* Re: [9fans] non-BIOS boot
@ 2002-05-31 17:57 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2002-05-31 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Actually we've done complete chipset turn-on (dram control etc.) plus read
> in a kernel in 512 bytes. On the twisted, horrible, 8086 real-mode yet.

That's nice.  Now, to _really_ impress me, it has to run on any
machine where the INT13 solution would do, which includes
machines with various kinds of SCSI adaptors providing access
to the boot disk :-)

* Re: [9fans] non-BIOS boot
@ 2002-05-30 18:17 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2002-05-30 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If you dont use the BIOS wouldn't you have to access
> the disk via i/o ports? If so, you would have to adhere to
> the SCSI/ATA standard rather than a more conformed interface
> via int13? If you did have to adhere to the different standards
> wouldnt that mean implementing the drivers in the MBR/PBS?
> I think _I'm_ the one missing something :) Can you fill me

Good luck fitting that code into the 512 bytes you have to play
with in the MBR.

The BIOS int13 call gives you enough to get the OS into memory,
then you can run a _real_ driver, tailored to the OS, and not to
the pre-Cambrian qualities of the BIOS.

* Re: [9fans] non-BIOS boot
@ 2002-05-27 17:47 rsc
From: rsc @ 2002-05-27 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Anyone out there have any pointers towards documentation
> on accessing devices via physical memory? Like, apparently
> video memory to write text is mapped at 0xb8000.. do other
> devices become mapped like this? Is this documented
> information? If so, where? I've read through most of the
> intel CPU documentation, but, I havent seen anything related
> to this topic. I'd prefer not to use the BIOS in my MBR

google for ralf brown's interrupt list.
there's a file called memory.lst that you
might find useful.

* [9fans] non-BIOS boot
@ 2002-05-27  8:57 Don