* Re: [9front] passwd(1): These commands may be run only on a terminal
@ 2015-05-03 17:34 sl
From: sl @ 2015-05-03 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> i only see auth/login to warn when run on a cpu and netkey to
> refuse to work on a cpu. which commands need to be changed?

Specifically, passwd.

I may be guilty of believing the man page and misunderstanding the
problem. Looking at passwd.c, I don't see any place where any such
check is occurring, either.

I verified that passwd works on my local cpu server, whose ipnet
entry in ndb contains a definition for an auth server.

On the remote cpu server where the problem was first noticed,
running passwd produces the following error:

	passwd: protocol botch: cs: can't translate address: dns: resource does not exist; negrcode

This machine has the auth server defined in its plan9.ini, but has no
auth server specifically identified in its ndb. When I explicitly specify
an auth server, passwd works.

Note: Both machines use the same auth server.

I never had any problem with the original configuration using any
other form of auth or cpu services that I've tried.

So:

It appears passwd was already updated at some time in the past to
remove the restriction that it only runs on terminals. Maybe just
the man page needs to be changed?

sl

* Re: [9front] passwd(1): These commands may be run only on a terminal
@ 2015-05-03 19:00 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2015-05-03 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

yeah, makes sense.

--
cinap

* Re: [9front] passwd(1): These commands may be run only on a terminal
@ 2015-05-03 16:31 ` cinap_lenrek