* [9fans] How do I edit vgadb?
@ 2000-06-27  8:32 Nathaniel Banks
From: Nathaniel Banks @ 2000-06-27  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Well, I made it through installing Plan 9 by editing /lib/vgadb in MS
Windows.  The install completed, and now I need to make the same change to
the installed system's /lib/vgadb.  At user[none], if I enter glenda, the
system can't start the gui, and when I ls, I get an incomplete file
structure listed.  If I just choose none, if I type in ed to try and edit
anything, I just get a line that says ?TMP, and another % prompt.

Any ideas on what I might have missed?

Nathaniel Banks
Political Science Major
Western Michigan University

* [9fans] Re: How do I edit vgadb?
@ 2000-06-27 10:11 ` Holger Veit
From: Holger Veit @ 2000-06-27 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 08:32:02 GMT, Nathaniel Banks <x98banks2@wmich.edu> wrote:
>Well, I made it through installing Plan 9 by editing /lib/vgadb in MS
>Windows.  The install completed, and now I need to make the same change to
>the installed system's /lib/vgadb.  At user[none], if I enter glenda, the
>system can't start the gui, and when I ls, I get an incomplete file
>structure listed.  If I just choose none, if I type in ed to try and edit
>anything, I just get a line that says ?TMP, and another % prompt.
>
>Any ideas on what I might have missed?

Use glenda as the user, and do
chmod 775 /usr/glenda/tmp

Unfortunately, 'ed' is the tool of choice in this case, unless you have
a second machine: in this case copy the /lib/vgadb to the DOS formatted floppy
(use a: and cp /lib/vgadb /n/a:) and edit the file on the remote host.

Holger

--
begin  LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.txt.vbs
You are using dangerous junk software which will arbitrarily interpret

* [9fans] Re: How do I edit vgadb?
@ 2000-07-05  8:33 ` Bruce G. Stewart
From: Bruce G. Stewart @ 2000-07-05  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ed is kvetching because there it cannot create a file in the directory named
in the environment variable TMP.
Your best bet is to log in as glenda, not none. That way you'll have a tmp
directory available.

@ 2000-07-05 10:01   ` Holger Veit
From: Holger Veit @ 2000-07-05 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000 08:33:23 GMT,
	Bruce G. Stewart <bruce.g.stewart@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>ed is kvetching because there it cannot create a file in the directory named
>in the environment variable TMP.
>Your best bet is to log in as glenda, not none. That way you'll have a tmp
>directory available.

chmod 755 "your tmp dir"
	or
ramfs

Holger

--
I like to CON other people. I also like to inSULT other people. Both
combined, apparently, becoming a CONSULTant is the best job for me.