* Re: [9fans] Questions: PPP/PAP and S3 Trio 3D/2X
@ 2000-06-15 15:59 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-06-15 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In general we shy away from implementing
cleartext password protocols, but I don't
think you'd find it too hard to add PAP
to the current PPP sources.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Questions: PPP/PAP and S3 Trio 3D/2X
@ 2000-06-16 13:30 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2000-06-16 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com (Russ Cox) writes:

> In general we shy away from implementing
> cleartext password protocols, but I don't
> think you'd find it too hard to add PAP
> to the current PPP sources.

Hmm, CHAP is actually just as cleartext as PAP, except that the
cleartext stage is in a different place in the network.
--
The above are my opinions,
 and my opinions only.

* Re: [9fans] Questions: PPP/PAP and S3 Trio 3D/2X
@ 2000-06-16 14:56 Eric Grosse
From: Eric Grosse @ 2000-06-16 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Hmm, CHAP is actually just as cleartext as PAP, except that the
> cleartext stage is in a different place in the network.

Even challenge/response is theoretically susceptible to dictionary
attack by a passive wiretapper.  We have implemented encrypted key
exchange techniques that we hope to release before long.  These
help you bootstrap to a strong password, so challenge/response can
then be safely used.

* Re: [9fans] Questions: PPP/PAP and S3 Trio 3D/2X
@ 2000-06-16 14:10 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-06-16 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	Hmm, CHAP is actually just as cleartext as PAP, except that the
	cleartext stage is in a different place in the network.

We try to make sure the passwords used in challenge/response
protocols, in particular the main Plan 9 authentication protocol,
never go on the network.  For instance, netkey checks that you're
on a terminal:

term% cpu
% netkey
netkey must not be run on the cpu server
%

-rob

* [9fans] Questions: PPP/PAP and S3 Trio 3D/2X
@ 2000-06-15  6:08 Randolph Fritz
From: Randolph Fritz @ 2000-06-15  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Is there any support for PPP/PAP on Plan 9?  AFAIK, It's the only
thing my ISP supports.

Has anyone tried an S3 Trio 3D/2X (aka Diamond MM SpeedStar a55,
86C362 chipset) with Plan 9?  It's an inexpensive, widely available
video card which meets my needs and, if it'll work with Plan 9, I plan
to buy one.

--
Randolph Fritz
Eugene, Oregon, USA