* perl for plan9?
@ 2020-02-25  0:37 kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2020-02-25  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Did anyone tried perl for plan9 (5.008?)?

Perl 5.30.1 version include plan9 directory which is the same as that for 5.008.
However, it does not compile.

Kenji

* Re: [9front] perl for plan9?
@ 2020-06-25  6:18 ` kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2020-06-25  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> Did anyone tried perl for plan9 (5.008?)?
>
> Perl 5.30.1 version include plan9 directory which is the same as that for 5.008.

accidentally, I found perl 5.8.0 for Release4 Plan9
where there are binary and libs and sources.
Yes, it works!
search perl.iso.bz2 on 9p.io.

Kenji

* Re: [9front] perl for plan9?
@ 2020-06-25  6:30   ` Tanami Muller
From: Tanami Muller @ 2020-06-25  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I think there would be a lot of work involved in getting a 5.30+ port
working... a lot of stuff has changed internally since 5.8 (2002).
That said, if anyone was to work on it, I'd like to collaborate.

Tanami

--

Tanami Muller

Chief Technology Officer

Email: tanami@oneworldled.com

Mobile: 0450 107 311
Office: (08) 8374 4557
Address: 1024 South Road, Edwardstown

* Re: [9front] perl for plan9?
@ 2020-06-25  7:07     ` Jens Staal
From: Jens Staal @ 2020-06-25  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

As far as I know Ori_B is doing some work on that and he mentioned that he had
some success but problems on amd64 I think.

I think his interest was especially for configuration/compilation of netsurf but
there they now have a perl-independent solution I think.

I remember when I tried there were some compiler issues with "##" etc.

@ 2020-06-25  7:12     ` Romano
From: Romano @ 2020-06-25  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front, Tanami Muller

I have i386 built and now just working on the tests. The patches are here: https://blog.fallglow.com/misc/ . The latest blead patch doesn't apply cleanly at the moment, unfortunately, and is the most far along in terms of hammering out issues; I just haven't had time to clean things up since the latest stable release when some blead updates also occurred and broke the patch in yhe plan9/ directory. I'll try to clean it up and get it going tomorrow night with instructions on how to build. Note that it doesn't build on other archs right now.

On June 25, 2020 6:30:00 AM UTC, Tanami Muller <weitzeug@gmail.com> wrote:
>I think there would be a lot of work involved in getting a 5.30+ port
>working... a lot of stuff has changed internally since 5.8 (2002).
>That said, if anyone was to work on it, I'd like to collaborate.
>
>Tanami
>

>On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 3:49 PM <kokamoto@hera.eonet.ne.jp> wrote:
>>
>> > Did anyone tried perl for plan9 (5.008?)?
>> >
>> > Perl 5.30.1 version include plan9 directory which is the same as
>that for 5.008.
>>
>> accidentally, I found perl 5.8.0 for Release4 Plan9
>> where there are binary and libs and sources.
>> Yes, it works!
>> search perl.iso.bz2 on 9p.io.
>>
>> Kenji

* Re: [9front] perl for plan9?
@ 2020-06-25 13:39       ` ori
From: ori @ 2020-06-25 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: unobe, 9front, weitzeug

> I have i386 built and now just working on the tests.  The patches
> are here: https://blog.fallglow.com/misc/ . The latest blead patch
> doesn't apply cleanly at the moment, unfortunately, and is the most
> far along in terms of hammering out issues; I just haven't had time to
> clean things up since the latest stable release when some blead
> updates also occurred and broke the patch in yhe plan9/ directory.
> I'll try to clean it up and get it going tomorrow night with
> instructions on how to build.  Note that it doesn't build on other
> archs right now.

Well, it builds with amd64, but has the same crash in the regex
compilation that I've been trying to track down on-and-off for
the last while.

(If anyone else wants to look at it, Romano's patches are the
place to start)

* Re: [9front] perl for plan9?
@ 2020-06-26  0:38         ` Romano
From: Romano @ 2020-06-26  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front, ori, weitzeug

I've resolved the problem with the patch applying cleanly to blead. There are two commits that I have requested to be included upstream, see https://github.com/Perl/Perl5/pull/17891 . Apllying those to commits, then doing the following should get perl built on i386*:
ape/patch -p 1 < plan9/9front.patch; cd plan9; chmod +x fndvers; rc setup.rc; cd ..; mk perl

Then running: perl - Ilib -E 'say q{hello}'
should work

*Note this is from memory. I'm not at a terminal right now so cannot check. I had sent instructions to Ori_B in May over IRC but forgot to store them before things in RealLife came up. I hope to be able to confirm by the end of the month/beginning of July.

On June 25, 2020 1:39:13 PM UTC, ori@eigenstate.org wrote:
>> I have i386 built and now just working on the tests.  The patches
>> are here: https://blog.fallglow.com/misc/ . The latest blead patch
>> doesn't apply cleanly at the moment, unfortunately, and is the most
>> far along in terms of hammering out issues; I just haven't had time
>> clean things up since the latest stable release when some blead
>> updates also occurred and broke the patch in yhe plan9/ directory.
>> I'll try to clean it up and get it going tomorrow night with
>> instructions on how to build.  Note that it doesn't build on other
>> archs right now.
>
>Well, it builds with amd64, but has the same crash in the regex
>compilation that I've been trying to track down on-and-off for
>the last while.
>
>(If anyone else wants to look at it, Romano's patches are the
>place to start)

* Re: [9front] perl for plan9?
@ 2020-08-21  4:33           ` kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2020-08-21  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> I've resolved the problem with the patch applying cleanly to blead. There are two commits that I have requested to be included upstream, see https://github.com/Perl/Perl5/pull/17891 . Apllying those to commits, then doing the following should get perl built on i386*:
> ape/patch -p 1 < plan9/9front.patch; cd plan9; chmod +x fndvers; rc setup.rc; cd ..; mk perl

What is the problem(s) to make it success for say, amd64 or arm, or amr64?

Kenji

* Re: [9front] perl for plan9?
@ 2020-02-27  0:14 kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2020-02-27  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> This is very cool that you trying to get Duktape
> going in Netsurf. I have not tried anything with
> that myself, as it is an 'optional' feature, that
> could be postponed for later.

I tried this because both of abaco and mothra don't have this.
The available features for netsurf, abaco and mothra are same
level now, the first looks much good though.

>Did you have anything
> work so far? What are the struggles?

I got nsgenbind fine, which gave me more than 240 binding
files etc.
duktape/dukky.c is eaasy to compile, however, duktape.c
is not.   It has more than 10,000 lines source which is made
automatically by perl, which means difficult to read!
So, now I'm struggling here.

Kenji

* Re: [9front] perl for plan9?
@ 2020-02-26 20:51 ` jamos
From: jamos @ 2020-02-26 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

This is very cool that you trying to get Duktape
going in Netsurf. I have not tried anything with
that myself, as it is an 'optional' feature, that
could be postponed for later. Did you have anything
work so far? What are the struggles?

Jonas

On 2020-02-25 06:29, kokamoto@hera.eonet.ne.jp wrote:

> I'm trying to make javascript enable on netsurf, and have
> only one thing to do, which is to compile duktape.c.
> It' too big (more than 10,000 lines) to see manually...
>
> Kenji

* Re: [9front] perl for plan9?
@ 2020-02-25  4:29 kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2020-02-25  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> It doesn't build. I've looked at it recently, and I have a vague idea
> of what needs to be done to fix it, but haven't gotten a chance yet
> to spend time with it.

Hmmm...

I'm trying to make javascript enable on netsurf, and have
only one thing to do, which is to compile duktape.c.
It' too big (more than 10,000 lines) to see manually...

Kenji

PS: Ori, please don't set the return address to you

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1599 bytes --]

From: ori@eigenstate.org
To: kokamoto@hera.eonet.ne.jp, 9front@hera.eonet.ne.jp
Subject: Re: [9front] perl for plan9?
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 19:51:57 -0800