From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57@fastmail.fm>
To: 9front@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: streaming 9p
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 17:45:47 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 15:54:11 +0200
Andreas Wagner <andreasbwagner@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Any chance you could summarize how CCN works? I started to read Jacobson.pdf but haven't got the time to read enough to discover whether it will make my eyes bleed. My first impression is it's like using torrents for everything but with some different discovery mechanism.
> >
> > Perhaps more importantly (and possibly simpler), could you summarize how unique names are constructed for CCN data, please?
> >

> CCN does not have anything to do with bittorrent. With CCN
> content/names are the primitives rather than locations/ip addresses,
> in other words location is decoupled from content, identity and
> access. At first it may seem that CCN is only useful for static
> content, however VoCCN (Voice over CCN) exists and eliminates the need
> for the middleware. Mobility is a non-issue with CCN because content
> does not need to be mapped to a location. From what I can see the CCNx
> implementation works on top of IP although CCN intended to replace
> TCP/IP. CCN names can have a unique dns domain name prefix for
> connectivity better connectivity over the internet.
>
> An "Interest packet" is forwarded on a "face" when the prefix of its
> name matches a prefix of a name in the Forwarding Information Base,
> when the name of an Interest Packet satisfies (matches) the name of a
> "Data packet" the data packet is forwarded downstream following the
> Pending Interest Table (breadcrumb) entries. In many ways CCN is
> similar to TCP/IP because the designers did not want unnecessarily to
> throw out what has worked with TCP/IP.
>
> I am looking into porting ccn to 9front for use with the filesystem
> and 9p. I guess I the filesystem would be the ccn data repository and
> the ccn names would be the filenames and directory paths.

Thanks for the summary! The implications are a bit beyond me after all, but I like the easy multicasting and the reduction of mobility issues. I can see some congestion issue with rapid mobility but I don't suppose it'll become a real problem.

Am I right in thinking you'd use something like "host/pathname" as the name in CCN when you wanted to retrieve a file?