* [9fans] Unix's founding fathers
@ 2004-07-27  0:03 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2004-07-27  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I thought it might be nice to have something worth reading
amongst all the spam today.

http://economist.com/science/tq/displayStory.cfm?story_id=2724348

* Re: [9fans] Unix's founding fathers
@ 2004-07-27  0:16 ` Boris Maryshev
From: Boris Maryshev @ 2004-07-27  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tuesday 27 July 2004 03:03, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
> I thought it might be nice to have something worth reading
> amongst all the spam today.
>
> http://economist.com/science/tq/displayStory.cfm?story_id=2724348
Nice indeed.

As Boyd pointed out, “Space Travel” should be “Space War”.

And hey, how come other lists are dealing with spam much better?

Boris
--
There are two kinds of fool.  One says, "This is old, and therefore good."
And one says "This is new, and therefore better."

* Re: [9fans] Unix's founding fathers
@ 2004-07-27  0:22   ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2004-07-27  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

no, the article is correct. it was 'space travel'.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] Unix's founding fathers
@ 2004-07-27  0:24 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-07-27  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I thought it might be nice to have something worth reading
> amongst all the spam today.
>
> http://economist.com/science/tq/displayStory.cfm?story_id=2724348

did you find the code snippets in the dmr collage a tad strange:

	http://economist.com/images/20040612/UNIX.jpg

?

i'll tell you where they are from (google's working now):

	http://www.aljex.com/bkw/filepro/

(the topmost entry, check the screenshots) but i can't tell you why
they were used instead of some trivial C code...  filePro for SCO
UNIX?  wtf indeed!

andrey

* Re: [9fans] Unix's founding fathers
@ 2004-07-27  0:38     ` Boris Maryshev
From: Boris Maryshev @ 2004-07-27  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tuesday 27 July 2004 03:22, Rob Pike wrote:
> no, the article is correct. it was 'space travel'.
I see.

"Later we fixed Space Travel so it would run under (PDP-7) Unix instead of
standalone, and did also a very faithful copy of the Spacewar game originally
done (I think) at MIT on the PDP-1, but that was a different game."

http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/spacetravel.html

But then there are quite a few articles on the Internet, which say that Unix
is here thanks to Ken wanting to play Space War on Programmed Data
Processor-7.

> -rob
Boris
--
The sendmail configuration file is one of those files that looks like someone
beat their head on the keyboard.  After working with it... I can see why!