* Some SMP performance measurements.
@ 2020-03-12  2:38 Trevor Higgins
From: Trevor Higgins @ 2020-03-12  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Using 'mk'  just because it is there and manages the multitasking for
me. I used timing of a build to measure performance.
Comparing a standard build from ramfs with both source objects files in
the same file service , and a build where the source and object files
were split between 8 ramfs mount points.

I have found that the Fileservices are a significant source of
throttling of performance. Performance using hjfs shows ramfs is not
causing unexpected delay and ramfs always shows significant increase in
performance over hjfs.

Splitting the build directories showed a 4 fold decrease in real build
time with fewer processors/threads.
For a build with a single FS serving the source and a single FS serving
the object storage, there is no real saving in time after 4 threads. The
build process is completely IO bound with 6 threads.

The split build is IO bound with 8 threads but with better utilization
resulting in substantially lower build times.

No criticism of Plan9 or anything or anyone, just looking at the numbers
to help figure out how to design some software I am writing. SMP may not
be much use to me in my application.

--

We need another plan

* Re: [9front] Some SMP performance measurements.
@ 2020-03-12 12:14 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2020-03-12 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

hi,

out of interest what are you building, the kernel?

also, remember the caches in the file servers so try repeating the build several times on a quiet machine.

personally i find plan9’s linker is the bottleneck when doing builds, and i have always found builds to be cpu bound.

-Steve

@ 2020-03-12 17:14   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2020-03-12 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

i compared ramfs and cwfs, and performance was kinda same.
though ramfs might be slower than cwfs in some cases bec. ramfs is
single-threaded.

@ 2020-03-13 16:52 ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2020-03-13 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Just for comparison, SMP is known to be good for rc-httpd & werc which make heavy use of pipes. I don't know about using many cores for them, but >1 makes a huge difference.