From: Romano <unobe@cpan.org>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: rpi4 shoots to 100% load and is unresponsive
Date: Thu, 07 May 2020 18:46:30 +0000	[thread overview]

Hello all,

To get my Raspberry Pi 4 up and running, I used the rpi3 iso image from 9front.org to copy to an SD card, and booted from that. That worked fine, but the lack of memory-awareness made some compilations untenable: changeset 7408 only recognized ~500MB of the 4GB I had. So I pulled the latest commits from 9front and installed the kernel both at /arm64/ and /n/pidos/ by going to /sys/src/9/bcm64 and running 'mk install' followed by copying 9pi4 to /n/pidos: that allowed 9front to recognize the 4GB of memory on reboot. I also updated the firmware under /sys/src/boot/bcm/, and copied that over to /n/pidos, thinking that perhaps outdated firmware from the 7408 changeset build could be an issue.

However, both with and without the firmware updates, the load quickly escalates to 100% and the 'Delete' is ineffective after just a little bit of time doing anything. I have to hit the kill switch.  For instance, I was compiling git9, and sometimes it stops during compilation (mk all), other times it'll get a little further and stop during mk install. The mouse can still move around, but clicks don't perform any actions and the stats window just shows the load hitting max and staying there.

Did I miss a recent thread om the mailing list re: this? Can anyone think of a recent commit that might cause that behavior? Anything I can offer from the raspberry pi to help determine the possible cause? Could it be due to not building the compilers, or userland tools, or the kernel in a specific order or a specific way?