* [9fans] "cloud" computing
@ 2008-07-07 18:04 ron minnich
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: ron minnich @ 2008-07-07 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I have an application for 10,000 machines. One option is to buy them
and run them, yuck!

One thought was to just rent them at amazon ecc:
http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/kbcategory.jspa?categoryID=84

Anybody worked with these guys? I need to run the 10k machines with
lguest. Any other possible providers anyone out there knows of?

thanks

ron

* Re: [9fans] "cloud" computing
@ 2008-07-07 18:27 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2008-07-07 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

is your app export-controlled?

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 12:04 PM, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an application for 10,000 machines. One option is to buy them
> and run them, yuck!

* Re: [9fans] "cloud" computing
@ 2008-07-07 18:43 ` Mark F Rodriguez
From: Mark F Rodriguez @ 2008-07-07 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Ron,

> Anybody worked with these guys? I need to run the 10k machines with
> lguest. Any other possible providers anyone out there knows of?

We're using <http://www.joyent.com> which has worked well for us.

Good luck.

--
Mark F Rodriguez

* Re: [9fans] "cloud" computing
@ 2008-07-07 19:28   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-07-07 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 11:27 AM, andrey mirtchovski
<mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:
> is your app export-controlled?

No. That was the first thought that hit my mind.

ron

* Re: [9fans] "cloud" computing
@ 2008-07-23 11:15 ` Zak B. Elep
From: Zak B. Elep @ 2008-07-23 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

rminnich@gmail.com (ron minnich) writes:

> One thought was to just rent them at amazon ecc:
> http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/kbcategory.jspa?categoryID=84
>
> Anybody worked with these guys? I need to run the 10k machines with
> lguest. Any other possible providers anyone out there knows of?

These are basically all Xen machines.  I don't know if you can run
lguest within them, or if Amazon provides lguest-based instances.

* Re: [9fans] "cloud" computing
@ 2008-07-23 13:29   ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2008-07-23 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 6:15 AM, Zak B. Elep <zakame@zakame.net> wrote:
> rminnich@gmail.com (ron minnich) writes:
>
>> One thought was to just rent them at amazon ecc:
>> http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/kbcategory.jspa?categoryID=84
>>
>> Anybody worked with these guys? I need to run the 10k machines with
>> lguest. Any other possible providers anyone out there knows of?
>
> These are basically all Xen machines.  I don't know if you can run
> lguest within them, or if Amazon provides lguest-based instances.

lguest can be installed as a module, so I don't think this would be a
big problem -- of course, no vx32 is an option and its even less of a
problem....

       -eric

* Re: [9fans] "cloud" computing
@ 2008-07-23 13:59     ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2008-07-23 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> of course, no vx32 is an option and its even less of a
> problem....

it didn't work for me on my virtual servers under user mode linux,
which was hardly surprising. i haven't taken the time yet to discover
precisely why not.

* Re: [9fans] "cloud" computing
@ 2008-07-23 15:27     ` Zak B. Elep
From: Zak B. Elep @ 2008-07-23 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ericvh@gmail.com (Eric Van Hensbergen) writes:

> lguest can be installed as a module, so I don't think this would be a
> big problem -- of course, no vx32 is an option and its even less of a
> problem....

Ahh right I forgot about that :)  You'd probably want to build a custom
machine image with lguest in; I should try this myself sometime...