* Re: [9fans] 9load and plan9.ini - support for "Multiple Configurations"
@ 2001-02-02 16:38 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-02-02 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Feb  2 04:38:44 EST 2001, nw@metadesign.com.au wrote:
> In the description of plan9.ini:
>
> 	http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/8/plan9.ini
>
> there is a section labelled "Multiple Configurations"
>
> I changed my /n/9fat/plan9.ini to include [menu]/[common] tags, but on
> rebooting I do not get a menu.
>
> A casual perusal of /sys/src/boot/pc/* and I cannot find any code
> which processes the menu display or selection.
>
> I have some questions:
>
> Is there something wrong with my plan9.ini (reproduced below)?
>
> Where is the code to interpret the tags?
>
> Is there accepted practice for identifying and specifying the
> version/build/release/revision of Plan 9?
>
> As a general strategy if I receive answers to these questions should I
> add them to the Plan 9 wiki?
>
> /n/9fat/plan9.ini:
>
> [menu]
> menuitem=vgasmall,	Plan 9 with 640x480 vga
> menuitem=vgabig,	Plan 9 with 1024x768 vga
> menudefault=vgasmall
> [vgabig]
> vgasize=1024x768x8
> [vgasmall]
> vgasize=640x480x8
> [common]
> bootfile=sdC0!9fat!9pcdisk
> bootdisk=local!#S/sdC0/fs
> debug=1
> *nomp=1
> distname=plan9
> partition=new
> ether0=type=i82557 10BASE-T
> monitor=multisync
> mouseport=ps2

You are somehow seeing our internal, updated, man page.
The multiple configuration part of 9load is recent and
not in the 9load you have.

* Re: [9fans] 9load and plan9.ini - support for "Multiple Configurations"
@ 2001-02-02 16:41 ` Mike Acar
From: Mike Acar @ 2001-02-02 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
> You are somehow seeing our internal, updated, man page.
> The multiple configuration part of 9load is recent and
> not in the 9load you have.

You might be interested too to see
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/4/usb

Seems like you're leaking...

--
Brilliance and gorgeousness                        |   Mike Acar
And we tell ourselves we don't want the treasures  |   mike@trolltech.com

* Re: [9fans] 9load and plan9.ini - support for "Multiple Configurations"
@ 2001-02-05  9:56 ` nw
From: nw @ 2001-02-05  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001 16:54:24 GMT, jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
>> Is there accepted practice for identifying and specifying the
>> version/build/release/revision of Plan 9?

Would a wiki page containing headings corresponding to the output of
"wrap/info plan9", in reverse date order, interspersed with generally
accepted patches (like rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com DNS fix of Sun, 3 Dec
2000) be a useful approach?

>You are somehow seeing our internal, updated, man page.
>The multiple configuration part of 9load is recent and
>not in the 9load you have.

"I merely clicked Your Honor and it was there, I know not how"

* Re: [9fans] 9load and plan9.ini - support for "Multiple Configurations"
@ 2001-02-07  9:47   ` nw
From: nw @ 2001-02-07  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001 09:56:23 GMT, nw@metadesign.com.au wrote:
>Would a wiki page containing headings corresponding to the output of
>"wrap/info plan9", in reverse date order, interspersed with generally
>accepted patches (like rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com DNS fix of Sun, 3 Dec
>2000) be a useful approach?

Now I see it is as unnecessary as it is nicely summarised here:

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/9down/ureg?haveread=yes&exportok=yes

* [9fans] 9load and plan9.ini - support for "Multiple Configurations"
@ 2001-02-02  9:33 nw