* Booting EFI (or work-arounds to install 9front on GPT partition)?
@ 2014-12-05 16:58 Jens Staal
From: Jens Staal @ 2014-12-05 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi

I have been trying to boot an installation medium with EFI and failed (first
USB, now also burned CD). I need to go back and make notes for which
combinations that gave which errors ...

Booting with EFI for both USB and CD stopped at a place where it says "boot".
One of the alternatives stopped just before then in some sort of shell (I
could not exit to rc using !rc) and I had to give the variable "bootfile"
before giving the command "boot". Since I could not navigate or "ls" anywhere
I could not figure out the location of the bootfile. The other alternative got
further and froze at "boot".

One error that I see after the "dump" of various numbers is an error with IRQ
7 if that helps...

With the burned CD and BIOS boot, I get to the installer but it can not see my
GPT partitions so I guess 9front needs to be booted with EFI to make use of
GPT partitions?

* Re: [9front] Booting EFI (or work-arounds to install 9front on GPT partition)?
@ 2014-12-07  5:42 Jens Staal
From: Jens Staal @ 2014-12-07  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

[-- Attachment #2: Jens Staal <staal1978@gmail.com>: Re: [9front] Booting EFI (or work-arounds to install 9front on GPT partition)? --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2131 bytes --]

From: Jens Staal <staal1978@gmail.com>
To: mischief@9.offblast.org
Subject: Re: [9front] Booting EFI (or work-arounds to install 9front on GPT partition)?
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 09:16:36 +0100

On Friday 05 December 2014 19:47:26 you wrote:
> jens,
>
> are you booting on a 386 system or amd64? what is the hardware?

amd64. The laptop is a few years old, an ASUS K73BR ( an E-450 APU)

> the 9boot prompt (the > where you give bootfile) is pretty simple, and you
> can only set variables. it cant do 'ls' or anything like that. if it cant
> find the bootfile it will take you back to the prompt iirc.

ah... ok.

> as for gpt, there's no gpt support yet. i have program to do gpt in a
> similar fashion to disk/fdisk, but it's not quite polished up or integrated
> into 9front. it does work though :)

Oh ok I was under the impression that it was included :) I switched to GPT
after some mbr f*ck ups and when I switched to GPT I took the opportunity to
also switch to UEFI and I am pretty happy with it (especially for booting
multiple systems - currently dual boot Arch and Alpine linux). Also, I never
really trusted extended partitions and the 4 primary partition limit of mbr is
quite annoying :)

Will there be an announcement / heads up when the GPT stuff is included?

> is it possible you can drop into an EFI shell on your system to find the
> bootfile?

it might be possible... on the other hand - perhaps it is just that simple
that it tries to boot a non-existing amd64 system on the media... perhaps I
should check that first.