From: sirjofri+ml-9front@sirjofri.de
To: William Gunnells <9front@9front.org>
Subject: Re: [9front] mail crazyness
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 08:56:12 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

Hello William,

you can always ask. Also feel free to join the 9fans discord and other platforms. I am often online on 9gridchan chat, never on irc, but there are others that can help.

To join 9gridchan you can download an official script from wiki.9gridchan.org or my inofficial script to connect a window to the network.

Using my script just run in a rio window:

webfs   # if it's not already running
hget https://sirjofri.de/files/griddy > griddy
chmod +x griddy
griddy -tq
/n/griddisk/rc/minichat chat
<Everything you type will be sent to the chat under the name of kiwi>

Using the official gridstart script, it will set up a rio window with beginner's information, like a help page and it automatically connects to the chat, I think. Personally I don't like this, but it might be helpful to you. (You can download the script again with hget http://ants.9gridchan.org/scripts/gridstart > gridstart and run it).

There are often people online willing to help and have a nice chat. We will introduce you to the grid and you can download/run other chat solutions or write your own one. This might also be quicker than asking the mailing list and waiting for response.

Discord is similar and might be easier, but it's not inside a plan9 environment, so it's harder to copy paste and try things out.

sirjofri