* /net/etherU0
@ 2016-01-09 12:56 arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2016-01-09 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

hello,

I tried 9front on raspi and found that ether is mounted on /net as etherU0.
why etherU0 instead of ether0?
the name breaks existing code.
is it possible to change the name etherU0 to ether0?

Kenji Arisawa

* Re: [9front] /net/etherU0
@ 2016-01-09 14:58 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2016-01-09 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I believe this is because the raspberry pi's Ethernet hardware is connected to the USB bus, so, though the Ethernet interface is on the pcb it really is a USB device.

Richard did some mods to support multiple USB interfaces on the Pi kernel, but sadly I have never managed to get them to work, and pressures of a new job have removed most of the time I used to use to investigate such problems.

-Steve

> On 9 Jan 2016, at 12:56, arisawa <arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp> wrote:
>
> hello,
>
> I tried 9front on raspi and found that ether is mounted on /net as etherU0.
> why etherU0 instead of ether0?
> the name breaks existing code.
> is it possible to change the name etherU0 to ether0?
>
> Kenji Arisawa

* Re: [9front] /net/etherU0
@ 2016-01-09 19:26 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2016-01-09 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

the usb ethernet driver is not just run on the raspi, but also on machines
that have kernel ethernet drivers. to not get in conflict with the kernels
ethernet controller id namespace its called etherU*.

what code does it break?

--
cinap

* Re: [9front] /net/etherU0
@ 2016-01-09 23:36   ` arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2016-01-09 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

hello cinap,

ipv6on for example:

if (! ip/ipconfig -6 $xdir ether $netdir/ether?)
	exit 'ipconfig -6 failed'
ip/ipconfig $xdir ether $netdir/ether? ra6 recvra 1

if etherU* is required in kernel level, you should export it
to /net as ether[0-9].