From: Kurt H Maier <khm@sciops.net>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] syslog(2) change
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 11:06:12 -0500	[thread overview]

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 07:14:05AM -0500, BurnZeZ@feline.systems wrote:

> This doesn't address the timezone problem, which is arguably the
> biggest concern.  The first thing I thought of was simply including
> the timezone, but that really just means more crap on each line

It's not a concern at all, because (unless you ruin your logging) you
have the hostname in the first spot, and you can just look up its
timezone.  I'm always in support of using epoch time in place of
human-readable strings -- or at least ISO-8601 format; either one is
sortable.  But worrying about timezones is a waste of the actual time.

> Another way is to just imply GMT and exclude specifying it in the
> date/time, but then the logs don't appear different, so it's not easy
> to tell when the behavior was corrected if you're looking back at your
> logs in the future.

This is trivially solvable by correcting previous logs when you change the
damn timezone.  You can make all kinds of assumptions about data if you
exert the smallest amount of effort into curating it.

I also don't know why you want to play three-card-monte with the
ordering of the information; the hostname needs to stay first.  This
makes tools like xcat's xcoll much easier to port and maintain.

khm