* [9fans] winname: undocumented file in rio.
@ 2003-04-24 18:09 paurea
From: paurea @ 2003-04-24 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think something like this (with the English corrected) should be
added to rio(4).

						Gorka
 ゴルカ

137,141d136
< .TP
< .B winname
< contains the string window.n1.n2 where n1 is the number for the window
< and n2 is the number of times the window has been renamed. Typically it
< indicates the number of resizes and moves it has suffered.

* Re: [9fans] winname: undocumented file in rio.
@ 2003-05-06 18:28 ` rog
From: rog @ 2003-05-06 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> < .B winname
> < contains the string window.n1.n2 where n1 is the number for the window
> < and n2 is the number of times the window has been renamed. Typically it
> < indicates the number of resizes and moves it has suffered.

that reminds me: there's a bug in the way that rio uses winname
which can cause applications to fall over.

it's a race:
if i try to resize a window several times in quick succession, rio can
have destroyed a window's image before the application has actually
acquired it with namedimage().  various applications, including acme,
panic if this happens.

the problem is not fixable "properly" without adding some sort of
acknowledgment channel to rio so an application can tell rio that it
has successfully acquired the new image.  this seems like overkill,
especially as it's hardly ever a problem.

i think the best solution might just be to continue to use the old
image in the meantime, as the nature of the problem means that it will
resolve itself once the rest of the resize events have been delivered.
(after all, there *is* an image for the window, it just isn't the one
that the application currently has the name for).

does this seem reasonable? the implementation should
be trivial.

i have been bitten by this several times; having an acme window
suddenly die is most annoying!

  cheers,
    rog.