From: Tobias Heinicke <theinicke@bss-wf.de>
To: 9front@9front.org
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 21:05:44 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

writing from one of my unix boxes hoping that this mail is delivered..

It seems that mails towards the ML now do get lost or maybe it is just
me (out of order delivery is expected, but afaik no one has reported
complete losses yet(?))

Anyhow I had send the following mail and it was never delivered (or at
least I have not received it from the ML):

 From theinicke@bss-wf.de Mon, 21 Jun 2021 19:53:28 +0200
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] commit 1a09421f7db897e1d2e2a9210f79ca4389362c3a
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 19:53:28 +0200
From: theinicke@bss-wf.de

Quoth Anthony Martin <ality@pbrane.org>:
 > > kencc: clarify warning for unused assignments
 > >
 > > [...]
 > >
 > > - warn(Z, "set and not used: %B", bit);
 > > + warn(Z, "assignment not used: %B", bit);
 >
 > What is unclear about "set and not used"?
 >
 > This looks to me like change for change's sake.
 > Now it's even more tedious to compare the various
 > compiler forks, the symmetry with "used and not
 > set" is gone, and the reference to this specific
 > warning in /sys/doc/comp.ms is stale.
 >
 > For what gain?
 >
 >   Anthony

I totally agree with what Anthony wrote;
also in addition to all of this the change is half-assed:

Just looking at the diff one can see that there is
still the line with the typo "set an not used".

s/set an not used/set and not used/ would have been a
better substitution!

--
Tobias Heinicke

Please feel free to correct me if my assumptions are wrong.

Cheers,
Tobias Heinicke