* [9fans] adm "user" on plan9 raspberry pi
@ 2015-02-04  1:17 christophe DAMAS
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: christophe DAMAS @ 2015-02-04  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I need to access to /adm/timezone to change the timezone.

How do I log as user adm ?

I use the standard plan9.iso image downloaded form ATT web site.
I have not set any password. Glenda is automatically logged in.
I've tried auth/changeuser but get "/mnt/key/adm permission denied" in return.

I'm new to plan9. Read ATT docs, but I have not understand how to set
password, and how to log as another user?

Can someone help me ?

* Re: [9fans] adm "user" on plan9 raspberry pi
@ 2015-02-04  3:21 ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2015-02-04  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 7:17 PM, christophe DAMAS <christophe.damas@gmail.com
> wrote:

> I need to access to /adm/timezone to change the timezone.
>
> How do I log as user adm ?
>
> I use the standard plan9.iso image downloaded form ATT web site.
> I have not set any password. Glenda is automatically logged in.
> I've tried auth/changeuser but get "/mnt/key/adm permission denied" in
> return.
>
> I'm new to plan9. Read ATT docs, but I have not understand how to set
> password, and how to log as another user?
>
> Can someone help me ?

Short answer: you don't.

Historically adm is the owner of the file system, whereas eve is the host
owner (i.e. the initial user at boot). "bootes" is the traditional host
owner and is normally added to the adm group (check /adm/users for detail).
The easiest way to interact with the system as eve is to use the console.
If you're running a default system, this should be all that is needed.

Cheers,

Steve

* Re: [9fans] adm "user" on plan9 raspberry pi
@ 2015-02-04  3:46   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2015-02-04  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > How do I log as user adm ?
> >
> > I use the standard plan9.iso image downloaded form ATT web site.
> > I have not set any password. Glenda is automatically logged in.
> > I've tried auth/changeuser but get "/mnt/key/adm permission denied" in
> > return.
> >
> > I'm new to plan9. Read ATT docs, but I have not understand how to set
> > password, and how to log as another user?
> >
> > Can someone help me ?
> >

> Short answer: you don't.
>
> Historically adm is the owner of the file system, whereas eve is the host
> owner (i.e. the initial user at boot). "bootes" is the traditional host
> owner and is normally added to the adm group (check /adm/users for detail).
> The easiest way to interact with the system as eve is to use the console.
> If you're running a default system, this should be all that is needed.

thanks for connecting a slightly rogue thought i'd had.  i'd always thought
of the authentication user of the file server (i use tor) as the hostowner,
but in fact it's not.

i would recommend *not* adding the cpu host owner to adm, as this
preserves the separation of powers as in /sys/doc/9.ps.  one can take
this further by making the hostowner of the auth server different from
other cpu servers, if you have a large network.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] adm "user" on plan9 raspberry pi
@ 2015-02-04  5:42 ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2015-02-04  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 04 Feb 2015 01:17:00 GMT christophe DAMAS <christophe.damas@gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to access to /adm/timezone to change the timezone.
>
> How do I log as user adm ?
>
> I use the standard plan9.iso image downloaded form ATT web site.

Do you mean 9pi.img?

> I have not set any password. Glenda is automatically logged in.

You need to change cmdline.txt on the boot (DOS) partition to
not automatically log in as glenda.

% c:		# this mounts the dos partition
% cd /n/c
% cp cmdline-term.txt cmdline.txt
% fshalt	# wait till it says "done halting"
^T^Tr		# reboot

Now it will prompt you for a user name. Use sys or some other
name from the line starting with adm: in /adm/users.

> I'm new to plan9. Read ATT docs, but I have not understand how to set
> password, and how to log as another user?

Just reboot and log in as another user.  See the plan9 wiki
for a more elaborate setup.

* Re: [9fans] adm "user" on plan9 raspberry pi
@ 2015-02-04  9:52 ` Richard Miller
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Richard Miller @ 2015-02-04  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I need to access to /adm/timezone to change the timezone.
>
> How do I log as user adm ?

To change /adm/timezone you only need to be part of group adm.  If
you're "logged in" (ie booted) as glenda, just add glenda temporarily
to the group using the fossil console (as current hostowner, glenda
has authority over the local fossil).

% echo uname adm +glenda >>/srv/fscons
% ... do stuff with /adm/timezone

@ 2015-02-04 11:06   ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2015-02-04 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> To change /adm/timezone you only need to be part of group adm.  If
> you're "logged in" (ie booted) as glenda, just add glenda temporarily
> to the group using the fossil console (as current hostowner, glenda
> has authority over the local fossil).

On my server(s), "9fs fossil" mounts fossil -AWP on /n/fossil.  That
allows me to really fool around.  I haven't wrecked any servers yet
and venti is always there as a catch net anyway.

Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] adm "user" on plan9 raspberry pi
@ 2015-02-04 12:49   ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2015-02-04 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 4 February 2015 at 10:52, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
>> I need to access to /adm/timezone to change the timezone.
>>
>> How do I log as user adm ?
>
> To change /adm/timezone you only need to be part of group adm.  If
> you're "logged in" (ie booted) as glenda, just add glenda temporarily
> to the group using the fossil console (as current hostowner, glenda
> has authority over the local fossil).
>
> % echo uname adm +glenda >>/srv/fscons
> % ... do stuff with /adm/timezone
> % echo uname adm -glenda >>/srv/fscons

It's interesting I was solving the same question a couple of days ago.
(I was installing 9atom.)
I think R. Miller's answer is closest to what christophe.DAMAS needed.
(On 9atom one is asked during booting for a user, so there it can be
enough to really 'just log in as adm'.)

It's a pitty this is not as clear as it should be on the wiki.

Anyhow; a related question that came across my mind:

How does a user list all groups they is in?
(to list all users in a group one can
uname group
on the fossil console)

and

What is the difference between
con /srv/fscons
and
con -l /srv/fscons
?

Thanks
Ruda

* Re: [9fans] adm "user" on plan9 raspberry pi
@ 2015-02-04 23:37   ` Christophe DAMAS
From: Christophe DAMAS @ 2015-02-04 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 2015-02-04 05:42:12 +0000, Bakul Shah said:

> On Wed, 04 Feb 2015 01:17:00 GMT christophe DAMAS
> <christophe.damas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I need to access to /adm/timezone to change the timezone.
>>
>> How do I log as user adm ?
>>
>> I use the standard plan9.iso image downloaded form ATT web site.
>
> Do you mean 9pi.img?
>
>> I have not set any password. Glenda is automatically logged in.
>
> You need to change cmdline.txt on the boot (DOS) partition to
> not automatically log in as glenda.
>
> % c:		# this mounts the dos partition
> % cd /n/c
> % cp cmdline-term.txt cmdline.txt
> % fshalt	# wait till it says "done halting"
> ^T^Tr		# reboot
>
> Now it will prompt you for a user name. Use sys or some other
> name from the line starting with adm: in /adm/users.
>
>> I'm new to plan9. Read ATT docs, but I have not understand how to set
>> password, and how to log as another user?
>
> Just reboot and log in as another user.  See the plan9 wiki
> for a more elaborate setup.

You're right I mean 9pi.img (Thanks a lot to Richard Miller)

Thanks for your advice I can now select user at boot.

* Re: [9fans] adm
@ 2015-02-04 23:44   ` Christophe DAMAS
From: Christophe DAMAS @ 2015-02-04 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Richard Miller <9fans <at> hamnavoe.com> writes:

> > I need to access to /adm/timezone to change the timezone.
> >
> > How do I log as user adm ?
>
> To change /adm/timezone you only need to be part of group adm.  If
> you're "logged in" (ie booted) as glenda, just add glenda temporarily
> to the group using the fossil console (as current hostowner, glenda
> has authority over the local fossil).
>
> % echo uname adm +glenda >>/srv/fscons
> % ... do stuff with /adm/timezone
> % echo uname adm -glenda >>/srv/fscons

Thank's a lot. I works pretty fine, but I need to
 learn more about fscons to understand why
it works.