* [9fans] install new 9load
@ 2004-10-26 17:28 Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-10-26 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Moin,

because of my 9load problem I've done a replica/pull from the current
iso. The I try

cd /usr/src/boot/pc; mk
9fat:
cp 9load /n/9fat/9LOAD

The reboot didn't work. It hangs after PBS...

How do I setup the new 9LOAD?
Matthias

* Re: [9fans] install new 9load
@ 2004-10-26 18:01 ` Alberto Cortes
From: Alberto Cortes @ 2004-10-26 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:28:13 +0000, Matthias Teege wrote:
> cd /usr/src/boot/pc; mk
> 9fat:
> cp 9load /n/9fat/9LOAD
>
> The reboot didn't work. It hangs after PBS...
>
> How do I setup the new 9LOAD?

PBS search for 9LOAD in a fixed position, you can not put it anywhere
on the disk (i.e. you can not cp it to /n/9fat/).

Go for "disk/format"

9load(8)
prep(8)  <- quick answer

--
http://montoya.aig.uc3m.es/~acortes/index.html

* Re: [9fans] install new 9load
@ 2004-10-26 18:09   ` Alberto Cortes
From: Alberto Cortes @ 2004-10-26 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:01:31 +0000, Alberto Cortes wrote:
> you can not put it anywhere on the disk

I mean you have to store it in a fixed position not wherever the DOS
filesystem wants to.

sorry for my english :)

--

@ 2004-10-26 19:13     ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-10-26 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberto Cortes, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I mean you have to store it in a fixed position not wherever the DOS
> filesystem wants to.

yes, russ posted on this.

these old clues might help:

    http://www.insultant.net/repo/plan9/usbflop.html

* Re: [9fans] install new 9load
@ 2004-10-26 21:50 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-10-26 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Teege, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> cd /usr/src/boot/pc; mk
> 9fat:
> cp 9load /n/9fat/9LOAD

so far so good, but call it 9load
not 9LOAD.  then chmod +a /n/9fat/9load
(it's magic).

* Re: [9fans] install new 9load
@ 2004-10-28  2:10   ` Rajendran A
From: Rajendran A @ 2004-10-28  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I am trying to install Plan 9 for the first time on my PC. I
downloaded the boot disk image and created a boot disk. While trying
to boot the system using it, I get the following message:

PBS... Plan 9 from Bell Labs
ELCR: 0E28
apm ax=f000 cx=f000 dx=fdf9 di=0 ebx=7e8c esi=f03e4

and then the system hangs. I then downloaded the cd iso image and
created a bootable CD. While trying to boot from the CD, I get the
same message and the system hangs.

Any idea what is going wrong?

Thanks,
Raj.

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:50:24 -0400, Russ Cox <russcox@gmail.com> wrote:
> > cd /usr/src/boot/pc; mk
> > 9fat:
> > cp 9load /n/9fat/9LOAD
>
> so far so good, but call it 9load
> not 9LOAD.  then chmod +a /n/9fat/9load
> (it's magic).

* Re: [9fans] install new 9load
@ 2004-10-28  3:04     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-10-28  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rappavu, 9fans

> I am trying to install Plan 9 for the first time on my PC. I
> downloaded the boot disk image and created a boot disk. While trying
> to boot the system using it, I get the following message:
>
> PBS... Plan 9 from Bell Labs
> ELCR: 0E28
> apm ax=f000 cx=f000 dx=fdf9 di=0 ebx=7e8c esi=f03e4
>
> and then the system hangs. I then downloaded the cd iso image and
> created a bootable CD. While trying to boot from the CD, I get the
> same message and the system hangs.
>
> Any idea what is going wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Raj.

is your hard drive on the same IDE cable as the cdrom?

* Re: [9fans] install new 9load
@ 2004-10-28  3:30       ` Vester Thacker
From: Vester Thacker @ 2004-10-28  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:04:58 -0600, andrey mirtchovski
<mirtchov@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> wrote:

> is your hard drive on the same IDE cable as the cdrom?

Also, replace the cable to determine if it is faulty. Other ideas,
review your BIOS settings and IRQ settings. Ensure that you are not
sharing IRQs between devices. If you aren't using a device, disable it
in BIOS. See if this helps, if not I have more suggestions.

-vester

* Re: [9fans] install new 9load
@ 2004-10-28 16:31         ` Rajendran A
       [not found]           ` <86209de9e9812a23c76766c108e29bfc@quintile.net>
From: Rajendran A @ 2004-10-28 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vester Thacker; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

No, cdrom and hard disk are on different cables. cdrom is connected to
the primary IDE controller and the hard disk is connected to the
secondary IDE controller.

I have Linux and Windows already installed on my hard disk and are working fine.

-Raj.

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 04:30:46 +0100, Vester Thacker
<vester.thacker@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:04:58 -0600, andrey mirtchovski
> <mirtchov@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> wrote:
> >
> > is your hard drive on the same IDE cable as the cdrom?
>
> Also, replace the cable to determine if it is faulty. Other ideas,
> review your BIOS settings and IRQ settings. Ensure that you are not
> sharing IRQs between devices. If you aren't using a device, disable it
> in BIOS. See if this helps, if not I have more suggestions.
>
> -vester

* Re: [9fans] install new 9load
@ 2004-10-28 16:40           ` Steve Simon
       [not found]           ` <86209de9e9812a23c76766c108e29bfc@quintile.net>
From: Steve Simon @ 2004-10-28 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rappavu, 9fans

The Plan9 installation assumes that your disk is the
primary master and the cdrom is the CDROM the secondary
master.

Not doing this will cause hassle later in the install
(though it can be done). I reccomend you try swapping
them over.

I don't understand why this could cause the install to
crash so early though, I guess there is another problem
also.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] install new 9load
       [not found]           ` <86209de9e9812a23c76766c108e29bfc@quintile.net>
@ 2004-10-28 18:30             ` Rajendran A
From: Rajendran A @ 2004-10-28 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I tried swapping the cables and made hard disk primary master and the
cdrom secondary master. Then booting using Plan 9 CD, gives the
message:

PBS... Plan 9 from Bell Labs
ELCR: 0E28
apm ax=f000 cx=f000 dx=fdf9 di=0 ebx=7e8c esi=f03e4

and attempts to read the floppy drive and hangs with the floppy read
light on.. I don't have any disk in the floppy drive. Same thing
happens when I try to boot using the floppy disk.

-Raj.

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:40:51 +0100, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
> The Plan9 installation assumes that your disk is the
> primary master and the cdrom is the CDROM the secondary
> master.
>
> Not doing this will cause hassle later in the install
> (though it can be done). I reccomend you try swapping
> them over.
>
> I don't understand why this could cause the install to
> crash so early though, I guess there is another problem
> also.
>
> -Steve

* Re: [9fans] install new 9load
@ 2004-10-30  9:01   ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-10-30  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:50:24 -0400, Russ Cox <russcox@gmail.com> wrote:
> > cd /usr/src/boot/pc; mk
> > 9fat:
> > cp 9load /n/9fat/9LOAD
>
> so far so good, but call it 9load
> not 9LOAD.  then chmod +a /n/9fat/9load

chmod gives me "can't wstat /n/9fat/9load: permission denied"
Matthias

* Re: [9fans] install new 9load
@ 2004-10-30  9:05     ` Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2004-10-30  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Teege, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> chmod gives me "can't wstat /n/9fat/9load: permission denied"
> Matthias

dossrv(4)

Your 9load is messed up. prep(8)