From: Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@sdaoden.eu>
To: 9front@9front.org
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 00:58:07 +0200	[thread overview]

Stanley Lieber wrote in
 <75418F19-3615-43AF-8BBF-532350ED207E@stanleylieber.com>:
 |On June 25, 2021 2:02:11 PM EDT, Kurt H Maier <khm@sciops.net> wrote:
 |>On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 10:22:26AM -0400, Stanley Lieber wrote:
 |>> I still see a lot of:
 |>>
 |>> 1ess Jun 25 10:15:09 delivery '/net.alt/dns' does not exist (net!bss-wf.\
 |>> de)
 |>Which DNS resolver are you querying?  I presume not 9cloud, but I used
 |>to have problems with assholes returning AAAA records that were useless.
 |we've been seeing similar behavior for a long time. that "'/net.alt/dns' \
 |does not exist" error shows up *a lot* in the logs, frequently for \
 |hosts that do exist and whose hostnames do resolve on the command line.

Mind you i have had exactly this problem with my VM hoster's DNS
server that i used exclusively (two of them), ever since i enabled
DNSSEC.  Especially with FreeBSD MX (where using dig goes
"Truncated, retrying in TCP mode").  I first minimized negative
caching, then had to add a reassurance to the blocklist logic
using 8.8.8.8 as an upstream as a hotfix, and i did not understand
because doing a local dig on all the addresses succeeded.  Ie

            # Could be local resolver error, try this first
            if(DEBUG)
               es = 1
            else
               es = system("{ command -v host && \
                     host " j " 8.8.8.8 || \
                     nslookup " j " 8.8.8.8; } >/dev/null 2>&1")
            if(es == 0){
               unign[j] = 1

After logging for weeks they said some query flag combinations
seem to trigger bind bugs, and gave me an additional powerdns
based upstream server (which, funnily, results in errors with
dnsbl.sorbs.net rbl's, but not spamhaus).  However, with these two
different upstream servers (for local dnsmasq cache) i now run
smooth again.  (I still have FreeBSD MX in /etc/hosts on the VM
thougħ.)

--steffen