* Re: [9fans] Re: Plan 9 Contributions area
@ 2001-02-13 14:33 nigel
From: nigel @ 2001-02-13 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

How many T-Shirts can a man wear?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1681 bytes --]

From: Dave Atkin <dla@vitanuova.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Re: Plan 9 Contributions area
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 14:21:10 GMT

We're grateful to Francisco Ballesteros in Madrid for two
contributions: A Plan 9 driver for a Lucent Wavelan PCMCIA interface,
and an extremely comprehensive (243 page) guide to the Plan 9 kernel,
which will be used as the basis of a forthcoming Plan 9 course.  See

	http://www.vitanuova.com/plan9/co/

Dave Atkin
Vita Nuova

* Re: [9fans] Re: Plan 9 Contributions area
@ 2001-02-13 14:51 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-02-13 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> How many T-Shirts can a man wear?

well you need two to wear a concealed bullet proof vest.
one under, to absorb the sweat, one over, to conceal it.
always wear it concealed otherwise they know immediately
to aim for your head.

admittedly if it's a NIJ level 4 vest it's not really practical.

* Re: [9fans] Re: Plan 9 Contributions area
@ 2001-02-13 19:43   ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-02-13 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <005001c095cc$8448bb80$0ab9c6d4@cybercable.fr> you write:
>> How many T-Shirts can a man wear?
>
>well you need two to wear a concealed bullet proof vest.
>one under, to absorb the sweat, one over, to conceal it.
>always wear it concealed otherwise they know immediately
>to aim for your head.
>
>admittedly if it's a NIJ level 4 vest it's not really practical.

That's right, 9fans.  In addition to his life installing Solaris
from media in France, Boyd is also a mafia hit man!  How else would
he know so much about light armaments?

	- Dan C.

:-)

* Re: [9fans] Re: Plan 9 Contributions area
@ 2001-02-14  9:40   ` Ozan Yigit
From: Ozan Yigit @ 2001-02-14  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > How many T-Shirts can a man wear?
> well you need two to wear a concealed bullet proof vest. [...]

hmmm, between geoff and boyd, this list is beginning to read
like a rejected script from saturday night live! ;)

oz

* Re: [9fans] Re: Plan 9 Contributions area
@ 2001-02-14  9:23     ` David Lukes
From: David Lukes @ 2001-02-14  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Boyd Roberts; +Cc: 9fans

Warning: off topic!

> my old mate dave surfaces.  don't be too 'direct'

I still remember that incident fondly:
if I recall correctly, the line from the customer's management was
"Your consultants are very direct",
after we'd chewed out the customer's hardware vendor's salesman
in front of the customer and described his products
(to his face) with the phrase
"it all looks like bullshit and vapourware",
(That's the royal "we", of course:
 I just sat there and nodded whilst trying to keep a straight face
 as the salesgremin and customer squirmed).

> :-)
Boyd, you're using smileys: what medication are you on?

>  [APT]
Don't swear. I'm feeling delicate at the moment,
(due to a surfeit excesses of Perl and SQL) and my constitution
won't take the shock.

	Dave.

P.S. A certain Mr Penn Jillette is reputed to have once said about smileys:
	"the hateful :) which means 'just kidding' and is used by people
	 who would dot their i's with
	 little circles and should have their eyes dotted with Drano."

We now return you to the latest episode of:
	"why doesn't plan9 use BIOS drivers?
	 where's the perl/emacs port?
	 I think fsync is really useful, even if I don't really know what it means".
Thank you.

* Re: [9fans] Re: Plan 9 Contributions area
@ 2001-02-13 23:40 ` Jim Bennett
From: Jim Bennett @ 2001-02-13 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk wrote:

> >>That's right, 9fans.  In addition to his life installing Solaris
> >>from media in France, Boyd is also a mafia hit man!  How else would
> >>he know so much about light armaments?
>
> i assumed it was normal garb for installing Solaris.
> certainly i'd have found it useful in the past.

HEY !!  I resemble^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hresent that remark !

JB
"The future is not what it used to be."
                    -Anonymous

* Re: [9fans] Re: Plan 9 Contributions area
@ 2001-02-13 23:24       ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-02-13 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Speaking of guns and the Mafia, anyone in France want
> to make a quick buck? :-)

might run contrary to my (non existant) rap sheet
and the fact i belong to:

    Le Club de Tir de Paris de la Police Nationale

yeah, the federal cops' gun range.

* Re: [9fans] Re: Plan 9 Contributions area
@ 2001-02-13 23:18     ` Fariborz 'Skip' Tavakkolian
From: Fariborz 'Skip' Tavakkolian @ 2001-02-13 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-02-13 22:42 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-02-13 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > how much does it take to proove that you're a fool?
>
> QED
>
> -rob

yeah, but it was a nice party trick at penn's [IIA].

* Re: [9fans] Re: Plan 9 Contributions area
@ 2001-02-13 22:35 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-02-13 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i assumed it was normal garb for installing Solaris.
> certainly i'd have found it useful in the past.

so have i.  when i broke my tibia and they were p�ering
into the CXR's looking for broken ribs and couldn't find
any.  very puzzled.  i knew why -- the NIJ level IIIA
vest protected my ribs.

* Re: [9fans] Re: Plan 9 Contributions area
@ 2001-02-13 22:33 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-02-13 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-02-13 22:30   ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-02-13 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> That's right, 9fans.  In addition to his life installing Solaris
> from media in France, Boyd is also a mafia hit man!  How else would
> he know so much about light armaments?

because he can read:

    http://www.ncjrs.org/pdffiles1/nij/183651.pdf

and owns a NIJ level IIIA vest.  keeps those 9mm, 124 grain, FMJ
rounds out and has pocket for a metal plate (over the heart)
to keep those 7.62 rounds at bay.  ya never know when you gonna
come up against an AK-47.

ever heard of books?

look, a mafia hit is usually done with a .22 to the head.

a .22 with even the lowly IIA won't even penetrate.

@ 2001-02-13 22:22 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-02-13 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-02-13 22:21   ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-02-13 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> (Or, even worse,
>  send Boyd over to explain the meaning of life to you).

my old mate dave surfaces.  don't be too 'direct' :-) [APT]

* Re: [9fans] Re: Plan 9 Contributions area
@ 2001-02-13 21:09 nemo
From: nemo @ 2001-02-13 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Just to say that the driver has fixes included from jmk
and others. Bugs are mine, though ☺

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3629 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 37 bytes --]

How many T-Shirts can a man wear?

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1700 bytes --]

From: Dave Atkin <dla@vitanuova.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 14:21:10 GMT

@ 2001-02-13 18:13 ` David Lukes
From: David Lukes @ 2001-02-13 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rog; +Cc: 9fans

>is there something i don't know about this plan 9 kernel guide?

Yes, but if we told you,
we'd have to kill you.

@ 2001-02-13 16:06 rog
From: rog @ 2001-02-13 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

is there something i don't know about this plan 9 kernel guide?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2100 bytes --]

To: <cse.psu.edu!9fans>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Re: Plan 9 Contributions area
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 15:51:58 +0100

@ 2001-02-13 14:21 ` Dave Atkin