* norms indistinguishable from spam
@ 2019-01-24 14:38 Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2019-01-24 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

first sentence of every comment.

https://research.swtch.com/deps

sl

* Re: [9front] norms indistinguishable from spam
@ 2019-01-25  0:18 ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2019-01-25  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Wao!
This is a very interesting article!

Russ can write this kind of article, I believe he is one of
them in the world.

I'm now working on OpenBSD, particulary for 3D imaging.
In Yahshaka, it calles 109 dynmaic libraries, including Qt5, to
run that program.
It's not possible to see which libraries has the problem
when we meet one bugs...
Open source may not be safe if it has no super excellent moderator.

However, when we try programming such 3d graphics,
we'll meet this kind of problems.
Isn't this the reason why we don't have such functinality?

Kenji

@ 2019-01-25 23:34   ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2019-01-25 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019, at 12:18 AM, Kenji Okamoto wrote:
> Wao!
> This is a very interesting article!
>
> Russ can write this kind of article, I believe he is one of
> them in the world.
>
> I'm now working on OpenBSD, particulary for 3D imaging.
> In Yahshaka, it calles 109 dynmaic libraries, including Qt5, to
> run that program.
> It's not possible to see which libraries has the problem
> when we meet one bugs...
> Open source may not be safe if it has no super excellent moderator.
>
> However, when we try programming such 3d graphics,
> we'll meet this kind of problems.
> Isn't this the reason why we don't have such functinality?

I remember when it was done with far fewer libraries.  Let's see... GL, GLX, X11, and... 2 or 3 more?  I think GLUT may have replaced GLX while providing many extra things.

I think a reasonable approach to 3D graphics in Plan 9 would be 1 library interfacing to a kernel driver.  Compare libdraw which is one library despite being complex enough to have several man pages.

These hundreds of libraries exist because package managers make dependencies seem easy, and programmers don't think about the problems.  I opposed any package manager for 9front because it would lead to these problems.  I couldn't express it as well as Russ Cox, but I knew how awful it is to have to maintain all these dependencies.