* How can i get the network working with 9vx
@ 2011-10-02 19:19 pmarin
From: pmarin @ 2011-10-02 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi all.
I am trying to use the 9front iso image [1] with 9vx and I get the
following error:
   grep: can't open /net/ipselftab: '/net/ipselftab' cs: file does not
exist
   ndb/dns: can't read my ip address

With 9atom and plan9 the networking works out of the box.

[1] 9front-943.31a104b0a861.iso

Cheers.
pmarin

* Re: How can i get the network working with 9vx
@ 2011-10-02 23:01 ` yy
From: yy @ 2011-10-02 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

2011/10/2 pmarin <pacogeek@gmail.com>:
> Hi all.
> I am trying to use the 9front iso image [1] with 9vx and I get the
> following error:
>   grep: can't open /net/ipselftab: '/net/ipselftab' cs: file does not
> exist
>   ndb/dns: can't read my ip address
>
> With 9atom and plan9 the networking works out of the box.
>
> [1] 9front-943.31a104b0a861.iso

Are you using any virtual ethernet device with 9vx? Because if you are
not, 9vx will use the ip stack of the host. In this case, 9vx /net
will include some files, but ipselftab is not one of them.

You will also get errors if you try to run ndb/dns or ip/ipconfig from
a 9vx booted with 9atom or plan9. The difference is that they do not
try to start the network by default.

You could comment a few lines in termrc to avoid the error. Networking
should be working fine.

--
- yiyus || JGL .

* Re: How can i get the network working with 9vx
@ 2011-10-03  4:04   ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2011-10-03  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

added issue to bugtracker here:

http://code.google.com/p/plan9front/issues/detail?id=93&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Priority%20Milestone%20Owner%20Summary%20Subsystem

i dont have a linux installation to test right now...

as you describe it, seems to be mostly a matter of detecting 9vx and not
doing ip/ipconfig and dns at all because 9vx provides these files for you
in #I right?

--
cinap

* Re: How can i get the network working with 9vx
@ 2011-10-03  6:42     ` yy
From: yy @ 2011-10-03  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

2011/10/3  <cinap_lenrek@gmx.de>:
> added issue to bugtracker here:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/plan9front/issues/detail?id=93&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Priority%20Milestone%20Owner%20Summary%20Subsystem
>
> i dont have a linux installation to test right now...
>
> as you describe it, seems to be mostly a matter of detecting 9vx and not
> doing ip/ipconfig and dns at all because 9vx provides these files for you
> in #I right?

A solution would be to test if $sysname is 'vx32' AND there is no
/net/eth0. You probably want to start the network if you are using
virtual ethernet devices.

I don't have a 9front tree in my 9vx machine just now, but I will try later.

--
- yiyus || JGL .

* Re: How can i get the network working with 9vx
@ 2011-10-03 12:32       ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2011-10-03 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 08:42:59 +0200
yy <yiyu.jgl@gmail.com> wrote:

> A solution would be to test if $sysname is 'vx32' AND there is no
> /net/eth0. You probably want to start the network if you are using
> virtual ethernet devices.

$sysname may be set before any scripts are run. 9vx can use some
equivalent of plan9.ini.

* Re: How can i get the network working with 9vx
@ 2011-10-03 17:30         ` yy
From: yy @ 2011-10-03 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

2011/10/3 Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57@fastmail.fm>:
> On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 08:42:59 +0200
> yy <yiyu.jgl@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A solution would be to test if $sysname is 'vx32' AND there is no
>> /net/eth0. You probably want to start the network if you are using
>> virtual ethernet devices.
>
> $sysname may be set before any scripts are run. 9vx can use some
> equivalent of plan9.ini.

You are right, an user could overwrite the value of sysname. A better
test to know if we are inside 9vx may be to check for '#Z'

--
- yiyus || JGL .

* Re: How can i get the network working with 9vx
@ 2011-10-03 18:23           ` Julius Schmidt
From: Julius Schmidt @ 2011-10-03 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> You are right, an user could overwrite the value of sysname. A better
> test to know if we are inside 9vx may be to check for '#Z'

Let's just run 8l 10 times and see if it crashes at once point ...

* Re: How can i get the network working with 9vx
@ 2011-10-07 19:08 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2011-10-07 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

commited:

http://code.google.com/p/plan9front/source/detail?r=17c699f59338f6177de15d46ce736aeabd759354

please test, i dont have 9vx to try it out.

--
cinap