* [9fans] plan 9 uses
@ 2001-01-03  9:43 Liberat0r
From: Liberat0r @ 2001-01-03  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi I am interested in plan 9. I was wondering is plan9 in use as a server
firewall etc. or is it mostly just a hobby OS. i am very interested in plan
9 becasue it is the up and coming thing, like linux was and i would love to
help it suceed. i was wondering what major issues need fixing and how a plan
9 newbie sould help.

thanks for your time
collin greene

* [9fans] Re: plan 9 uses
@ 2001-01-04  9:52 ` Deztroyer-a1
From: Deztroyer-a1 @ 2001-01-04  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Plan 9 is not a hobby os, it is developed by professionals/scientists fro a
computing need. Unlike Linux, we don't play games in Plan 9 (as I used to
in Linux. Even if you want to, the game packages were removed). You can't
join the Plan 9 development project, unless you're in bell labs or you're
going to release your own specificed Plan 9 distribution. However, if "they"
find anything good in your plan 9 release, they have gained the right to
obtain a copy of your source code. Should you fail to supply your source
code, your license will be terminated at no time :-)

Plan 9 is an released under open-source licensing, and it is not an open
source development project. So, we all are only available to "look" and
develop some text editor and stuff like that. No right has given to us to
join the development project though.

TIPS: have a good look at the licensing scheme, because if you're used to
the so-called GPL license, you won't like the plan 9's license at all. As
I've seen somebody jumping up and down because of the restriction.

God bless
Alex
--
"WE hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal,
that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,