* Re: [9fans] New user question
@ 2008-03-06 23:55 philo
From: philo @ 2008-03-06 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

--- mirtchovski@gmail.com wrote:

From: "andrey mirtchovski" <mirtchovski@gmail.com>
To: "Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] New user question
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 14:45:12 -0700

the following should do it from the live cd:

fossil/fossil -c 'srv fossil' –f /dev/sdC0/fossil
mount /srv/fossil /n/fossil

if your fossil was configured correctly during install, you can skip
the '-c 'srv fossil'' part.

This is the exact error I rcvd when trying as you have suggested above;

attach main as glenda: connection not authenticated, not console

mount /n/fossil  cannot attach as none before authenticated

-. www.tuol.org .-

* Re: [9fans] New user question
@ 2008-03-07  0:13 ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-03-07  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philo565, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You need to add yourself to the group sys.

1) Reboot:
		fshalt -r
2) Log in as user sys.
3) Type
		con -l /srv/fscons
4) There, type
		uname sys +(your user name)
	For example, if your user name is philo:
		uname sys +philo
5) Hit ctrl+\ and type
6) Reboot and log in and try again.

On Mar 6, 2008, at 6:55 PM, philo wrote:

> [...]

* Re: [9fans] New user question
@ 2008-03-07  0:46   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2008-03-07  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

or, you can try "-c 'srv -AWP fossil'" on the command line. change
'fossil' to something else (and as the argument to mount) if it
complains that 'fossil' is already used.

* Re: [9fans] New user question
@ 2008-03-07  0:53     ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-03-07  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Why are you running from a live CD?

@ 2008-03-07  0:58       ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2008-03-07  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Probably for the same reason I do when the occasion arises.
It is conveniently a rescue environment too.

--
Christopher Nielsen
"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary

* Re: [9fans] New user question
@ 2008-03-07  1:05         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-03-07  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Probably for the same reason I do when the occasion arises.
> It is conveniently a rescue environment too.
>
> On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 4:53 PM, Pietro Gagliardi <pietro10@mac.com> wrote:
> > Why are you running from a live CD?

i find it even more convienent to leave a small kfs around and leave
a non-default entry in plan9.ini which uses it as root.  then, should
the need arise, i can just enter the number of the resecue option on
boot.  looking for a cd is positively no fun when things are not working.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] New user question
@ 2008-03-07  1:09 philo
From: philo @ 2008-03-07  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Probably for the same reason I do when the occasion arises.
> It is conveniently a rescue environment too.
>
> On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 4:53 PM, Pietro Gagliardi <pietro10@mac.com> wrote:
> > Why are you running from a live CD?

i find it even more convienent to leave a small kfs around and leave
a non-default entry in plan9.ini which uses it as root.  then, should
the need arise, i can just enter the number of the resecue option on
boot.  looking for a cd is positively no fun when things are not working.

- erik

I have two CD's so if I ever need one
I can get twice as frustrated when they are both lost somewhere <G>

-. www.tuol.org .-

* Re: [9fans] New user question
@ 2008-03-07  1:08 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2008-03-07  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philo565, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

the -AWP switches apply to the srv command, so they're described in
fossilcons(8). i only know them because they were used quite often in
fossil's early days.

–A    run with no authentication
–P    run with no permission checking
–W    allow wstat to make arbitrary changes to the user and group fields

cheers: andrey

>  I can see you really know your stuff there.
>  That -AWP switch was definately not intuitively obvious for a newbie.
>  What does the -AWP switch actually mean?
>
>  Though the man pages seemed to cover the commands pretty well,
>  I am a bit "in the dark" on the meaning of all the switches.

* Re: [9fans] New user question
@ 2008-03-07  1:06 philo
From: philo @ 2008-03-07  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

From: philo @ 2008-03-07  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

or, you can try "-c 'srv -AWP fossil'" on the command line. change
'fossil' to something else (and as the argument to mount) if it
complains that 'fossil' is already used.

Yes sir!!!
that did the trick thank you!

I can see you really know your stuff there.
That -AWP switch was definately not intuitively obvious for a newbie.
What does the -AWP switch actually mean?

Though the man pages seemed to cover the commands pretty well,
I am a bit "in the dark" on the meaning of all the switches.

Philo

-. www.tuol.org .-

* Re: [9fans] New user question
@ 2008-03-06 21:45   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2008-03-06 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2008-03-06 21:39 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-03-06 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philo565, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 1:28 PM, philo <Philo565@tuol.org> wrote:

>  However thus far I have been unable to access the fossil partition where Plan 9 is installed

what command are you using? What does ls -l /dev/sdC0 look like?

ron

* [9fans] New user question
@ 2008-03-06 21:28 philo
From: philo @ 2008-03-06 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, 9fans

I am still unable to mount my harddrive Plan 9 installation when booted up from the Plan 9 cd.

To mount the HD's dos partition all I need to do is:

dossrv
mount /srv/dos /n/dos /dev/sdC0/dos

I can then navigate to /n/dos to read the data on the harddrive.

However thus far I have been unable to access the fossil partition where Plan 9 is installed

I'd appreciate advice as to what I'd have to do to start a fossil server
and then mount it

-. www.tuol.org .-