* Re: [9fans] Plan 9
@ 2001-11-02 17:26 Russ Cox
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-11-02 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Sadly, it doesn't run on my laptop.  Despite much energy from Russ Cox
> (for which I am grateful) it doesn't install.  Some of the reasons for
> the problem include a dependency on Microdreck in the install system
> and forgetting about extended partitions when designing the install
> process.

Now, now, be fair.  The real problem is that we don't have a USB
driver at boot, we require a floppy disk to install, and your laptop's
floppy drive is USB.  There is no dependency on Microsoft operating
systems whatever (though our boot floppy happens to use their
file system format), and what we ``forgot'' was the ability to boot
out of extended partitions that are pretending to be a floppy disk,
which no one else does either.  There are some bugs in fdisk's
extended partition table parsing too, but we didn't get far.

Our lack of USB support is the real problem here.  I wish...

Russ