* [9front] (Noob question): Problem adding users to CPU server
@ 2023-06-11 13:50 Ralf Wissing
From: Ralf Wissing @ 2023-06-11 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello everyone,

i have set up an CPU server following the "Setting up a networked 9front machine" article in the 9front wiki. With my hostowner account "ralf" i can log in to the machine via rcpu, but any other account i create gets the following message:

%<-------------------------------------------

 auth_proxy: auth_proxy rpc write: cs: can't translate address: dns: name does not exist

%<-------------------------------------------

Can anybody help me out? What have i overlooked?

Greetings

Ralf

* Re: [9front] (Noob question): Problem adding users to CPU server
@ 2023-06-11 17:43 ` Amavect
From: Amavect @ 2023-06-11 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Ralf,

I'm guessing you didn't add the user to the auth server.
Users need to be added to both the file server and the auth server.
auth/debug can help. man 8 auth
http://fqa.9front.org/fqa7.html#7.4.2
If this is the case, it could have a better error message.

If the error message is right, then something is misconfigured in /lib/ndb/local
netaudit can help. man 8 netaudit

Thanks,
Amavect

* Re: [9front] (Noob question): Problem adding users to CPU server
@ 2023-06-13  6:13   ` Ralf Wissing
From: Ralf Wissing @ 2023-06-13  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi,

i found my (actually obvious) error: I forgot to tell the fileserver to listen to incoming connections in Plan9.ini, after i fixed that everything runs smooth.

The only thing i still do not completely understand is why i was able to make a connection as hostowner, while the fileserver was obviously not listening to incoming connections...hmmm...

Thanks!

Ralf

From: Ralf Wissing @ 2023-06-13  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

@ 2023-07-03 17:33 ` Amavect
From: Amavect @ 2023-07-03 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sun, Jun 11, 2023 at 9:03 AM Ralf Wissing <ralf.wissing@posteo.de> wrote:
> i have set up an CPU server following the "Setting up a networked 9front machine" article in the 9front wiki. With my hostowner account "ralf" i can log in to the machine via rcpu, but any other account i create gets the following message:
>  auth_proxy: auth_proxy rpc write: cs: can't translate address: dns: name does not exist

Running into this myself recently, here's how I fixed it.

When remotely logging in, rcpu is told the authdom, but not the auth.
(Should this change?)
Per authsrv(2), it looks for a matching authdom=example.com auth=whatever tuple.
If it doesn't find one, it looks for auth=p9auth.example.com
If that doesn't exist, DNS throws the error.
To fix this, I added a CNAME record for the p9auth subdomain to point
to my auth server domain.

The hostowner (glenda) bypasses the auth server because the cpu server
factotum already has the hostowner keys.

I wish the error message said the domain to which it tried to connect.
I also wish the auth server was transmitted (or prompted like
drawterm) so none of this had to happen.

Thanks to ori for the help.

Thanks,
Amavect