* Re: [9fans] weird file names
@ 2002-05-03 15:14 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-05-03 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> if i mount the plan9.iso archive on linux, i see some weird file
> and directory names.  e.g.
>
> /rc/bin/a: -> /rc/bin/D001139
> /rc/bin/b: -> /rc/bin/F001146
> /rc/bin/c: -> /rc/bin/D001140
> /rc/bin/9fat: -> /rc/bin/F001142
>
> i noticed a similar problem on a cdrom i had burned on solaris.
> is there any way to fix this ?

As William correctly guessed, the CD image has
ISO9660, Plan 9, and Joliet (MS Windows Unicode
long names) file tables.  No Rock Ridge, because
Plan 9 and Rock Ridge are somewhat incompatible.

You're seeing the Joliet names, or else you'd
see a lot more [DF]xxxxxx names.  The ones in
/rc/bin are unfortunate: even in Joliet they
have to be rewritten since they contain reserved
characters (the colons).

There's no way around this unless you implement
the Plan 9 extensions in your iso9660 reader.

(I could try to make Plan 9 and Rock Ridge extensions coexist,
but I'm really quite happy with Joliet, which has
the advantage of having a clear definition for dealing
with Unicode.)

Russ

* Re: [9fans] weird file names
@ 2002-05-03  7:16 ` William Josephson
From: William Josephson @ 2002-05-03  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 07:01:27AM -0000, Taj Khattra wrote:
> if i mount the plan9.iso archive on linux, i see some weird file
> and directory names.  e.g.

> i noticed a similar problem on a cdrom i had burned on solaris.
> is there any way to fix this ?

Look at the man page for mk9660:
it isn't a bug.  ISO9660 requires
8.3 filenames so non-conformant