* (upstream) curl on 9front
@ 2020-08-22  4:52 Jens Staal
From: Jens Staal @ 2020-08-22  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I am currently trying to go through all optional dependencies for netsurf to see
if I can put/update them in ports. I had an old curl port in there but it depended on
gawk and pulled in gnulib etc.

I was happy to see that Lufia had managed to get Plan9 (9legacy) support
upstream in curl some 5 months ago.

https://github.com/curl/curl/blob/master/plan9/README

as dependencies he wrote
- latest 9legacy patches
- zlib (OK)
- libressl

For the "latest 9legacy patches", he does not really specify which/what those may
be. Has most of 9legacy been integrated in 9front?

For libressl : I remember that an openssl port was replaced for the more native
libsec for python. I am not sure if that would be the best option here too.
If I remember correctly, this move away from openssl also blocked later versions
of python so perhaps would it be interesting with a more up-to-date variant like
what Lufia is proposing?
https://github.com/libressl-portable/portable/pull/510

Looking at the different ssl options in curl, it looks like wolfssl might be an
attractive alternative with some openssl compat options.
https://curl.haxx.se/docs/ssl-compared.html

* Re: [9front] (upstream) curl on 9front
@ 2020-08-22  5:03 ` ori
From: ori @ 2020-08-22  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> I am currently trying to go through all optional dependencies for netsurf to see
> if I can put/update them in ports. I had an old curl port in there but it depended on
> gawk and pulled in gnulib etc.

Note, curl is *not* a dependency of our netsurf port; it's been integrated
with webfs, so that it at least behaves somewhat natively.

* Re: [9front] (upstream) curl on 9front
@ 2020-08-23 19:36   ` Jens Staal
From: Jens Staal @ 2020-08-23 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 10:03:53PM -0700, ori@eigenstate.org wrote:
> > I am currently trying to go through all optional dependencies for netsurf to see
> > if I can put/update them in ports. I had an old curl port in there but it depended on
> > gawk and pulled in gnulib etc.
>
> Note, curl is *not* a dependency of our netsurf port; it's been integrated
> with webfs, so that it at least behaves somewhat natively.

Sure but as I said: optional dependencies. It might be interesting to test a
curl-based netsurf to compare with the webfs based one, sort of like how the
framebuffer variant is compared with the native interface variant.