* Re: [9fans] u9fs license?
@ 2001-01-06  5:40 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-01-06  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I honestly don't remember how we used to distribute u9fs, except as
packaged within a Plan 9 distribution.  I've looked around a little
and can't find any other trace of it.  Are you sure you found it
somewhere else?  I vaguely remember we did something like the sam
release, but I can find no evidence.  Can you?

Honestly, I'd be happy to give it away unfettered but I don't have
permission to do that - unless permission has already been granted.
It doesn't seem worth the local hassle of a doing a new
release/license separate from the Plan 9 one.  Unless, again, it's
already been done.

If nothing comes up, I'll see if we have a paper trail in the office
files.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] u9fs license?
@ 2001-01-07  3:22 ` greg andruk
From: greg andruk @ 2001-01-07  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

rob pike wrote:
> I vaguely remember we did something like the sam release, but I can
> find no evidence.  Can you?

It's pretty weak at this late date.  I did find what appears to be an
old mirror of plan9.bell-labs.com at
ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/comp/os/plan9/old/ The stuff in unixsrc/u9fs
there shows no diffs from my local copy.

The only vestige I can find of it having been available directly from
Lucent is on altavista.com using the query +u9fs +netlib :

[...]
   4. No Title
          This program serves Unix files to Plan 9 machines. It is to be
          run on a Unix machine with its standard input, output, and
          error connected to a...

Unfortunately, AV no longer displays dates.

> It doesn't seem worth the local hassle of a doing a new
> release/license separate from the Plan 9 one.  Unless, again, it's
> already been done.

Understood, and many thanks for looking into this.  I'll work under
the assumption that the 3rd ed. license is the appropriate one to use,
and package stuff accordingly.

* Re: [9fans] u9fs license?
@ 2001-01-07  5:11   ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-01-07  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

wasn't it hung of the plan 9 home page, ages ago?

* Re: [9fans] u9fs license?
@ 2001-01-08 17:09 ` ozan s. yigit
From: ozan s. yigit @ 2001-01-08 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

rob@plan9.bell-labs.com (rob pike) writes:

> I honestly don't remember how we used to distribute u9fs, except as
> packaged within a Plan 9 distribution.

for the longest time (since around 95, i think), it was available on its
own, like awk, sam etc. i think i first found it through netlib/research
along with andrew's conversion stuff and i'm sure i can still dig out
the copy i ftp'ed in 95. there were no attached notes, licenses etc.

oz

* [9fans] u9fs license?
@ 2001-01-06  3:20 greg andruk
From: greg andruk @ 2001-01-06  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It used to be that the u9fs sources were available in standalone form
on various FTP servers, but poking around tonight it appears they have
retreated to the confines of the full Plan 9 distribution.  I don't
see a license statement in the older kit, so I've gotta ask.  Does
this stuff now fall under the Plan 9 3rd ed. license, a netlib sort of
thing, or something else?

[There are some Unix daemon thingies I want to teach how to speak 9P,
u9fs would be the obvious starting point, and if anything useful comes
of it I'd want to make sure the correct legal incantations are present
before sharing patches.]

Thanks.