* Goodbye, MothraMessage-ID: <20130131172100.1909d97e@vardo.ethans.dre.am>
@ 2013-01-31 17:21 Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2013-01-31 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Goodbye Mothra.  It's been a good run, but you really don't have what
I need.  Libpanel?  Please.  I need real text editing, not some 40
year old proof-of-concept that doesn't know what cursor keys are and
barely tolerates being manipulated by a mouse.

That's… I haven't even got started.  It's not just text editing, your
whole interface doesn't know what to do with the mouse.  You treat it
as if you can just take it globally and have it do whatever wherever,
but that just means you never know if I'm using a dropdown, selecting
text, or even using your scrollbar.  You get all 3 mixed up, honey.
If you'd been designed in the slightest bit properly, you wouldn't get
them mixed up at all.

And, speaking of proper design, your text selection really isn't it,
Mothra.  Whole-word selection might be kinda nice but you can't get
away with sticking a space onto the *beginning* of the selection every
time.  And line breaks!  For crying out loud, you do not insert line
breaks willy-nilly into text that was never meant to have them!  This
is just not on.

And… there's even more.  As if all that wasn't enough there's moth
mode and your… your *intrusive* bar at the top.  Between switching
your bar on and off all the time and going into and out of moth mode,
I feel like I'm using Vi when I use you, Mothra, and you damn well
know how I feel about Vi. It's just a mess, the numbers clutter my
head, the list clutters the screen when its open and doesn't show
needed details when it's not, and… and why the bloody hell do you not
have relative jumps?  Yeah yeah all right you might say you could be
patched for that in no time, but then what about everything else!
Text and mouse issues, your basic… fundamental *design* with all the
clutter and the cryptic moth mode, and… no.  It's just too much.

I… I like your spirit, I think, Mothra, you'll always have that, but I
think you've lost your way with moth mode and besides that, how much
to you want to be patched?  This is ridiculous.  I'm not… I'm not even
going to try to change you that much, Mothra.  It would be stupid, you
wouldn't even be you at the end of it, and I'm just not going to do
that.

I'm going back to Abaco now.  She has her faults, sure, and she does
need a little bit of help, but I don't have to really change her to
live with her.  You and me would never have worked, Mothra.  Goodbye
now.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2013-01-31 17:21 UTC | newest]