* [9fans] more fun with faces
@ 2003-09-03  1:26 matt
From: matt @ 2003-09-03  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Here's the reason why I was playing with faces.

http://www.proweb.co.uk/~matt/plan9/usr/matt/bin/rc/face_from_pattern_match

I get plenty of mail from mailing lists and having the flag of origin doesn't provide many visual clues as to the content.

What this script does is grep the rawheaders for patterns in /usr/$USER/lib/face/auto_create_patterns and puts an entry in /usr/$USER/lib/face/48x48x1/.dict but with the face specified in the auto_create_patterns

by example :
auto_create_patterns contains (tab separated)

So when an email comes in with that List-Id if the sender isn't already in the existing .dict files the sender is added. i.e.

globemedia.net/clark.kent lists/plan9.9fans.1

The main flaw in it is if a new person posted to inferno@topica.com before 9fans then I'd have all their posts from then on marked as inferno posts

my idea is to regularly delete 48x48x1/*

I've been running it for half an hour

* Re: [9fans] more fun with faces
@ 2003-09-03 13:37       ` matt
From: matt @ 2003-09-03 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

yes, some of that post was a bit sloppy.

it's no excuse but it was hack on top of a hack, I'm sure if you were interested in it, figuringit out wouldn't be too hard.

Thanks for the tip on 'none' I hadn't spotted that. The .dict file was empty initially and 'none' had been allowed to create it.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2540 bytes --]

From: "boyd, rounin" <boyd@insultant.net>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] more fun with faces
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 23:40:21 +0200

> $USER is set in pipeto, it runs as none sp $user would be 'none'

i don't see anywhere where you mentioned it should be.

* Re: [9fans] more fun with faces
@ 2003-09-03  2:13   ` matt
From: matt @ 2003-09-03  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> forgot to mention that I invoke it from /mail/box/$USER/pipeto
eh?
s/USER/user/

$USER is set in pipeto, it runs as none sp $user would be 'none'

that bit was snarfed

* [9fans] more fun with faces
@ 2003-09-03  1:32 matt
From: matt @ 2003-09-03  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

forgot to mention that I invoke it from /mail/box/$USER/pipeto

/usr/matt/bin/rc/face_from_pattern_match
$BIN/deliver $RECIP $D/from $MBOX < $D/raw

* Re: [9fans] more fun with faces
@ 2003-09-02 21:40     ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-09-02 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-09-02 20:56 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-09-02 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

did you chmod +al /usr/$user/lib/face/48x48x1/.dict

man mail also says the pipeto is run as 'none'.

* Re: [9fans] more fun with faces
@ 2003-09-02 20:49 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-09-02 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans