From: Ethan Gardener <eekee57@fastmail.fm>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] !#&%&^#*@ RIO!!!
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 13:28:11 +0000	[thread overview]

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018, at 11:23 AM, cinap_lenrek@felloff.net wrote:
> huh? rio doesnt use event library.

i know.

> it uses mouse(2) instead, which gives
> you a Mousectl* that contains a channel. the "mouse" variable of
> type Mouse* points into that mousectl

^-- This part is completely invisible in the code.  That's my complaint.
It might not be so bad if I lived and breathed Plan 9, I suppose,
but I don't want to go that far.  Without that level of familiarity,
the code is as clear as mud.

I suppose I'm complaining about a convenience feature making it
unclear, but I just got badly stressed over it *again*.  It turns out
it's not even rio, but a library feature rio makes heavy use of.
It's certainly made me rethink my opinion of convenience features.
If the library didn't provide this, the code which uses it would have
an indication of where the data is coming from.
Even if rio assigned the "mouse" variable in exactly the way the
library presently does, I wouldn't have got stressed trying to find it.

Thank you for your clear explanation, but I don't think I'll pursue
this further with these libraries.  Various things from /sys/src/libdraw
have caused me stress, so I've put new libraries on my hobby list. :)
Maybe I'll get them done, or maybe I'll give up on programming
anything of any depth. I don't know.