage: insufficient data

term% png n/dump/usr/akumar/plan9/screens/nihongonokawa.png
png: loadimage n/dump/usr/akumar/plan9/screens/nihongonokawa.png of 1310720 bytes failed: loadimage: insufficient data

(the latter is a snapshot of /dev/screen taken with topng(1))
ak

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3207 bytes --]

From: Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 17:32:52 -0800

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Akshat Kumar
<akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net> wrote:
> Lately, page has been having troubles displaying an increasing number
> of PNG image files.  I'm not sure whether this is due to any recent
> changes or what...  Even a PNG of /dev/screen taken with topng(1)
> renders just the dreaded question-marks.

If they fail in page, do they work in png?
Do you happen to have another program
named "png" in your path before /bin/png?

Russ

* Re: [9fans] page(1)
@ 2009-02-21  1:32 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2009-02-21  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2009-02-21  1:09 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-02-21  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Feb 20 20:05:49 EST 2009, akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net wrote:
> Lately, page has been having troubles displaying an increasing number
> of PNG image files.  I'm not sure whether this is due to any recent
> changes or what...  Even a PNG of /dev/screen taken with topng(1)
> renders just the dreaded question-marks.
>
> Any ideas what's going on here (as a simple test, you can first try
> the screenshot on 9grid.es, which is a PNG, and also isn't rendered
> by page(1) for me, then you can try taking your own snapshot with
> topng(1))?

both of these work for me:

; hget http://9grid.es/screens/screen1.png|page
; hget http://9grid.es/screens/screen1.png|/n/sources/plan9/386/bin/page