* Licensing
@ 2017-03-07 18:42 Julius Schmidt
From: Julius Schmidt @ 2017-03-07 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

There has been a lot of confusion on this subject. Implicitly (and
sometimes explicitly) it has been assumed that 9front uses one of two
licensing schemes:

1. LPL license everything

2. LPL license the original code, MIT any 9front additions

[shit like python is obviously excluded]

The latter would be my preferred solution. It's a bit ugly (and legally
dubious) in files that draw from both sources, but I think it's the best
solution for anything we created from scratch.

I propose we settle this matter once and for all by replacing
/lib/legal/NOTICE with the following.

==== snip =====

Plan 9 from Bell Labs is provided under the terms of the Lucent Public License,
Version 1.02, reproduced in the file /lib/legal/lpl.

Any additions or changes (as recorded in Mercurial history) made by 9front are provided
under the terms of the MIT License, reproduced in the file /lib/legal/mit.

The following exceptions apply:

1. No right is granted to create derivative works of or
    to redistribute (other than with the Plan 9 Operating System)
    the screen imprinter fonts identified in subdirectory
    /lib/font/bit/lucida and printer fonts (Lucida Sans Unicode, Lucida
    Sans Italic, Lucida Sans Demibold, Lucida Typewriter, Lucida Sans
    Typewriter83), identified in subdirectory /sys/lib/postscript/font.
    These directories contain material copyrights by B&H Inc. and Y&Y Inc.

2. The printer fonts identified in subdirectory /sys/lib/ghostscript/font
    are subject to the GNU GPL, version 2, reproduced in the file /lib/legal/gpl.

3. The ghostscript program in the subdirectory /sys/src/cmd/gs is
    covered by the Aladdin Free Public License, reproduced in the file
    /lib/legal/afpl.

4. The Python programming language in the subdirectories /sys/src/cmd/python and
    /sys/lib/python is covered by the Python Software Foundation License, reproduced
    in the file /sys/src/cmd/python/LICENSE.

5. The Mercurial version control system in the subdirectories /sys/src/cmd/hg and
    /sys/lib/mercurial is covered by the GNU GPL, version 2, reproduced in
    the file /lib/legal/gpl.

Other, less notable exceptions are marked in the file tree with
COPYING, COPYRIGHT, or LICENSE files.

* Re: [9front] Licensing
@ 2017-03-07 18:49 ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2017-03-07 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 07:42:50PM +0100, Julius Schmidt wrote:

> I propose we settle this matter once and for all by replacing
> /lib/legal/NOTICE with the following.

ok by me, but wouldn't it be simpler just to delete all these shitty b&h
fonts?  I mean, we have VGA.

khm