* [9front] MBR; Boot Arguments
@ 2023-07-28  2:58 Jay F. Shachter
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jay F. Shachter @ 2023-07-28  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Centuries ago, Nostradamus predicted that Jacob Moody would write on Thu Jul 27 16:53:52 2023:

> Are you using an EFI partition table or an MBR? I assume you must be
> using EFI if you are dealing in more then 4 partitions on a disk.
> But in your previous mails you mentioned installing 9front in MBR
> mode.

It is an MBR-partitioned disk.  I think -- and please correct me if I
am wrong -- that the entire concept of a boot flag on a disk slice is
inapplicable to GPT-partitioned disks.

> Can you give me an entire explanation of how your disk is
> configured?

Windows 10 occupies the first two primary slices (when I got the
computer, Windows 10 had colonized all three primary slices, but I
liberated the third one).  FreeDOS 1.3 resides on the third primary
slice because it is practically impossible to get FreeDOS to work
anywhere but on a primary slice.  Everything else resides on logical
slices within the extended slice.  The two Linux systems reside on a
single logical slice, which constitutes a volume group from which
Linux logical volumes can be carved out.  The other operating systems
each occupies a separate logical slice.  9front is on slice #14.  The
MBR boots Linux GRUB.  There is also a backup copy of the Linux GRUB
MBR on slice #10.  There is a backup copy of the Solaris GRUB MBR on
slice #13.

But the question of disk layout -- the entire question of why the
9front bootloader cannot find anything in the 9fat filesystem when
primary slice #1 is flagged as bootable -- is now a question only of
intellectual, but not practical, interest.  I am bypassing the 9front
bootloader; GRUB is booting /9pc64 directly.  The remaining question,
which I hope someone on this mailing list can answer, is: What
argument can I pass to /9pc64 that will tell it the bootfile, so that
I don't have to type the Enter key whenever I boot 9front to confirm
that I want to use local!/dev/sdE0/fs (similar to the user=glenda
option that keeps me from having to type Enter to confirm that I am
glenda)?  Thank you in advance for any and all replies.

                        Jay F. Shachter
                        6424 North Whipple Street
                        Chicago IL  60645-4111
                                (1-773)7613784   landline
                                (1-410)9964737   GoogleVoice
                                jay@m5.chicago.il.us
                                http://m5.chicago.il.us

                        "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur"