* devfs config file loading on startup
@ 2020-05-10 18:17 covertusername967
From: covertusername967 @ 2020-05-10 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: covertusername967, 9front

Hello,

I recently bootstrapped a new file server that I plan on using to
replace my old one.  I have nearly everything working, other than
unattended startup - I can't seem to get devfs to load the config file
specified in plan9.ini.  I can configure it manually by catting the
same config file into /dev/fs/ctl and then bring up cwfs using the
resulting file in /dev/fs, but it's not there on startup, which makes
cwfs panic.

I dd'ed the WORM from my old file server onto a 2-disk array of drives
that was set up by fs(3) using the following config line:

mirror worm /dev/sdE0/data /dev/sdE2/data

This line is stored on a raw 512-byte partition on a separate SSD at
/dev/sdN0/fsconfig.  The resulting /dev/fs/worm was then used to bring
up a cwfs with a cache/other on the same SSD:

filsys main c(/dev/sdN0/fscache)(/dev/fs/worm)
filsys dump o
filsys other (/dev/sdN0/other)

The file system was initialized successfully.  However, it will not
boot unattended.  Here is my plan9.ini:

bootfile=9pc64
fsconfig=/dev/sdN0/fsconfig
nvram=/dev/sdN0/nvram
bootargs=local!/dev/sdN0/fscache -a tcp!*!564
nobootprompt=local!/dev/sdN0/fscache -a tcp!*!564
mouseport=2
monitor=vesa
vgasize=1366x768x32
service=cpu
*acpi=1

On startup, cwfs will panic with the following message:

panic: wreninit: can't open /dev/fs/worm for w"/dev/fs/worm":
'/dev/fs/worm' does not exist

Dropping into rc from the resulting bootargs prompt confirms the lack
of a 'worm' file after listing /dev/fs.  However, catting
/dev/sdN0/fsconfig into /dev/fs/ctl does create the file, as expected,
allowing cwfs to come up normally.  Am I doing something wrong here?

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-05-10 18:17 UTC | newest]