* [9fans] BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings
@ 2010-05-04 10:58 EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-05-04 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Here is a second cut on the bibliographies...

Please note that I removed the crossrefs from the previous versions because
they are causing the tools to freeze.  Also, this will facilitate converting
them to refer (a 9fans users request).  I was not able to copy/paste all the
bibliographies because some of the papers trashed the past buffer (probably a
unicode problem).  Last, but not least, a muscle-memory key sequence which
saves a file in my editor just happens to be the same key sequence which cuts
all selected items and saves them in one of the database tools I am using.  It
is possible that I have inadvertently lost some of the items. (WHAT A
PAIN!!!!).  So if you find any missing entries, please let me know...

Please send me any corrections, updates, etc.

  Best regards,

  EBo --

[-- Attachment #2: iwp9_2006.bib --]
[-- Type: text/x-bibtex; name="iwp9_2006.bib", Size: 14960 bytes --]

% This file was created with JabRef 2.6.
% Encoding: ISO8859_1

@INPROCEEDINGS{StanleyMarbell:2006:ETI,
  author = {Stanley-Marbell, Phillip },
  title = {Experience Teaching an Inferno Course },
  booktitle = {First International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Rey Juan Carlos Univerity,
	Madrid, Spain}, December 4--5},
  year = {2006},
  pages = {5},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2006:2006:FIW},
  abstract = {In the spring of 2004, a semester-long course for undergraduates was
	organized as part of CMU’s student-taught StuCo (student college)
	curriculum. The course covered material ranging from a historical
	background on Inferno’s development, the Limbo programming language
	and related systems such as Communicating Sequential Processes (CSP),
	to the implementations of the Inferno emulator and native operating
	system. This paper details the structure of the course, lessons learned
	explaining concepts about the Inferno and Plan 9 operating systems
	and presents examples of questions raised and misconceptions incurred
	by students during the 12 week course.},
  location = {{Rey Juan Carlos Univerity, Madrid, Spain}},
  url = {http://lsub.org/iwp9/cready/stuco.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Uriel:2006:SLT,
  author = {Uriel, M.},
  title = {Shifs: A Language to Build File Servers},
  booktitle = {First International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Rey Juan Carlos Univerity,
	Madrid, Spain}, December 4--5},
  year = {2006},
  pages = {4},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2006:2006:FIW},
  location = {{Rey Juan Carlos Univerity, Madrid, Spain}},
  url = {http://lsub.org/iwp9/cready/shifs.ps}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Ellis:2006:DC,
  author = { Ellis, Bruce},
  title = {Dis on a Chip - Design, Challenges, Implementation},
  booktitle = {First International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Rey Juan Carlos Univerity,
	Madrid, Spain}, December 4--5},
  year = {2006},
  pages = {1},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2006:2006:FIW},
  abstract = {Increasingly complex systems are now targeted at programmable logic
	chips, as they have increased in size and versatility nearly as fast
	as is needed, and the verification and simulation tools are becoming
	realistic. The Dis VM is a particularly good fit for a FPGA, though
	quite a challenge. We explore the design and implementation of the
	Dis VM purely in an HDL.},
  location = {{Rey Juan Carlos Univerity, Madrid, Spain}},
  url = {http://lsub.org/iwp9/cready/talk_brucee.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Mullender:2006:RTI,
  author = { Mullender, Sape and McKie, Jim},
  title = {Real Time in Plan 9},
  booktitle = {First International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Rey Juan Carlos Univerity,
	Madrid, Spain}, December 4--5},
  year = {2006},
  pages = {9},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2006:2006:FIW},
  abstract = {We describe our experience with the implementation and use of a hard
	real-time scheduler for use in Plan 9 as an embedded operating system.},
  location = {{Rey Juan Carlos Univerity, Madrid, Spain}},
  url = {http://lsub.org/iwp9/cready/realtime.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Shah:2006:CSF,
  author = { Shah,Abhey and Caves, Leo},
  title = {ConcepOntoFs: A Semantic File System for Inferno},
  booktitle = {First International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Rey Juan Carlos Univerity,
	Madrid, Spain}, December 4--5},
  year = {2006},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2006:2006:FIW},
  location = {{Rey Juan Carlos Univerity, Madrid, Spain}},
  url = {http://lsub.org/iwp9/cready/abheyshahplan9.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Belinfante:2006:ETM,
  author = { Belinfante, Axel},
  title = {Experiments Towards Model-Based Testing Using Plan 9: Labelled Transition
	File Systems, Stacking File Systems, On-the-fly Coverage Measuring},
  booktitle = {First International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Rey Juan Carlos Univerity,
	Madrid, Spain}, December 4--5},
  year = {2006},
  pages = {9},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2006:2006:FIW},
  abstract = {We present a novel \x1clesystem that allows the automatic arrangement
	of the data contained within it into directories of similar entities.
	The example source dataset used is of micro array gene expression
	data and with this data set the Gene Ontology can be used to name
	the newly created directories.},
  location = {{Rey Juan Carlos Univerity, Madrid, Spain}},
  url = {http://lsub.org/iwp9/cready/main-no-backrefs.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{StanleyMarbell:2006:IOD,
  author = { Stanley-Marbell, Phillip},
  title = {Implementation of a Distributed Full-System Simulation Framework
	as a Filesystem Server},
  booktitle = {First International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Rey Juan Carlos Univerity,
	Madrid, Spain}, December 4--5},
  year = {2006},
  pages = {11},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2006:2006:FIW},
  abstract = {Full-system simulation of systems comprising hundreds of microcontrollers,
	at the level of instruction execution, along with simulation of their
	peripherals, inter-device communication, power consumption and the
	like, can be tasking even on high-end workstations. To enable the
	partitioning of these simulations, which have a high degree of coarse-grained
	parallelism, over a network of workstations, a multi-platform simulation
	environment was implemented using the Inferno system. The implementation
	enables the simulation engine, written in ANSI C, and compiled as
	a library, to be linked against the Inferno emulator with a custom
	device driver interface. Using a glue application written in Limbo,
	and harnessing ideas from parallel discrete-event simulation, the
	framework enables simulations of networks of embedded systems to
	be partitioned across workstations of heterogeneous architectures.
	This paper presents the distributed simulation architecture, the
	design of the emulator device driver (the interface to the simulation
	engine), the graphical interface and glue application, and the packaging
	of the system as single-binary modules for multiple platforms. Also
	presented is a step-by-step guide for developers unfamiliar with
	Inferno for creating similar systems.},
  location = {{Rey Juan Carlos Univerity, Madrid, Spain}},
  url = {http://lsub.org/iwp9/cready/pstanley_fs.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Sato:2006:LES,
  author = {Sato, Yoshihide and Maruyama, Katsumi},
  title = {LP49: Embedded system OS based on L4 and Plan 9},
  booktitle = {First International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Rey Juan Carlos Univerity,
	Madrid, Spain}, December 4--5},
  year = {2006},
  pages = {10},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2006:2006:FIW},
  abstract = {Distributed processing is required in embedded systems and home servers
	(From here on in this paper, embedded systems will be taken to include
	the idea of home servers). The distributed processing model of Plan
	9 is very effective and flexible, and it is attractive for embedded
	systems. The 9P protocol is useful for inter-system communication.
	The private name space of Plan 9 also enables flexible and safe distributed
	processing in embedded systems.},
  location = {{Rey Juan Carlos Univerity, Madrid, Spain}},
  url = {http://lsub.org/iwp9/cready/lp49_iwp9_camera_ready.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Ballesteros:2006:GMB,
  author = { Ballesteros, Francisco J. and Salvador, Enrique Soriano},
  title = {Give Me Back My Personal Mainframe: Lessons Learned from Plan B and
	Position Statement},
  booktitle = {First International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Rey Juan Carlos Univerity,
	Madrid, Spain}, December 4--5},
  year = {2006},
  pages = {7},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2006:2006:FIW},
  abstract = {Trends in system research move more and more towards a peer to peer
	world. Complex issues in distributed systems are eagerly addressed,
	the more complex the problem the better. We work to develop a highly
	distributed, dynamic, and heterogeneous computing environment. We
	have been using Plan B, a modified Plan 9 system that adapts to changes
	in the environment, and learned some lessons by using it. Some ideas
	worked nicely, other ones did not. In the end, we ask ourselves:
	are we on the right track? Or are we going to learn from Google?},
  location = {{Rey Juan Carlos Univerity, Madrid, Spain}},
  url = {http://lsub.org/iwp9/cready/mainframe.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Arisawa:2006:PAW,
  author = { Arisawa, Kenji},
  title = {Pegasus another web server for Plan 9},
  booktitle = {First International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Rey Juan Carlos Univerity,
	Madrid, Spain}, December 4--5},
  year = {2006},
  pages = {18},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2006:2006:FIW},
  abstract = {Pegasus is another web server for Plan 9 operating system. Pegasus
	enables natural management of web documents: creator of web pages
	should be able to do everything for the pages. To enable such management
	in secure manner, the server is running in name space that is separated
	from other user’s documents. This feature comes from novel ability
	of Plan 9: per process name space configuration. This paper presents
	briefly the feature of Pegasus.},
  location = {{Rey Juan Carlos Univerity, Madrid, Spain}},
  url = {http://lsub.org/iwp9/cready/pegasus-5.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Ionkov:2006:IUF,
  author = { Ionkov, Latchesar},
  title = {Implementing Union Filesystem as a 9P2000 File Server},
  booktitle = {First International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Rey Juan Carlos Univerity,
	Madrid, Spain}, December 4--5},
  year = {2006},
  pages = {7},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2006:2006:FIW},
  abstract = {This paper describes the design and implementation of a 9P2000 file
	server that allows mounting multiple 9P2000 file servers on the same
	mount point. The goal was to explore the challenges of such implementation.},
  location = {{Rey Juan Carlos Univerity, Madrid, Spain}},
  url = {http://lsub.org/iwp9/cready/unfs.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Ionkov:2006:XCM,
  author = { Ionkov, Latchesar and Minnich, Ron and Mirtchovski, Andrey},
  title = {The Xcpu Cluster Management Framework},
  booktitle = {First International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Rey Juan Carlos Univerity,
	Madrid, Spain}, December 4--5},
  year = {2006},
  pages = {8},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2006:2006:FIW},
  abstract = {This paper describes the organization and implementation of the Xcpu
	cluster man- agement framework currently in use at the Los Alamos
	National Laboratory. Xcpu is used to start, monitor and control jobs
	on a variety of remote nodes in a cluster environment. Xcpu can be
	used for computation both on lightweight nodes with no local storage
	as well as full-blown installations of various operating systems.
	It is portable amongst all UNIX and UNIX-like operating systems.
	Xcpu has been optimized to scale to hundreds and thousands of nodes.},
  location = {{Rey Juan Carlos Univerity, Madrid, Spain}},
  url = {http://lsub.org/iwp9/cready/xcpu-madrid.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{VanHensbergen:2006:PI,
  author = {{Van Hensbergen}, Eric and Goss, Ken},
  title = {PROSE I/O},
  booktitle = {First International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Rey Juan Carlos Univerity,
	Madrid, Spain}, December 4--5},
  year = {2006},
  pages = {10},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2006:2006:FIW},
  location = {{Rey Juan Carlos Univerity, Madrid, Spain}},
  url = {http://lsub.org/iwp9/cready/PROSE_iwp9_2006.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Guardiola:2006:P9S,
  author = { Guardiola, Gorka and Cox, Russ and {Van Hensbergen}, Eric },
  title = {Persistent 9P Sessions for Plan 9},
  booktitle = {First International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Rey Juan Carlos Univerity,
	Madrid, Spain}, December 4--5},
  year = {2006},
  pages = {5},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2006:2006:FIW},
  abstract = {Traditionally, Plan 9 runs mainly on local networks, where lost connections
	are rare. As a result, most programs, including the kernel, do not
	bother to plan for their file server connections to fail. These programs
	must be restarted when a connection does fail. If the kernel’s
	connection to the root file server fails, the machine must be rebooted.
	This approach suffices only because lost connections are rare. Across
	long distance networks, where connection failures are more common,
	it becomes woefully inadequate. To address this problem, we wrote
	a program called recover, which proxies a 9P session on behalf of
	a client and takes care of redialing the remote server and reestablishing
	connection state as necessary, hiding network failures from the client.
	This paper presents the design and implementation of recover, along
	with performance benchmarks on Plan 9 and on Linux.},
  location = {{Rey Juan Carlos Univerity, Madrid, Spain}},
  url = {http://lsub.org/iwp9/cready/recover.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Collyer:2006:SNS,
  author = { Collyer, Geoff and Cox, Russ and Ellis, Bruce and Tavakkolian, Fariborz},
  title = {Shared Name Spaces},
  booktitle = {First International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Rey Juan Carlos Univerity,
	Madrid, Spain}, December 4--5},
  year = {2006},
  pages = {6},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2006:2006:FIW},
  abstract = {One of the strengths of the Plan 9 operating system is its ability
	to multiplex name spaces efficiently. Another key Plan 9 concept
	is the 9P file protocol, and its uniform application to all resources
	– stored files and devices. The Shared Name Space system is a technique
	to dynamically manage name spaces exported by a group of users into
	an aggregate name space, and reflect it back to each group member.
	The net effect is a mechanism for providing a virtual network service
	that competes favorably with peer-to- peer networks, or central-storage
	file sharing and has advantages over both. Although currently the
	only resources that are sharable are stored files, the system allows
	sharing of other types of resources in the future. These would include
	mouse, keyboard, and display, making services such as remote desktop
	access or on-line collaboration and conferencing possible. The Rangboom
	Adhoc Virtual Networks service is a commercial endeavor based on
	this technology. It provides remote file access and file sharing
	service to broadband Internet users. It is initially targeted for
	devices running Microsoft Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.},
  location = {{Rey Juan Carlos Univerity, Madrid, Spain}},
  url = {http://lsub.org/iwp9/cready/snspaper.pdf}
}

@PROCEEDINGS{IWP9_2006:2006:FIW,
  title = {First International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Rey Juan Carlos Univerity,
	Madrid, Spain}, December 4--5},
  year = {2006},
  organization = {IWP9},
  key = {{IWP9_2006}},
  location = {{Rey Juan Carlos Univerity, Madrid, Spain}},
  url = {http://lsub.org/iwp9/program.html}
}

[-- Attachment #3: iwp9_2007.bib --]
[-- Type: text/x-bibtex; name="iwp9_2007.bib", Size: 11633 bytes --]

% This file was created with JabRef 2.6.
% Encoding: ISO8859_1

@INPROCEEDINGS{Ballesteros:2007:OSB,
  author = {Ballesteros, Francisco and Guardiola, Gorka and Soriano, Enrique},
  title = {Op: Styx batching for High Latency Links},
  booktitle = {Second International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Bell Laboratories, Murray
	Hill, NJ, USA}, December 3--4},
  year = {2007},
  pages = {11},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2007:2007:SIW},
  abstract = {We are designing an operating system based on Inferno, which centralizes
	everything on a machine we call the PC. Terminals connect to it through
	the internet to export local devices and viewers and programs wrapped
	in Styx file servers. The problem this approach faces is that Styx
	behaves badly for high latency links, no matter what the bandwidth
	is because of the RPC round-trip time accumulation. We have implemented
	a new protocol, Op (Octopus Protocol), which reduces drastically
	the num­ ber of RPCs needed for the operations and so behaves well
	for high latency links. Furthermore, we have implemented a client
	and a server that can be used to interconnect different Styx islands
	in a transparent way, keeping all other software unaware of the new
	protocol. The ideas here could be used, for example, for the Plan
	9 sources at Bell Labs, in order to make upgrades much faster across
	the internet.},
  location = {{Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ, USA}},
  url = {http://plan9.bell-labs.com/iwp9/papers/10.op.esoriano.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Ionkov:2007:U9P,
  author = { Ionkov, Latchesar and Mirtchovski, Andrey},
  title = {Using the 9P Protocol in High-Performance Computing},
  booktitle = {Second International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Bell Laboratories, Murray
	Hill, NJ, USA}, December 3--4},
  year = {2007},
  pages = {12},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2007:2007:SIW},
  location = {{Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ, USA}},
  url = {http://plan9.bell-labs.com/iwp9/papers/11.highperf.lucho.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Evans:2007:RDR,
  author = { Evans, Noah},
  title = {Representing disparate resources by layering namespaces},
  booktitle = {Second International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Bell Laboratories, Murray
	Hill, NJ, USA}, December 3--4},
  year = {2007},
  pages = {5},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2007:2007:SIW},
  location = {{Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ, USA}},
  url = {http://plan9.bell-labs.com/iwp9/papers/12.layerns.trsfs.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Ganti:2007:P9A,
  author = { Ganti, Ashwin},
  title = {Plan 9 Authentication in Linux},
  booktitle = {Second International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Bell Laboratories, Murray
	Hill, NJ, USA}, December 3--4},
  year = {2007},
  pages = {9},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2007:2007:SIW},
  abstract = {This paper talks about the implementation of the Plan 9 authentication
	mechanisms for Linux. As part of this effort I have implemented the
	capability device of Plan 9 as a character device driver for the
	Linux kernel, ported the authentication server to Linux and have
	written a PAM module (used by user space applications like su and
	login) that performs the authentication with the host owner’s factotum.},
  location = {{Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ, USA}},
  url = {http://plan9.bell-labs.com/iwp9/papers/13.p9auth.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Nichols:2007:AAI,
  author = { Nichols, Eric and Matsumoto, Yuji},
  title = {Acme as an Interactive Translation Environment},
  booktitle = {Second International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Bell Laboratories, Murray
	Hill, NJ, USA}, December 3--4},
  year = {2007},
  pages = {11},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2007:2007:SIW},
  abstract = {Translation is challenging and repetitive work. Computer-aided translation
	environments attempt to ease the monotony by automating many tasks
	for human translators, however, it is difficult to design user interfaces
	that are easy to use but that can also be adapted to a dynamic workflow.
	This is often a result of a lack of connection between the interface
	and the tasks that the user wants to carry out. A better correspondence
	between task and interface can be achieved by simplifying how software
	tools are named. One way of accomplishing this to embrace text as
	the interface. By providing a simple and consistent semantics for
	interpreting text as commands, the Acme text editor makes it possible
	to build a system with a text-centered interface. In this paper we
	explore the implications this has for translation aid software.},
  location = {{Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ, USA}},
  url = {http://plan9.bell-labs.com/iwp9/papers/20.acme-trans.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Belinfante:2007:ESF,
  author = { Belinfante, Axel},
  title = {Extensible Synthetic File Servers?},
  booktitle = {Second International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Bell Laboratories, Murray
	Hill, NJ, USA}, December 3--4},
  year = {2007},
  pages = {8},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2007:2007:SIW},
  abstract = {We discuss a few simple scenarios of how we can design and develop
	a compositional synthetic file server that gives access to external
	processes – in particular, in the context of testing, gives access
	to the system under test – such that certain parts of said synthethic
	file server can be prepared as off-the-shelf components to which
	other specifically written parts can be added in a kind of plug-and-play
	fashion. The approaches only deal with the problem of accessing the
	system under test from the point of view of offered functionality,
	and compositionality, but do not consider efficiency or performance.
	The study is rather preliminary, and only very limited practical
	experiments have been performed.},
  location = {{Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ, USA}},
  url = {http://plan9.bell-labs.com/iwp9/papers/21.synthfs.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Ballesteros:2007:TPD,
  author = { Ballesteros, Franciscoand and Soriano, Enrique and Guardiola, Gorka},
  title = {Towards Persistent, Distributed and Replicated User Interfaces in
	the Octopus},
  booktitle = {Second International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Bell Laboratories, Murray
	Hill, NJ, USA}, December 3--4},
  year = {2007},
  pages = {10},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2007:2007:SIW},
  abstract = {In the Octopus each user has a single PC in the network that is used
	to run applications. Any machine in the Internet can be used as a
	user's terminal to access the Octopus, which means that the latency
	between the user interface devices and the central system may be
	utterly high. Multiple machines are used as terminals, simultaneously.
	We have developed a unique user interface file system for the Octopus,
	o/mero, along with a user interface viewer, o/live. Together, they
	can transparently deploy and distribute user interfaces, and any
	of their components, onto one or more terminals connected to the
	PC by the Internet. Individual UI components can be replicated in
	a transparent way, as a convenience for the user. The UIMS is actually
	a file server that maintains the UI elements as files, and is used
	by independent viewers that interact with the user.},
  location = {{Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ, USA}},
  url = {http://plan9.bell-labs.com/iwp9/papers/22.persistui.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Quanstrom:2007:DFS,
  author = {Quanstrom, Erik},
  title = {The Diskless File Server},
  booktitle = {Second International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Bell Laboratories, Murray
	Hill, NJ, USA}, December 3--4},
  year = {2007},
  pages = {7},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2007:2007:SIW},
  abstract = {The Plan 9 Fileserver is structured as a multilevel cache for direct-attached
	WORM storage. I describe how the Fileserver is being adapted for
	modern hardware using network-attached storage (AoE) over 10Gbps
	Ethernet. This structure allows for good performance and high reliability.
	In addition it separates storage maintenance from Fileserver maintenance
	and provides automatic offsite backup without performance penalty.},
  location = {{Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ, USA}},
  url = {http://plan9.bell-labs.com/iwp9/papers/23.disklessfs.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Arisawa:2007:RER,
  author = { Arisawa, Kenji},
  title = {RIT: Embedded Rc in Text},
  booktitle = {Second International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Bell Laboratories, Murray
	Hill, NJ, USA}, December 3--4},
  year = {2007},
  pages = {11},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2007:2007:SIW},
  abstract = {Rit is a PHP like text processor that is designed for use in Plan
	9. Embedded scripts are between "\$\{" and "\}" in text. In processing
	the text, Rit collaborates with Rc – the Plan 9 shell – using
	interprocess communication of Plan 9. This approach has three advantages:
	(1) we can use full functionality of Rc in the embedded area; (2)
	we can make Rit source small and simple; (3) Users need not learn
	new scripting language. This paper describes Rit v.1.5 with some
	examples.},
  location = {{Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ, USA}},
  url = {http://plan9.bell-labs.com/iwp9/papers/24.rit.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Minnich:2007:LP9,
  author = { Minnich, Ron},
  title = {lguest for Plan 9},
  booktitle = {Second International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Bell Laboratories, Murray
	Hill, NJ, USA}, December 3--4},
  year = {2007},
  pages = {12},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2007:2007:SIW},
  abstract = {We describe the port of Plan 9 to the lguest hypervisor. We did this
	port as part of the creation of the THNX distribution, and to learn
	lguest. Inci­ dentally this port has a few general lessons for people
	who port Plan 9. This paper follows a narrative structure, in an
	attempt to show others how a port can be done.},
  location = {{Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ, USA}},
  url = {http://plan9.bell-labs.com/iwp9/papers/25.lguest.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{vanHensbergen:2007:NOL,
  author = {{van Hensbergen}, Eric and et al..},
  title = {Night of the Lepus},
  booktitle = {Second International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Bell Laboratories, Murray
	Hill, NJ, USA}, December 3--4},
  year = {2007},
  pages = {15},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2007:2007:SIW},
  abstract = {The nodes of a Blue Gene supercomputer are connected by five networks,
	four of unusual design. Only the I/O nodes have a conventional IP-based
	Ethernet. Plan 9's internal and external representations of networks
	is simple and clean yet powerful enough to encompass those networks
	directly, without having to emulate existing network types. In supercomputer
	environments, applications often use the network hardware directly,
	but that makes it hard or impossible to share. We wish system services
	to make good use of the specialized networks too, in order to build
	fault-tolerant distributed services. Our kernel must therefore mediate
	access to those networks, just as it does for IP traffic.},
  key = {vanHensbergen},
  location = {{Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ, USA}},
  url = {http://plan9.bell-labs.com/iwp9/papers/26.lepus.pdf}
}

@PROCEEDINGS{IWP9_2007:2007:SIW,
  title = {Second International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {Bell Laboratories, Murray
	Hill, NJ, USA}, December 3--4},
  year = {2007},
  organization = {IWP9},
  key = {{IWP9_2007}},
  location = {{Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ, USA}},
  url = {http://plan9.bell-labs.com/iwp9/papers/00.programme.pdf}
}

[-- Attachment #4: iwp9_2008.bib --]
[-- Type: text/x-bibtex; name="iwp9_2008.bib", Size: 4956 bytes --]

% This file was created with JabRef 2.6.
% Encoding: ISO8859_1

@INPROCEEDINGS{Narayananunk:2008:GPD,
  author = { Narayanan, Anant and Choudhary, Shantanu and Pamarthi, Vinay and
	Gaur, Manoj},
  title = {Glendix: A Plan9/Linux Distribution},
  booktitle = {3'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Thessaly,
	Volos, Greece }, October 30--31},
  year = {2008},
  pages = {1--8},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2008:2008:3IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Thessaly, Volos, Greece}},
  url = {http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/IWP9/2008/glendix.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Guardiolaunk:2008:UPA,
  author = { Guardiola, Gorka and Ballesteros, Francisco J. and Soriano, Enrique},
  title = {Upperware: Pushing the Applications Back Into the System},
  booktitle = {3'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Thessaly,
	Volos, Greece }, October 30--31},
  year = {2008},
  pages = {9--18},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2008:2008:3IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Thessaly, Volos, Greece}},
  url = {http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/IWP9/2008/upperware.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Quanstromunk:2008:SU,
  author = { Quanstrom, Erik},
  title = {Scaling Upas},
  booktitle = {3'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Thessaly,
	Volos, Greece }, October 30--31},
  year = {2008},
  pages = {19--24},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2008:2008:3IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Thessaly, Volos, Greece}},
  url = {http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/IWP9/2008/nupas.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Ionkovunk:2008:VVT,
  author = { Ionkov, Latchesar },
  title = {Vidi: A Venti To Go},
  booktitle = {3'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Thessaly,
	Volos, Greece }, October 30--31},
  year = {2008},
  pages = {25--30},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2008:2008:3IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Thessaly, Volos, Greece}},
  url = {http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/IWP9/2008/vidi.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Peirounk:2008:ID:,
  author = { Peiro, Salva},
  title = {Inferno DS : Inferno port to the Nintendo DS},
  booktitle = {3'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Thessaly,
	Volos, Greece }, October 30--31},
  year = {2008},
  pages = {31--38},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2008:2008:3IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Thessaly, Volos, Greece}},
  url = {http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/IWP9/2008/inferno_DS.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Ellisunk:2008:9ED,
  author = { Ellis, Bruce and Ellis, Tiger},
  title = {9P For Embedded Devices},
  booktitle = {3'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Thessaly,
	Volos, Greece }, October 30--31},
  year = {2008},
  pages = {39--42},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2008:2008:3IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Thessaly, Volos, Greece}},
  url = {http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/IWP9/2008/9p_for_embeded_devices.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Evansunk:2008:MMA,
  author = { Evans, Noah},
  title = {Mrph: A Morphological Analyzer},
  booktitle = {3'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Thessaly,
	Volos, Greece }, October 30--31},
  year = {2008},
  pages = {43--52},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2008:2008:3IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Thessaly, Volos, Greece}},
  url = {http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/IWP9/2008/mrph.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Mullenderunk:2008:SIP,
  author = { Mullender, Sape and Cox, Russ},
  title = {Semaphores in Plan 9},
  booktitle = {3'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Thessaly,
	Volos, Greece }, October 30--31},
  year = {2008},
  pages = {53--62},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossreferenced with IWP9_2008:2008:3IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Thessaly, Volos, Greece}},
  url = {http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/IWP9/2008/semaphores.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Kulkarniunk:2008:VRF,
  author = { Kulkarni, Abhishek and Ionkov, Latchesar},
  title = {v9fb: A Remote Framebuffer Infrastructure for Linux},
  booktitle = {3'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Thessaly,
	Volos, Greece }, October 30--31},
  year = {2008},
  pages = {63--72},
  url = {http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/IWP9/2008/v9fb.pdf}
}

@PROCEEDINGS{IWP9_2008:2008:3IW,
  title = {3'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Thessaly,
	Volos, Greece }, October 30--31},
  year = {2008},
  organization = {IWP9},
  key = {{IWP9_2008}},
  location = {{University of Thessaly, Volos, Greece}},
  pages = {72+},
  pdf = {iwp94e.pdf},
  url = {http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/IWP9/2008/iwp9_proceedings08.pdf}
}

[-- Attachment #5: iwp9_2009.bib --]
[-- Type: text/x-bibtex; name="iwp9_2009.bib", Size: 10992 bytes --]

% This file was created with JabRef 2.6.
% Encoding: ISO8859_1

@INPROCEEDINGS{Filardo:2009:SCV,
  author = {Filardo, N.W. and Srinivas, V.},
  title = {Styx Caching via Journal Callbacks},
  booktitle = {4'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Georgia,
	Athens, GA USA}, October 21--23},
  year = {2009},
  pages = {5--14},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossrefed in IWP9_2009:2009:4IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Georgia, Athens, GA USA}},
  pdf = {styxcache.pdf},
  url = {http://iwp9.org/papers/styxcache.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Amoson:2009:CGI,
  author = {Amoson, J.},
  title = {Complex {GUIs} in {Plan 9}},
  booktitle = {4'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Georgia,
	Athens, GA USA}, October 21--23},
  year = {2009},
  pages = {15--22},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossrefed in IWP9_2009:2009:4IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Georgia, Athens, GA USA}},
  pdf = {gui.pdf},
  url = {http://iwp9.org/papers/gui.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Minnich:2009:UCA,
  author = {Minnich, R.G. and Floren, J. and Mckie, J. },
  title = {Using Currying and Process-Private System Calls to Break the One-Microsecond
	System Call Barrier},
  booktitle = {4'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Georgia,
	Athens, GA USA}, October 21--23},
  year = {2009},
  pages = {23--32},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossrefed in IWP9_2009:2009:4IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Georgia, Athens, GA USA}},
  pdf = {usecsys.pdf},
  url = {http://iwp9.org/papers/usecsys.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Quanstrom:2009:LUP,
  author = {Quanstrom, E.},
  title = {Living Under a Poison Tree},
  booktitle = {4'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Georgia,
	Athens, GA USA}, October 21--23},
  year = {2009},
  pages = {33--38},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossrefed in IWP9_2009:2009:4IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Georgia, Athens, GA USA}},
  pdf = {upasexp.pdf},
  url = {http://iwp9.org/papers/upasexp.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Souza:2009:NBP,
  author = {Souza, I.M.S.},
  title = {A New Boot Process},
  booktitle = {4'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Georgia,
	Athens, GA USA}, October 21--23},
  year = {2009},
  pages = {39--44},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossrefed in IWP9_2009:2009:4IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Georgia, Athens, GA USA}},
  pdf = {9null.pdf},
  url = {http://iwp9.org/papers/9null.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Quanstrom:2009:SR,
  author = {Quanstrom, E.},
  title = {SD Refresh},
  booktitle = {4'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Georgia,
	Athens, GA USA}, October 21--23},
  year = {2009},
  pages = {45--50},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossrefed in IWP9_2009:2009:4IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Georgia, Athens, GA USA}},
  pdf = {sd.pdf},
  url = {http://iwp9.org/papers/sd.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Quanstrom:2009:AAN,
  author = {Quanstrom, E.},
  title = {{ATA} au Naturel},
  booktitle = {4'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Georgia,
	Athens, GA USA}, October 21--23},
  year = {2009},
  pages = {51--56},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossrefed in IWP9_2009:2009:4IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Georgia, Athens, GA USA}},
  pdf = {atazz.pdf},
  url = {http://iwp9.org/papers/atazz.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Ballesteros:2009:P9U,
  author = {Ballesteros, Francisco J.},
  title = {{Plan 9's} Universal Serial Bus},
  booktitle = {4'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Georgia,
	Athens, GA USA}, October 21--23},
  year = {2009},
  pages = {57--72},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossrefed in IWP9_2009:2009:4IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Georgia, Athens, GA USA}},
  pdf = {usb.pdf},
  url = {http://iwp9.org/papers/usb.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Minnich:2009:MKT,
  author = {Minnich, R.G. and Floren, J.},
  title = {Measuring Kernel Throughput on {Blue Gene/P}},
  booktitle = {4'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Georgia,
	Athens, GA USA}, October 21--23},
  year = {2009},
  pages = {73--81},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossrefed in IWP9_2009:2009:4IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Georgia, Athens, GA USA}},
  pdf = {bluegene-20.pdf},
  url = {http://iwp9.org/papers/bluegene-20.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Lonjaret:2009:BB,
  author = {Lonjaret, M. },
  title = {{Btfs} -- a Bittorrent Client},
  booktitle = {4'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Georgia,
	Athens, GA USA}, October 21--23},
  year = {2009},
  pages = {85--88},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossrefed in IWP9_2009:2009:4IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Georgia, Athens, GA USA}},
  pdf = {btfs.pdf},
  url = {http://iwp9.org/papers/btfs.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Johnson:2009:DRC,
  author = {Johnson, S.D. and Himebaugh, B. and Kulkarni, A.},
  title = {Dynamic resource configuration and control for an autonomous robotic
	vehicle},
  booktitle = {4'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Georgia,
	Athens, GA USA}, October 21--23},
  year = {2009},
  pages = {89--92},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossrefed in IWP9_2009:2009:4IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Georgia, Athens, GA USA}},
  pdf = {cart.pdf},
  url = {http://iwp9.org/papers/cart.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Stuart:2009:TEN,
  author = {Stuart, B.L.},
  title = {Two Enhancements for Native {Inferno}},
  booktitle = {4'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Georgia,
	Athens, GA USA}, October 21--23},
  year = {2009},
  pages = {93--96},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossrefed in IWP9_2009:2009:4IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Georgia, Athens, GA USA}},
  pdf = {infenh.pdf},
  url = {http://iwp9.org/papers/infenh.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Lukkien:2009:IAW,
  author = {Lukkien, M.},
  title = {{Ircfs} and {Wm/irc}},
  booktitle = {4'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Georgia,
	Athens, GA USA}, October 21--23},
  year = {2009},
  pages = {97--100},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossrefed in IWP9_2009:2009:4IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Georgia, Athens, GA USA}},
  pdf = {ircfs.pdf},
  url = {http://iwp9.org/papers/ircfs.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{M'uzquiz:2009:KIP,
  author = {{M\'{u}zquiz}, G.G. and Salvador, E.S. and Ballesteros, F.J.},
  title = {{KNX} Implementation for {Plan 9}},
  booktitle = {4'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Georgia,
	Athens, GA USA}, October 21--23},
  year = {2009},
  pages = {101--104},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossrefed in IWP9_2009:2009:4IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Georgia, Athens, GA USA}},
  pdf = {knx.pdf},
  url = {http://iwp9.org/papers/knx.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Stuart:2009:FSL,
  author = {Stuart, B.L.},
  title = {A File System for Laptops},
  booktitle = {4'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Georgia,
	Athens, GA USA}, October 21--23},
  year = {2009},
  pages = {105--108},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossrefed in IWP9_2009:2009:4IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Georgia, Athens, GA USA}},
  pdf = {lapfs.pdf},
  url = {http://iwp9.org/papers/lapfs.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Sickel:2009:LAR,
  author = {Sickel, J.},
  title = {Levitation Across the River {Styx}},
  booktitle = {4'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Georgia,
	Athens, GA USA}, October 21--23},
  year = {2009},
  pages = {109--112},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossrefed in IWP9_2009:2009:4IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Georgia, Athens, GA USA}},
  pdf = {levitation.pdf},
  url = {http://iwp9.org/papers/levitation.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Ballesteros:2009:MA(,
  author = {Ballesteros, F.J.},
  title = {Mail as (real) files},
  booktitle = {4'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Georgia,
	Athens, GA USA}, October 21--23},
  year = {2009},
  pages = {119--122},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossrefed in IWP9_2009:2009:4IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Georgia, Athens, GA USA}},
  pdf = {mails.pdf},
  url = {http://iwp9.org/papers/mails.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Lukkien:2009:IS,
  author = {Lukkien, M.},
  title = {{Inferno} for the {Sheevaplug}},
  booktitle = {4'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Georgia,
	Athens, GA USA}, October 21--23},
  year = {2009},
  pages = {123--126},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossrefed in IWP9_2009:2009:4IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Georgia, Athens, GA USA}},
  pdf = {sheevaplug.pdf},
  url = {http://iwp9.org/papers/sheevaplug.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Lukkien:2009:S2C,
  author = {Lukkien, M.},
  title = {Ssh 2 Client},
  booktitle = {4'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Georgia,
	Athens, GA USA}, October 21--23},
  year = {2009},
  pages = {127--130},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossrefed in IWP9_2009:2009:4IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Georgia, Athens, GA USA}},
  pdf = {ssh2.pdf},
  url = {http://iwp9.org/papers/ssh2.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Ballesteros:2009:FIA,
  author = {Ballesteros, F.J.},
  title = {File Indexing and Searching for {Plan 9}},
  booktitle = {4'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Georgia,
	Athens, GA USA}, October 21--23},
  year = {2009},
  pages = {131--138},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossrefed in IWP9_2009:2009:4IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Georgia, Athens, GA USA}},
  pdf = {tags.pdf},
  url = {http://iwp9.org/papers/tags.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Lukkien:2009:T,
  author = {Lukkien, M.},
  title = {Torrent},
  booktitle = {4'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Georgia,
	Athens, GA USA}, October 21--23},
  year = {2009},
  pages = {139--142},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossrefed in IWP9_2009:2009:4IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Georgia, Athens, GA USA}},
  pdf = {torrent.pdf},
  url = {http://iwp9.org/papers/torrent.pdf}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Covington:2009:HTM,
  author = {Covington, M.A.},
  title = {How To Make a Lumpy {RNG}},
  booktitle = {4'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Georgia,
	Athens, GA USA}, October 21--23},
  year = {2009},
  pages = {113--118},
  organization = {IWP9},
  note = {crossrefed in IWP9_2009:2009:4IW},
  abstract = {...},
  location = {{University of Georgia, Athens, GA USA}},
  pdf = {lumpyrng.pdf},
  url = {http://iwp9.org/papers/lumpyrng.pdf}
}

@PROCEEDINGS{IWP9_2009:2009:4IW,
  title = {4'th International Workshop on {Plan 9}, {University of Georgia,
	Athens, GA USA}, October 21--23},
  year = {2009},
  organization = {IWP9},
  key = {{IWP9_2009}},
  location = {{University of Georgia, Athens, GA USA}},
  pages = {142},
  pdf = {iwp94e.pdf},
  url = {http://iwp9.org/iwp94e.pdf}
}

* [9fans] iwp9.org (Re:  BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-04 19:59 ` Jonas Amoson
From: Jonas Amoson @ 2010-05-04 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ebo, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I am thinking of the durability of the URL:s for the
various IWP9 articles. if www.iwp9.org will be reused
for further hosting, a subdirectory (as in 'papers/4e/')
might be a good idea.I suppose that some domain bloat
is hard to avoid, when things are so decentralised ;-)

/jonas

> Here is a second cut on the bibliographies...

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-06 14:55   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-05-06 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue May  4 16:00:50 EDT 2010, jonas.amoson@home.se wrote:
> I am thinking of the durability of the URL:s for the
> various IWP9 articles. if www.iwp9.org will be reused
> for further hosting, a subdirectory (as in 'papers/4e/')
> might be a good idea.I suppose that some domain bloat
> is hard to avoid, when things are so decentralised ;-)

i've made everything from iwp9 4e available at
http://4e.iwp9.org.  none of the relative urls have
changed; they would be the preferred links.

no firm decision yet on if old links will need to be
broken to allow iwp9.org to be the "current" iwp9.

speaking of which, is there any interest in iwp9 5e?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-06 15:12     ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2010-05-06 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On May 6, 2010, at 9:55 AM, erik quanstrom wrote:

> speaking of which, is there any interest in iwp9 5e?

yes

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-06 16:00       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-05-06 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Me too. I thought 4 was great.

I keep wanting to have a workshop here:
http://www.naturebridge.org/headlands/conference-facilities

It's stunning and SF is right over the bridge. This time around we
could emphasize hacking more than talks, and let people show us what
they've got. Would love to see the disconnected 9p stuff in action,
for example.

ron

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-06 16:01         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-05-06 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu May  6 12:01:32 EDT 2010, rminnich@gmail.com wrote:
> Me too. I thought 4 was great.
>
> I keep wanting to have a workshop here:
> http://www.naturebridge.org/headlands/conference-facilities
>
> It's stunning and SF is right over the bridge. This time around we
> could emphasize hacking more than talks, and let people show us what
> they've got. Would love to see the disconnected 9p stuff in action,
> for example.

are you gonna host?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-06 16:18           ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-05-06 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 4:01 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:

> are you gonna host?

Actually, the big question to start is: what are people willing to
pay? We have a lot of students, for example. IWP9 4 was a bargain.

I've had one experience with a workshop priced out of people's ability
to reach or pay (coreboot 2008 in denver) and don't want to make that
mistake again.

I figure Marin Headlands ought to be cheap (dormitory housing!) but
very attractive (right at the Golden Gate!). I confess I have not had
a workshop here, ever.

Do we have some idea of what people can afford? Another option is to
have it right in SF, but that again starts to look pricey ($165/night
minimum, cheap for you euro-spending guys but ...)

Send me a note off-list with what you think is affordable. I'm getting
close to being willing to host.

ron

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-06 17:13             ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2010-05-06 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 04:18:55PM +0000, ron minnich wrote:

> Do we have some idea of what people can afford? Another option is to
> have it right in SF, but that again starts to look pricey ($165/night
> minimum, cheap for you euro-spending guys but ...)

Hum... seems you're not listening to euro related news... Not to say
that in some months, euro will have probably disappeared ;)

I would be very interested in attending IWP9, but whatever the location
is, it will be probably out of my financial reach, combining travel and
accomodations.

I think that I'm not the only one in this case: definitively no lack of
interest; but lack of means---and lack of vision even for some months
ahead.

Mail doesn't replace face to face meeting. But even for the ones not
attending, the published papers remain!

So thank to the ones having made or undertaking the task to make such
events: we will directly or indirectly benefit from them.
                      http://www.kergis.com/

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-06 17:45             ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2010-05-06 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

ron minnich wrote:
> I figure Marin Headlands ought to be cheap (dormitory housing!) but
> very attractive (right at the Golden Gate!).

Cheap indeed! (apologies for the html)

Our overnight package includes:

    * 3 meals per person
    * 1 meeting room for every 1 night stay
    * 1-time room set-up
    * Overnight lodging

Group size 	Weekday* 	Weekend**
10-25 people 	$95.00/person 	$99.00/person
26-75 people 	$89/person 	$93/person
76-150 people 	$87/person 	$91.50/person
Semi-private upgrade
<http://www.naturebridge.org/headlands/semi-private-rooms> (limited):
$52/room/night

*Weekday overnight accommodations are not available from September to June.

**Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are considered weekend days.

--
Learn about The Authenticity Economy at

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1419344994607129684&hl=en#

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-06 18:12               ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2010-05-06 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Our overnight package includes:
>
>     * 3 meals per person
>     * 1 meeting room for every 1 night stay
>     * 1-time room set-up
>     * Overnight lodging
>
> Group size 	Weekday* 	Weekend**
> 10-25 people 	$95.00/person 	$99.00/person
> 26-75 people 	$89/person 	$93/person
> 76-150 people 	$87/person 	$91.50/person

3 meals and room? are they serving porridge?  :)

> *Weekday overnight accommodations are not available from September to June.

this will mean peak season airfares and very tight deadline.

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-06 18:35                 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-05-06 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:

>> *Weekday overnight accommodations are not available from September to June.
>
> this will mean peak season airfares and very tight deadline.

The food looked good but this weekday overnight thing is a deal breaker.

Let's try something else.

ron

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-06 19:46                   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2010-05-06 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Let's try something else.

how about Seattle?  i have looked into conference facilities provided
by the Port of Seattle, and they seem reasonably priced.  there are
several locations, but the least expensive will be the conference
rooms at the airport.  for 60 or less people a room like the London
conference room will be adequate (see the link below).  Port of
Seattle provides free WiFi at the airport and there's good coverage.
There are many hotels within walking distance.  The Link Light Rail
runs from SeaTac to downtown Seattle (20 hours/day, at least every
15 minutes).

if i could get an approximate count i can get a good estimate for cost
of facilities + lunch/soft drinks.

Port of Seattle conference facilities:
http://www.portseattle.org/business/conferencefacilities/airport.shtml

London conference room:
http://www.portseattle.org/about/maps/conferencelondon.shtml

Hotels:
http://tinyurl.com/27p4s3b

Sound Transit Link Light Rail schedule
http://www.soundtransit.org/x11204.xml

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-06 19:52               ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-05-06 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I would be very interested in attending IWP9, but whatever the location
> is, it will be probably out of my financial reach, combining travel and
> accomodations.
>
> I think that I'm not the only one in this case: definitively no lack of
> interest; but lack of means---and lack of vision even for some months
> ahead.

my finances are extremely tight, but I will see if I can somehow squeeze
it out regardless.  But I too will be straining my financial future
scenario visioning.

> Mail doesn't replace face to face meeting. But even for the ones not
> attending, the published papers remain!

hmmm... I wonder if some sort of video conference could be set up for
virtual attendance for those who cannot make it ;-)

> So thank to the ones having made or undertaking the task to make such
> events: we will directly or indirectly benefit from them.

dito.

  EBo --

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-06 20:36                     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-05-06 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

doesn't the weather get ugly in seattle about that time?

ron

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-06 21:21                       ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2010-05-06 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> doesn't the weather get ugly in seattle about that time?

pick any two: cheap, pretty, convenient. ☺

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-06 21:45                         ` ron minnich
                                             ` (2 more replies)
From: ron minnich @ 2010-05-06 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:
>> doesn't the weather get ugly in seattle about that time?
>
> pick any two: cheap, pretty, convenient. ☺

I actually like seattle that time of year anyway.

Is seattle a one-hop place from Europe? I am sure it is from the
important spots on the pacific rim ... this is an interesting
suggestion!

I do know that there are many surprisingly cheap one-hop flights from
paris, frankfurt, etc. to san francisco.

ron

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-06 21:55                           ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2010-05-06 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Is seattle a one-hop place from Europe? I am sure it is from the
> important spots on the pacific rim ... this is an interesting
> suggestion!

daily direct flights from/to: Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London, Paris and Reykjavik

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-06 21:55                         ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-05-06 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, 6 May 2010 14:21:24 -0700, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com>
wrote:
>> doesn't the weather get ugly in seattle about that time?
>
> pick any two: cheap, pretty, convenient. ☺

I do not know about you but when I go to a conference I actually go FOR
the conference.  If we really wanted pretty we should hold it in
conjunction with some university that has both a good computer science
department and a fashion department, and then do a Plan9 wearable computer
fashion show!  I think that would be prettier than staring at this mug
(speaking strictly for myself ;-)

  EBo --

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-06 23:03                           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-05-06 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:
> >> doesn't the weather get ugly in seattle about that time?
> >
> > pick any two: cheap, pretty, convenient. ☺
>
> I actually like seattle that time of year anyway.

which one did athens, ga fail?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-06 23:08                             ` ron minnich
                                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: ron minnich @ 2010-05-06 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 4:03 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@labs.coraid.com> wrote:

> which one did athens, ga fail?

I think athens won big on cheap and pretty, and I also think we all
felt the host (i.e. coraid) was fantastic.

It was somewhat inconvenient to get to, and people had to pay the cost
of a rental car.

I would not object to going there again, however. But it's also nice
to be in a city convenient to a different part of the world each year.
Seattle and SF are good for our friends on the pacific rim.

So the suggestion of non-athens locations should not be taken (at
least on my part) as springing from any negative feelings about last
year's meeting :-)

ron

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-06 23:13                               ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-05-06 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu May  6 19:09:36 EDT 2010, rminnich@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 4:03 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@labs.coraid.com> wrote:
>
> > which one did athens, ga fail?
>
> I think athens won big on cheap and pretty, and I also think we all
> felt the host (i.e. coraid) was fantastic.
>
> It was somewhat inconvenient to get to, and people had to pay the cost
> of a rental car.
>
> I would not object to going there again, however. But it's also nice
> to be in a city convenient to a different part of the world each year.
> Seattle and SF are good for our friends on the pacific rim.
>
> So the suggestion of non-athens locations should not be taken (at
> least on my part) as springing from any negative feelings about last
> year's meeting :-)

i was being overly-literal.

i agree completely.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-07  0:16                               ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2010-05-07  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 16:08, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 4:03 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@labs.coraid.com> wrote:
>
>> which one did athens, ga fail?
>
> I think athens won big on cheap and pretty, and I also think we all
> felt the host (i.e. coraid) was fantastic.
>
> It was somewhat inconvenient to get to, and people had to pay the cost
> of a rental car.
>
> I would not object to going there again, however. But it's also nice
> to be in a city convenient to a different part of the world each year.
> Seattle and SF are good for our friends on the pacific rim.
>
> So the suggestion of non-athens locations should not be taken (at
> least on my part) as springing from any negative feelings about last
> year's meeting :-)
>
> ron

If folks are interested in Los Angeles (West Hollywood), I could host
here. Our office has a really nice A/V setup and room to seat 30-40
comfortably. LA isn't attractive because everything is spread out.
However, there are reasonable and inexpensive accommodations within
walking distance. And LA also has the advantage of an easy-to-reach
from abroad airport. Of course, it's not exactly pretty here. ;-)

--
Christopher Nielsen
"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary safety, deserve

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-07  0:35                               ` balaji
From: balaji @ 2010-05-07  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 4:08 PM, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 4:03 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@labs.coraid.com> wrote:
>
>> which one did athens, ga fail?
>
> I think athens won big on cheap and pretty, and I also think we all
> felt the host (i.e. coraid) was fantastic.
>
> It was somewhat inconvenient to get to, and people had to pay the cost
> of a rental car.

i believe it had the best combination for a US location. conference,
accommodation, hang out places and entertainment all within
walking distance to each other, priced very reasonably.

> I would not object to going there again, however. But it's also nice
> to be in a city convenient to a different part of the world each year.
> Seattle and SF are good for our friends on the pacific rim.

well, it was not that far away from a very busy international airport with
convenient shuttles (except for you ron, who got in pretty late).

having seen many places in US (conference towns like Vegas, pretty
cities like SF, Boston etc), Athens imo provided the best combination
of everything for a 'non-sponsored' conference (and a terrific host).

balaji

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-07  0:47                             ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2010-05-07  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> which one did athens, ga fail?

i wasn't trying to be disparaging toward past venues.  i would guess
if there was any, it would be convenience of getting there/back.

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-07  3:36                   ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2010-05-07  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 2:35 PM, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:
>

>>> *Weekday overnight accommodations are not available from September to June.
>>
>> this will mean peak season airfares and very tight deadline.
>
> The food looked good but this weekday overnight thing is a deal breaker.
>
> Let's try something else.
>
> ron

I think RIT would probably let us hold IWP9 on campus here in Rochester.

Advantages:
*Plenty of auditoriums and a university interested in hosting such things
*Lots of hotels in the area (Radisson right at the edge of campus)
*3 miles from the airport
*Variety of places to eat in town
*The bar right near campus has ~50 beers on tap, plenty of other great
bars a bit farther away
*Rochester is pretty cheap all around

Disadvantages:
*Weather in late fall/early winter can range from pleasant to blizzard
*Most people would have to fly in via Chicago, Atlanta, Dulles, or NYC.

The weather's not as pleasant as Athens, and it doesn't have the same
great concentration of bars and restaurants *right* on campus, but I
think RIT would be willing to host the conference. Plus, I wouldn't
have to buy plane tickets :)

John

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-07 13:09                           ` Eric Van Hensbergen
                                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2010-05-07 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 4:45 PM, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:
>>> doesn't the weather get ugly in seattle about that time?
>>
>> pick any two: cheap, pretty, convenient. ☺
>
> I actually like seattle that time of year anyway.
>
> Is seattle a one-hop place from Europe? I am sure it is from the
> important spots on the pacific rim ... this is an interesting
> suggestion!

OSDI is in Vancouver in October, might be more justifiable as a
destination for academic folks if the workshop and the conference
"adjoined" -- it would at least be down to a single airfare.

     -eric

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-07 13:59                             ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2010-05-07 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Both Vancouver and Seattle are trivially doable for me.
I'd offer our Victoria offices, but we're moving into unknown space at the end of August.

Paul

@ 2010-05-07 14:48                             ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-05-07 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Eric Van Hensbergen <ericvh@gmail.com> wrote:

> OSDI is in Vancouver in October, might be more justifiable as a
> destination for academic folks if the workshop and the conference
> "adjoined" -- it would at least be down to a single airfare.

I got burned doing that for coreboot due to the cost of the "parent"
workshop. I think IWP9 has to be cheap. Usenix meetings are not cheap.
Given that this IWP9 is going to be less formal, I think we'd best
keep it separate.

ron

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-07 15:37                               ` Ramon de Vera
From: Ramon de Vera @ 2010-05-07 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Maybe Seattle? ...if in October, the Picasso Exhibit is also on in the
SAM as well (just saying).

@ 2010-05-07 15:47                                 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-05-07 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 8:37 AM, Ramon de Vera <ramondevera@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe Seattle? ...if in October, the Picasso Exhibit is also on in the
> SAM as well (just saying).

Yeah but by then the Lusty Lady across the street from the SAM will have
shut its doors forever (also just saying).

Dave

@ 2010-05-07 23:11                                   ` Mathieu Lonjaret
From: Mathieu Lonjaret @ 2010-05-07 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

While we're at "just sayin"; from what I hear on #9fans, there still
is some interest to have that one happening in europe. So if you guys
from the other side of the pond think you would come, I could poke
around and see if I can get it hosted here, here being Grenoble, fr,
somewhere on the university campus.
Grenoble is not what I would call pretty, but the campus is nice
enough, and well you've got the Alps nearby to enjoy. 1 hour away by
train/bus/cab from Lyon St-Exupery Airport, or 3 hours away from Paris
(airports).

Mathieu

@ 2010-05-08  0:04                                     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-05-08  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I would most prefer to have it at a transport hub. That said, the
person who sets up the arrangements gets to call it.

I do have some calls coming back to me from local hotels.

ron

* [9fans] Binary File split
@ 2010-05-08  3:40                             ` Yard Ape
From: Yard Ape @ 2010-05-08  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

How might I split a file into pieces specified by size?

split(1) lets me specify lines and regex contexts as delimiters, but what if I want a 40MB file split up into 1.44MB chunks, say?

* Re: [9fans] Binary File split
@ 2010-05-08  4:41                               ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-05-08  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri May  7 23:42:15 EDT 2010, yard-ape@telus.net wrote:
> How might I split a file into pieces specified by size?
>
> split(1) lets me specify lines and regex contexts as delimiters, but what if I want a 40MB file split up into 1.44MB chunks, say?

in retrospect, this would be better in c.  sometimes
it's just a challenge to use a screwdriver like a pry bar.

- erik

---

#!/bin/rc
if(~ $#* 0 1){
	echo usage: bsplit sz file >[1=2]
	exit usage
}
ch=$1
shift
for(i){
	sz=`{ls -ld $i | awk '{print $6}'}
	j = `{awk 'BEGIN{
		sz = ENVIRON["sz"]
		ch = ENVIRON["ch"]

		digits = log((sz + ch - 1)/ch)/log(16);
		o = 0;
		for(i = 0;; i++){
			if(o + ch >= sz)
				break;
			print i
			printf "%.*x\n", digits, i
			o += ch
		}
		if(o < sz){
			print i
			printf "%.*x\n", digits, i
		}

		}'
	}
	while(! ~ $#j 0){
		dd -if $i -of $i^$j(2) -iseek $j(1) -count 1 -bs $ch >[2=]
		j = $j(3-)
	}
}

* Re: [9fans] Binary File split
@ 2010-05-08  5:39                               ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2010-05-08  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> How might I split a file into pieces specified by size?

dd(1)

cpue% dd -if /dev/zero -of /tmp/foo -bs 1 -count 1024
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
cpue% ls -l /tmp/foo
--rw-rw-r-- M 1106 fst fst 1024 May  7 22:37 /tmp/foo
cpue% dd -if /tmp/foo -of /tmp/foo1 -bs 1 -count 512
512+0 records in
512+0 records out
cpue% dd -if /tmp/foo -of /tmp/foo2 -bs 1 -count 512 -skip 512
512+0 records in
512+0 records out
cpue% ls -l /tmp/foo?
--rw-rw-r-- M 1106 fst fst 512 May  7 22:37 /tmp/foo1
--rw-rw-r-- M 1106 fst fst 512 May  7 22:37 /tmp/foo2

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-08 11:34                                     ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2010-05-08 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, May 08, 2010 at 01:11:16AM +0200, Mathieu Lonjaret wrote:
> While we're at "just sayin"; from what I hear on #9fans, there still
> is some interest to have that one happening in europe. So if you guys
> from the other side of the pond think you would come, I could poke
> around and see if I can get it hosted here, here being Grenoble, fr,
> somewhere on the university campus.
> Grenoble is not what I would call pretty, but the campus is nice
> enough, and well you've got the Alps nearby to enjoy. 1 hour away by
> train/bus/cab from Lyon St-Exupery Airport, or 3 hours away from Paris
> (airports).

Well, I'm in Annecy (Haute-Savoie, France) so, for sure, an european
located twin event will be more doable.

But no solution will be the best for everyone.

Is there a survey about the geo-localization of 9fans around the earth?
I guess there is a higher density in north America.

Kudos for the ones trying to organize these. I was engaged in the first
RMLL, and it is for sure work...
                      http://www.kergis.com/

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-08 16:48                                       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-05-08 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Well, I'm in Annecy (Haute-Savoie, France) so, for sure, an european
> located twin event will be more doable.

i don't think we have enough people to split into two.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-08 17:33                                         ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2010-05-08 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, May 08, 2010 at 12:48:50PM -0400, erik quanstrom wrote:
> > Well, I'm in Annecy (Haute-Savoie, France) so, for sure, an european
> > located twin event will be more doable.
>
> i don't think we have enough people to split into two.

In fact, I misread initially the proposal, reading in Europe/Grenoble
for the ones unable to attend "the other side of the pond" instead of
putting the event in Europe.

Except if there is a oil rig in the middle of Atlantic (and this will
not take into account Asia...), one side or the other, there will be no
universal "best".

The best is near a highly busy hub, since a "nearer" but less used spot
can increase significantly the travel costs.

As said before, since I will unlikely be able to attend, my own living
location has not to be taken into account.
                      http://www.kergis.com/

* Re: [9fans] Binary File split
@ 2010-05-08 17:35                                 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2010-05-08 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

bs=1474560
cat $file | for(i in `{seq 0 `{ls -l $file | awk '{print
int($6)/'$bs'}'}}) { dd -bs $bs -count 1 -of $file.$i }

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-08 17:45                                           ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-05-08 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Skip and I have been talking offline. I do think seattle is looking
better and better.

- hub city
- good mass transit to a likely meeting place AND hotels right from the airport
- huge range of hotels, with some good low cost ones
- supportive organization for the meeting

and, finally, I may be wrong but it seems a good middle ground time
and space wise (and time-zone wise; everyone will be jet-lagged but
me) for both the pacific rim and the folks from the EU.

The Marin guys did get back to me and it would be cheap but I'm not
sure everyone will want to go for a bunkhouse, and the mass transit
issue to the headlands is a problem.

ron

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-08 21:34                                             ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-05-08 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'd have pretty much no excuse for missing it... It's 20 minutes away :-)

On Saturday, May 8, 2010, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> Skip and I have been talking offline. I do think seattle is looking
> better and better.
>
> - hub city
> - good mass transit to a likely meeting place AND hotels right from the airport
> - huge range of hotels, with some good low cost ones
> - supportive organization for the meeting
>
> and, finally, I may be wrong but it seems a good middle ground time
> and space wise (and time-zone wise; everyone will be jet-lagged but
> me) for both the pacific rim and the folks from the EU.
>
> The Marin guys did get back to me and it would be cheap but I'm not
> sure everyone will want to go for a bunkhouse, and the mass transit
> issue to the headlands is a problem.
>
> ron

* Re: [9fans] Binary File split
@ 2010-05-10  7:57                                   ` roger peppe
                                                       ` (2 more replies)
From: roger peppe @ 2010-05-10  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8 May 2010 18:35, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> bs=1474560
> cat $file | for(i in `{seq 0 `{ls -l $file | awk '{print
> int($6)/'$bs'}'}}) { dd -bs $bs -count 1 -of $file.$i }

that looks very plausible, but it doesn't actually work,
as awk doesn't coelesce short reads (it gets short
reads from the pipe)

this works a little better:

bs=1474560
{for(i in `{seq 0 `{ls -l $file | awk '{print
int($6)/'$bs'}'}}) { dd -bs $bs -count 1 -of $file.$i -quiet 1 }} < $file

but there's still a little annoyance - if the file size is an exact
multiple of the block size, it will generate an unnecessary zero-length
file at the end.

i tried to fix it to get rid of this, but ran hard up against awk's
dismalness. to illustrate:

% seq 106908504 106908509 | awk '{print $1 % 4}'
0
0
0
0
0
0
%

oh dear.

* Re: [9fans] Binary File split
@ 2010-05-10  8:26                                     ` Arvindh Rajesh Tamilmani
From: Arvindh Rajesh Tamilmani @ 2010-05-10  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i had a similar need some time back and used inferno's sh:
http://a-30.net/inferno/dis/split

arvindh

* Re: [9fans] Binary File split
@ 2010-05-10  8:28                                     ` Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan
From: Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan @ 2010-05-10  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hi,

since i see many solutions, i thought i will add mine too (if you can
use inferno). attached please see the limbo program i wrote for this.
it has helped me many times: didnt have to come out with parameters
for dd commands which i used to use before for this kind of tasks.

please note that the program is very crude. i am sending it as is.

thanks
dharani

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 12:57 AM, roger peppe <rogpeppe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 May 2010 18:35, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
>> bs=1474560
>> cat $file | for(i in `{seq 0 `{ls -l $file | awk '{print
>> int($6)/'$bs'}'}}) { dd -bs $bs -count 1 -of $file.$i }
>
> that looks very plausible, but it doesn't actually work,
> as awk doesn't coelesce short reads (it gets short
> reads from the pipe)
>
> this works a little better:
>
> bs=1474560
> {for(i in `{seq 0 `{ls -l $file | awk '{print
> int($6)/'$bs'}'}}) { dd -bs $bs -count 1 -of $file.$i -quiet 1 }} < $file
>
> but there's still a little annoyance - if the file size is an exact
> multiple of the block size, it will generate an unnecessary zero-length
> file at the end.
>
> i tried to fix it to get rid of this, but ran hard up against awk's
> dismalness. to illustrate:
>
> % seq 106908504 106908509 | awk '{print $1 % 4}'
> 0
> 0
> 0
> 0
> 0
> 0
> %
>
> oh dear.

[-- Attachment #2: splitcp.b --]
[-- Type: chemical/x-molconn-z, Size: 1448 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Binary File split
@ 2010-05-10 11:40                                     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-05-10 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> but there's still a little annoyance - if the file size is an exact
> multiple of the block size, it will generate an unnecessary zero-length
> file at the end.

sometimes what should work, doesn't.  that (and the whitespace)
are why my version is longer.

> i tried to fix it to get rid of this, but ran hard up against awk's
> dismalness. to illustrate:
>
> % seq 106908504 106908509 | awk '{print $1 % 4}'

this isn't awk's fault.  awk gets the right result.  you've illustrated
the dismalness of seq.

ladd; seq 106908504 106908509
1.069085e+08
1.069085e+08
1.069085e+08
1.069085e+08
1.069085e+08
1.069085e+08

ladd; seq -f %8.f 106908504 106908509 | awk '{print $1 % 4}'
0
1
2
3
0
1

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Binary File split
@ 2010-05-10 12:17                                       ` roger peppe
From: roger peppe @ 2010-05-10 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10 May 2010 12:40, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> this isn't awk's fault.  awk gets the right result.  you've illustrated
> the dismalness of seq.

good point. i should have worked that out!

it's not the first time i've been caught out by %g - perhaps
the default precision of %g should be 12 or more. at any
rate, seq's default format should be %.12g or better.

here's a version that works a bit better (also using seq -w so
that you can do "cat $file.*" to reassemble it)

{for(i in `{seq -w 0 `{ls -l $file | awk '{print int((int($6) - 1) /
'$bs')}'}}) {
     dd -bs $bs -count 1 -quiet 1 -of $file.$i }
} < $file

* Re: [9fans] Binary File split
@ 2010-05-10 14:01                                         ` gas
From: gas @ 2010-05-10 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Isn't the sensible solution to add a "-b bytes" option to split?

* Re: [9fans] Binary File split
@ 2010-05-10 14:52                                           ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2010-05-10 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 11:01 AM, gas <smurfasmurf@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Isn't the sensible solution to add a "-b bytes" option to split?

split -b Considered Harmful.

* Re: [9fans] Binary File split
@ 2010-05-10 15:17                                             ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2010-05-10 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10 May 2010, at 15:52, Iruata Souza wrote:

> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 11:01 AM, gas <smurfasmurf@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Isn't the sensible solution to add a "-b bytes" option to split?
>>

> split -b Considered Harmful.

Just curious having not heard of split before, what's the purpose of
it as-is? :)

--
Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it. -- Alan Perlis

* Re: [9fans] Binary File split
@ 2010-05-10 15:39                                               ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-05-10 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Just curious having not heard of split before, what's the purpose of
> it as-is? :)

split(1) is pretty informative.  in Þe auncien[t] dais, it was sometimes hard
to send big files by email or fit them on floppies or 9 track tapes.

rchistory(1) shows i haven't used it once in the last 5 years.

dict has this to say about ancient things.  perhaps this is
why split sticks with us

	Remove not the ancient landmarks, which thy fathers have set.
		Prov. xxii. 28.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Binary File split
@ 2010-05-10 16:01                                                 ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2010-05-10 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10 May 2010, at 16:39, erik quanstrom wrote:

>> Just curious having not heard of split before, what's the purpose of
>> it as-is? :)
>
> split(1) is pretty informative.  in Þe auncien[t] dais, it was
> sometimes hard
> to send big files by email or fit them on floppies or 9 track tapes.
>
> rchistory(1) shows i haven't used it once in the last 5 years.
>
> dict has this to say about ancient things.  perhaps this is
> why split sticks with us
>
> 	Remove not the ancient landmarks, which thy fathers have set.
> 		Prov. xxii. 28.
>
> - erik

Right. XD

--

@ 2010-05-10 17:26                                         ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2010-05-10 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

# usage:  sledge /tmp/foo /tmp/bar 31415
# could also be named crowbar
fn sledge () {
	ifile=$1
	ofile=$2
	size=$3
	if (~ $#* 3) {
		for (i in `{seq 0 `{ls -l $ifile | awk '{print int($6/'^$size^')}'}}) {
			echo dd -if $ifile -of $ofile^$i -bs $size -skip $i -count 1
		}
	}
}

>> this isn't awk's fault.  awk gets the right result.  you've illustrated
>> the dismalness of seq.
>
> good point. i should have worked that out!
>
> it's not the first time i've been caught out by %g - perhaps
> the default precision of %g should be 12 or more. at any
> rate, seq's default format should be %.12g or better.
>
> here's a version that works a bit better (also using seq -w so
> that you can do "cat $file.*" to reassemble it)
>
> {for(i in `{seq -w 0 `{ls -l $file | awk '{print int((int($6) - 1) /
> '$bs')}'}}) {
>      dd -bs $bs -count 1 -quiet 1 -of $file.$i }
> } < $file

* Re: [9fans] Binary File split
@ 2010-05-11  1:39                                               ` Derek Thomas
From: Derek Thomas @ 2010-05-11  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > split -b Considered Harmful.
>
> Just curious having not heard of split before, what's the purpose of
> it as-is? :)

Do you mean what's it's use?  I'm no unix (or Plan 9) elder, but I think it's a file-based implementation of what some text editors call folding.

Not a trivial function.  Before I knew about split (or unix csplit) I encountered this need so often I wrote an awk script to do it.  Talk about reinventing the wheel.  I even named the script 'chsplit'.  Sheesh.

Incidentally gas I don't see the harm in "-b bytes".  (Not that I have the time to add that.)

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-12 16:08                                               ` Chad Brown
From: Chad Brown @ 2010-05-12 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

FWIW, there are two Google offices in the Seattle area; one in Freemont and one in Kirkland, which is just across the water.    Either one likely has a useful setup for recording presentations and might also be usable for live streaming of same.   Of course, neither is particularly near SeaTac.

*Chad

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-12 16:26                                                 ` Rodolfo (kix)
From: Rodolfo (kix) @ 2010-05-12 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,

IMHO I prefer Europe. The first iwp9 was in Europe, the second in USA,
third in Europe, the last in USA and the next?

On the other hand, Seattle (WA) is very far far far far away from here
(Europe). I cannot offer any place.

--
Rodolfo García "kix"
http://www.kix.es/ ham: EA4ERH @ IN80ER

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-12 17:06                                                   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-05-12 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Rodolfo (kix) <kix@kix.es> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> IMHO I prefer Europe. The first iwp9 was in Europe, the second in USA,
> third in Europe, the last in USA and the next?
>
> On the other hand, Seattle (WA) is very far far far far away from here
> (Europe). I cannot offer any place.

It's going to be decided by whatever person makes the effort to set it up.

seattle or SFO are not that bad on a direct flight. A few more hours
than, e.g., New York, but not that much more expensive.

ron

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-13 18:16                                                 ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-05-13 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 12 May 2010 09:08:23 -0700, Chad Brown <yandros@MIT.EDU> wrote:
> FWIW, there are two Google offices in the Seattle area; one in Freemont
> and one in Kirkland, which is just across the water.    Either one
likely
> has a useful setup for recording presentations and might also be usable
for
> live streaming of same.   Of course, neither is particularly near
SeaTac.

Has anyone talked to Google about hosting it?

Chad, are you still with MIT?  Would a Boston/MIT opportunity be
available?

  EBo --

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-13 23:26                                                   ` Chad Brown
From: Chad Brown @ 2010-05-13 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm vaguely affiliated with MIT still via their student computing group (SIPB).
We've looked into convention/event support at MIT before, and the bottom
line is that such things really need a professor or department head as a
sponsor.

*Chad

@ 2010-05-13 23:40                                                     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-05-13 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I think Skip and I and the other guys who are doing the work are
settling on seattle. The site of the meeting is still not fixed. But
the airport has great connections and great mass transit to a nice
downtown; the hotel prices are great; it's a very nice city to meet
in; and, well, nobody has come up with anything better than Skip came
up with.

That's my current take on it. I'm also proposing that we go with more
of a "work" workshop format, i.e. people bring guruplugs and other
cool hardware and we have sessions like
using jtag on your plan 9 plug computer
and other such down 'n dirty stuff, and people actual do lots of
participation, rather than watch power point slides.

ron

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-14  2:24                                                   ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2010-05-14  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I do not like Boston as a destination.  The last four times I've travelled there, or through there, I've been stuck overnight in the airport.  As far as I'm concerned, tread carefully when flying through Logan.  Boston itself can be enjoyable, and the surrounding pirtions of the North East are nice.  It's just Logan that seems to curse me.

I'd offer up Chicago or Evanston, IL, and could coordinate arrangements as needed--there's a fantastic brewery not far from Fermi Lab and Argonne for long distant road trips.  But I think a shift to someplace with better connections for our european/southern hemisphere/pacific participants would be better.  Aka, I've been preparing for travel since the last IWP9.

-jas

@ 2010-05-14  2:45                                                       ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-05-14  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I think Skip and I and the other guys who are doing the work are
> settling on seattle. The site of the meeting is still not fixed. But
> the airport has great connections and great mass transit to a nice
> downtown; the hotel prices are great; it's a very nice city to meet
> in; and, well, nobody has come up with anything better than Skip came
> up with.

sounds good.

> That's my current take on it. I'm also proposing that we go with more
> of a "work" workshop format, i.e. people bring guruplugs and other
> cool hardware and we have sessions like
> using jtag on your plan 9 plug computer
> and other such down 'n dirty stuff, and people actual do lots of
> participation, rather than watch power point slides.

cool!  I just discovered a new embedded system which looks SO cool
<http://www.acmesystems.it/> and has the bare essentials that makes it ripe
for motion control and other fun stuff.  A workshop like that would be uber
fun.

If you want a workshop format, then what are you looking for to be in the
proceedings?

  EBo --

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-14  3:14                                                     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-05-14  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Jeff Sickel <jas@corpus-callosum.com> wrote:
> I do not like Boston as a destination.

it's ok, I think it's going to be seattle :-)

ron

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-14  3:14                                                         ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-05-14  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 7:45 PM, EBo <ebo@sandien.com> wrote:

> If you want a workshop format, then what are you looking for to be in the
> proceedings?

I'm not taking for granted that we need one.

ron

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-14  3:18                                                           ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-05-14  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>> If you want a workshop format, then what are you looking for to be in
the
>> proceedings?
>
> I'm not taking for granted that we need one.

ok.

  EBo --

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-14  3:27                                                           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-05-14  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu May 13 23:15:28 EDT 2010, rminnich@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 7:45 PM, EBo <ebo@sandien.com> wrote:
>
> > If you want a workshop format, then what are you looking for to be in the
> > proceedings?
>
> I'm not taking for granted that we need one.

i don't know making this needs to be a binary switch.

there was a lot of great participation through the
papers and works in progress that wouldn't have been
possible with a workshop format; not all of the authors
were able to make it.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-14  3:41                                                             ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-05-14  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 8:27 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> On Thu May 13 23:15:28 EDT 2010, rminnich@gmail.com wrote:

>> I'm not taking for granted that we need one.
>
> i don't know making this needs to be a binary switch.

It doesn't. But somebody needs to sign up to get the proceedings
printed, and so on. Untli we get that, we don't have it.

ron

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-15  1:53                                                       ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2010-05-15  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On May 13, 2010, at 10:14 PM, ron minnich wrote:

> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Jeff Sickel <jas@corpus-callosum.com> wrote:
>> I do not like Boston as a destination.
>
> it's ok, I think it's going to be seattle :-)

Seattle's fine.  Boston too would be fine.  I just don't like/trust Logan.

Now if someone in or around Albuquerque could schedule an IWP9 some year around the beginning of October....  Tough place to get to, but kill two birds w/ one stone (flight): IWP9 + Albuquerque International Ballon Fiesta.

-jas

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-15  1:59                                                         ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-05-15  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Jeff Sickel <jas@corpus-callosum.com> wrote:

> Now if someone in or around Albuquerque could schedule an IWP9 some year around the beginning of October....  Tough place to get to, but kill two birds w/ one stone (flight): IWP9 + Albuquerque International Ballon Fiesta.

plus hotel rates that go through the roof :-)

ron

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-15  2:04                                                           ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2010-05-15  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On May 14, 2010, at 8:59 PM, ron minnich wrote:

> plus hotel rates that go through the roof :-)

who needs a hotel when you're hitting the day break launch?

anyway, glad to see movement towards a 5th IWP9.  Let's hope Icelandic volcanos don't shut out our European friends.

-jas

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-15  2:27                                                         ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-05-15  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Seattle's fine.  Boston too would be fine.  I just don't like/trust
Logan.

> Now if someone in or around Albuquerque could schedule an IWP9 some year
> around the beginning of October....  Tough place to get to, but kill two
> birds w/ one stone (flight): IWP9 + Albuquerque International Ballon
> Fiesta.

I'm not currently living in Albuquerque, but I've lived there maybe half
my life.  I am also on the board of directors of a small non-profit which
operates out of Albuquerque and I have some interesting connections that
might be able to help at least set things up.  One of these connections is
an old friend who is a professional conference organizer for the Marriott.

In addition to the Balloon Fiesta, there are other potentially interesting
venues for day-trips such as one of the worlds largest trams (runs to a
10,000 foot mountain peak), wildlife refuges, Old Town, Pueblos, and for
the geekier there is Kirtland AFB, Sandia National Labs, and various tech
centers.  If we did not have the conference in a big hotel like the
Marriott, maybe we could get the HPCC at UNM to give us access to
conference rooms, etc. (which would likely cut down on expenses).

Ron's comment on cost is important to note, but possibly more important is
that it becomes almost impossible to find ANY accommodations in the area at
that time.

So, if you were serious about this I take a look into it and find out what
it would take.

  EBo --

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-15  3:22                                                           ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-05-15  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I lived in NM for 8 years, I loved it, still do, but ABQ fails the
"transport hub" criterion.

I had lots of complaints about that when we had conferences in santa fe.

thanks

ron

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-15  3:58                                                             ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-05-15  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I lived in NM for 8 years, I loved it, still do, but ABQ fails the
> "transport hub" criterion.
>
> I had lots of complaints about that when we had conferences in santa fe.

Actually, Santa Fe is a pain to have as a destination for an international
conference unless there is a reason to be at the capital or Los Alamos...

  EBo --

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-15 15:45                                                               ` Kim Shrier
From: Kim Shrier @ 2010-05-15 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On May 14, 2010, at 9:58 PM, EBo wrote:

>> I lived in NM for 8 years, I loved it, still do, but ABQ fails the
>> "transport hub" criterion.
>>
>> I had lots of complaints about that when we had conferences in
>> santa fe.
>
> Actually, Santa Fe is a pain to have as a destination for an
> international
> conference unless there is a reason to be at the capital or Los
> Alamos...
>

>  EBo --

If I thought people would actually come, I would see if I could organize
something in Ouray Colorado.  It is about 300 miles north of Albuquerque
in the San Juan Mountains.  You get there by first flying to Denver,
Phoenix, or Albuquerque, then catching a puddle-hopper to Montrose and
then renting a car or catching a shuttle to go the remaining 35 miles to
Ouray.  I think it fails the "transport hub" test but it would be
equally
inconvenient for everyone and the hotel rates are cheap in October.

Kim

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-15 16:12                                                                 ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-05-15 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> If I thought people would actually come, I would see if I could organize
> something in Ouray Colorado.

Do you live in that neck of the woods?

> It is about 300 miles north of Albuquerque
> in the San Juan Mountains.  You get there by first flying to Denver,
> Phoenix, or Albuquerque, then catching a puddle-hopper to Montrose and
> then renting a car or catching a shuttle to go the remaining 35 miles to
> Ouray.  I think it fails the "transport hub" test but it would be
> equally
> inconvenient for everyone and the hotel rates are cheap in October.

ROFLOL!

This reminds me back in the 90's when they were rebuilding I25 through
Albuquerque and the I24/I40 interchange.  Things were a mess, and us locals
called the construction zone the orange barrel raceway.  Well, to break the
frustration one of the local radio stations hosted a competition where the
winner won an All Expenses Paid Vacation to Gimon Oklahoma where the orange
barrels are made.  To top things off, a farmer named Joe picked them up at
the regional airport in a tractor, and took them on the 40 minute ride to
their motor lodge hospitality suite.  I believe that the mayor gave them a
key to the city outhouse or something, and they were the guest judge for
the local chilli cooking contest...

I think if we really tried hard we could find a fun and completely
unacceptable locations.  My vote would be Illfeld New Mexico (population
~75), where I served my blacksmithing apprenticeship.  I think the only
public accommodations at all is the RV park 6 miles down the road.  No, we
would likely be pitching tents and hauling water ;-)

  EBo --

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-15 16:31                                                                   ` Kim Shrier
From: Kim Shrier @ 2010-05-15 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On May 15, 2010, at 10:12 AM, EBo wrote:

>> If I thought people would actually come, I would see if I could
>> organize
>> something in Ouray Colorado.
>
> Do you live in that neck of the woods?

Yes.  There aren't many tech people around here and I think it would
be great to get a group of Plan 9 people here.  However, since that is
unlikely, I am figuring out if I can make it to Seattle this year. I
have a client in Eugene Oregon that I visit and Seattle isn't that much
further.

Kim

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-15 19:46                                                                     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-05-15 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

the one big push for new mexico is spaceport america ... maybe we'd
get to see a test launch :-)

but that's a serious hike from ABQ :-)

ron

* Re: [9fans] iwp9.org (Re: BibTex collections of all 4 proceedings)
@ 2010-05-15 21:52                                                                       ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-05-15 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> the one big push for new mexico is spaceport america ... maybe we'd
> get to see a test launch :-)
>
> but that's a serious hike from ABQ :-)

True, then we can maybe move the venue to Los Cruses, Truth or
Consequences, or maybe even Hatch (and right about time for the chili
festival) ;-)  I know an odd hole-in-the-wall biker bar down the road from
hatch that serves the WORST food imaginable...  I do not think I have any
connections to Spaceport America, but could give it a fly ;-)

  EBo --