* [9fans] dict
@ 2003-09-03  8:47 Caerwyn Jones
From: Caerwyn Jones @ 2003-09-03  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

http://home.comcast.net/~caerwyn/dict.tgz

contains changes to dict to support the Project Gutenberg Webster dictionary
(http://promo.net/pg). Only for people too cheap to buy the OED2 :)

-Caerwyn

* Re: [9fans] dict
@ 2003-09-12 19:46 ` rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2003-09-12 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> http://home.comcast.net/~caerwyn/dict.tgz
>
> contains changes to dict to support the Project Gutenberg Webster dictionary
> (http://promo.net/pg). Only for people too cheap to buy the OED2 :)

thanks for this.  one comment: the instructions have a glitch
in the sam script.  use this one instead.

	,x//c//
	,x/ & /c/ & /
	1,0/<p>/-1d

* Re: [9fans] dict
@ 2003-09-12 19:52   ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2003-09-12 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, rob pike, esq. wrote:

> Only for people too cheap to buy the OED2 :)

It's not the cost of the OED2, it's the *shipping* charges.

--lyndon (owner of the wimpy two-volume OED2 lite, on account of he
          had to carry it home on the bus.)

ASCII Stupid Question, Get a Stupid ANSI

* Re: [9fans] dict
@ 2003-09-13  1:45     ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-09-13  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > Only for people too cheap to buy the OED2 :)
>
> It's not the cost of the OED2, it's the *shipping* charges.

Well, the CD isn't so bad.  :-)  The problem with the Oxford is
that, frankly, it's too much dictionary for most people; it sounds
stupid, but there's a lot of stuff in there most people don't need.
Something like Webster's is far more accessible.

	- Dan C.

``Professor Weber; have you ever wondered what they etymology
of the word, `Cracker' is?  Perhaps you will look it up someday
and send it to me written on a postcard....''

* Re: [9fans] dict
@ 2003-09-13  5:33       ` William Josephson
From: William Josephson @ 2003-09-13  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 09:45:29PM -0400, Dan Cross wrote:
> > > Only for people too cheap to buy the OED2 :)
> > It's not the cost of the OED2, it's the *shipping* charges.
>
> Well, the CD isn't so bad.  :-)  The problem with the Oxford is

The thing with the CD is that you can only use it under
Windoze (and maybe MacOS?).  I'm happy to pay for a copy,
but I want to be able to -use- it once I have.

* Re: [9fans] dict
@ 2003-09-15 15:32         ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-09-15 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

William Josephson <jkw@eecs.harvard.edu> writes:
> The thing with the CD is that you can only use it under
> Windoze (and maybe MacOS?).  I'm happy to pay for a copy,
> but I want to be able to -use- it once I have.

Hmm; are we talking about the same CD?  I was under the impression that
they one they use at the labs (under Plan 9) is the same as the one you
can buy from Oxford.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] dict
@ 2003-09-15 15:43           ` William K. Josephson
From: William K. Josephson @ 2003-09-15 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 11:32:31AM -0400, Dan Cross wrote:
> William Josephson <jkw@eecs.harvard.edu> writes:
> > The thing with the CD is that you can only use it under
> > Windoze (and maybe MacOS?).  I'm happy to pay for a copy,
> > but I want to be able to -use- it once I have.
>
> Hmm; are we talking about the same CD?  I was under the impression that
> they one they use at the labs (under Plan 9) is the same as the one you
> can buy from Oxford.

The data is the same (or nearly so) as the old version of the CD.
There is a newer one with some updates and possibly corrections.
However both versions of the CD are, to the best of my knowledge,
encrypted (and use some lame copy protection scheme, too).

* Re: [9fans] dict
@ 2003-09-15 21:26           ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-09-15 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Tying things back to the original message in
this thread, I've merged Caerwyn Jones's pgw
changes into the distribution dict and put the
result on sources.

If you update you'll get the new dict,
and a /lib/dict/README.pgw that says:

	To get the Project Gutenberg dictionary use

		9fs sources
		cp /n/sources/extra/pgw.tar.bz2 /tmp
		cd /lib/dict
		bunzip2 < /tmp/pgw.tar.bz2 | tar x

Dict now uses the first dictionary on the system
as the default, so even though oed is listed first,
if all you have is the pgw that's what it will use.

I like this one:

	dict computer

Thanks, Caerwyn.  This is great.  It's really
nice to be able to use adict on my local machine.

Russ

* [9fans] dict
@ 2000-04-20  8:38 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-04-20  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>Are those scripts available somewhere?

i can't answer that one!

* [9fans] dict
@ 2000-04-20  8:19 Vladimir
From: Vladimir @ 2000-04-20  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

--- forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk wrote:
>>How are the dictionaries formated anyway?

> each has its own.  dict uses a common index
> format (built using rc, awk and C)...

Are those scripts available somewhere?

Where can I find an example to build my on one
dictionary to be used with dict.

Thanks

http://invites.yahoo.com

* [9fans] dict
@ 2000-04-20  7:45 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-04-20  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>How are the dictionaries formated anyway?

each has its own.  dict uses a common index format (built using rc, awk and C)
but a different access routine (if a common interface) for each dictionary.

* [9fans] dict
@ 2000-04-19 23:27 Vladimir
From: Vladimir @ 2000-04-19 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

>From the dict.7 manpage:
The dictionaries are not distributed outside Bell
Labs.

How are the dictionaries formated anyway?

Thanks
Vladmir

http://invites.yahoo.com