* Re: [9front] rc: whatis broken
@ 2017-07-01 14:38 cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2017-07-01 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

discovered this as well, my solution is to locally set path to prevent it from trying
to look up programs in /bin, so it only reports rc function or variables.

path=/dev/null whatis ...

--
cinap

* Re: [9front] rc: whatis broken
@ 2017-07-01 14:58 ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2017-07-01 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On my system a function still overrides the existence of a file of the same name in /bin. What gives?

sl

* Re: [9front] rc: whatis broken
@ 2017-07-01 17:27   ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2017-07-01 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sat, Jul 1, 2017, at 03:58 PM, Stanley Lieber wrote:
> On my system a function still overrides the existence of a file of the same name in /bin. What gives?

now it works properly on mine, even in the same window and shell which was earlier failing. i see what it is now. i ran into the problem after using a script which defined a function without first calling `rfork e`. the function thus got into the shell's environment but not its cache. it affected other scripts such as B, but whatis in the shell itself failed to find it. it's arguably not a bug in rc, but i hate it. :)

--
Linux? I used ext4 for a few years. In proportion to the time spent using it, I lost as much data to it as I lost to the very worst released version of reiserfs.