* games/doom
@ 2018-02-24  0:15 kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2018-02-24  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Please forgive my silly questiion.

I did first time to dispatch games/doom, and got

Game mode indeterminate.
                     Public DOOM - v1.10
V_Init: allocate screens.
M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
 default file:
Z_Init: Init zone memory allocation daemon.
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
Error: W_InitFiles: no files found

What is Wadfiles, and can i get it free?
I just want to try the game to know it's suitable to me.

Kenji

* Re: [9front] games/doom
@ 2018-02-24  0:31 ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2018-02-24  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 09:15:29AM +0900, kokamoto@hera.eonet.ne.jp wrote:

> What is Wadfiles, and can i get it free?
> I just want to try the game to know it's suitable to me.

The WAD files are the game data that came with the Doom games.  What
9front ships is just the engine; the WAD files contain all the artwork,
sounds, and levels.  You can buy Doom on Steam or the secondhand markey
and extract the wad files, or you can download a shareware version[1] to
get the free sample WAD files that came with it.

1 - https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/idstuff/doom/win95/doom95

khm

* Re: [9front] games/doom
@ 2018-02-24  1:51 kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2018-02-24  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> 1 - https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/idstuff/doom/win95/doom95

I got this WADA file, and now playing this game.
Yes, very quick drawing and mouse response and clear sound.
Thanks a lot.

Kenji