* [9fans] A note on using E
@ 2009-08-04  9:04 Aaron W. Hsu
From: Aaron W. Hsu @ 2009-08-04  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Just a note on using E with p9p. I forgot to start the plumber. That's
kind of important if you want to use E. :-)

	Aaron W. Hsu

--
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
victims may be the most oppressive. -- C. S. Lewis

* Re: [9fans] A note on using E
@ 2009-08-05  4:39 ` 6o205zd02
From: 6o205zd02 @ 2009-08-05  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 09:04 +0000, Aaron W. Hsu arcfide-at-sacrideo.us |
9fans| wrote:
> Just a note on using E with p9p. I forgot to start the plumber. That's
> kind of important if you want to use E. :-)
>
> 	Aaron W. Hsu

Yup.  The script I use to start acme (in p9p) in my preferred
configuration (autoindent, 3 columns, specific fonts) uses my
'ensure_plumber' script:

#!/bin/sh
if 9p stat plumb > /dev/null 2>&1
then
        exit
else
        plumber
fi

to ensure that the plumber is running.  This works nicely for me, as I
can exit and restart acme, and the plumber continues running.  When I
log out of this linux system, however, t appears that the plumber is not
killed, and the next time I log in and start acme, the script sees that
the plumber is still running and doesn't start it.  Unfortunately, that
running plumber doesn't seem to be work right because when I click on a
URL in acme it doesn't get opened in my web browser.  I have to kill and
restart the plumber to get this to work.

I haven't been able to figure what is actually going wrong.  Any hints
or suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

	thanks,
	Peter Canning

* Re: [9fans] A note on using E
@ 2009-08-05  5:54   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2009-08-05  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> #!/bin/sh
> if 9p stat plumb > /dev/null 2>&1
> then
>        exit
> else
>        plumber
> fi
>
> to ensure that the plumber is running.  This works nicely for me, as I
> can exit and restart acme, and the plumber continues running.  When I
> log out of this linux system, however, it appears that the plumber is not
> killed, and the next time I log in and start acme, the script sees that
> the plumber is still running and doesn't start it.  Unfortunately, that
> running plumber doesn't seem to be work right because when I click on a
> URL in acme it doesn't get opened in my web browser.  I have to kill and
> restart the plumber to get this to work.

The problem is that the old plumber does not have
access to your new X desktop, so it cannot start
a new firefox nor can it tell one running on the new
desktop to do anything.

The solution is to restart plumber always, perhaps in
your .xinitrc.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] A note on using E
@ 2009-08-05 16:51   ` Aaron W. Hsu
From: Aaron W. Hsu @ 2009-08-05 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 00:42:16 -0400, <6o205zd02@sneakemail.com> wrote:

> This works nicely for me, as I
> can exit and restart acme, and the plumber continues running.  When I
> log out of this linux system, however, t appears that the plumber is not
> killed, and the next time I log in and start acme, the script sees that
> the plumber is still running and doesn't start it.  Unfortunately, that
> running plumber doesn't seem to be work right because when I click on a
> URL in acme it doesn't get opened in my web browser.  I have to kill and
> restart the plumber to get this to work.
>
> I haven't been able to figure what is actually going wrong.  Any hints
> or suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

I have a few programs that need to be stopped when I log out, that aren't
stopped automatically (ssh-agent, plumber). I use KDE, so to do this, I
have a set of shutdown scripts that kill these processes on logout and
start them on login. Your window manager may have something similar for
you to use.

--

@ 2009-08-06  4:05     ` 6o205zd02
From: 6o205zd02 @ 2009-08-06  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 22:54 -0700, Russ Cox rsc-at-swtch.com |9fans|
wrote:
> The problem is that the old plumber does not have
> access to your new X desktop, so it cannot start
> a new firefox nor can it tell one running on the new
> desktop to do anything.
>
> The solution is to restart plumber always, perhaps in
> your .xinitrc.
>
> Russ

Ah, that makes sense.

Thanks for explanation Russ.