* Problem during install
@ 2011-07-20  6:42 neo67
From: neo67 @ 2011-07-20  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Version: 9front-654

Hiho,

during Installation under vmware the step "Setup network
configuration" -> syname with the default "cirno" did not find "/n/
newfs/lib" -> directory entry not found

http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/a0f3-f-9bf3-jpg.html

What can I do?

Greetz & THX
neo67

* Re: Problem during install
@ 2011-07-20  7:08 ` neo67
From: neo67 @ 2011-07-20  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

next one:
http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/a0f3-g-c74d-jpg.html

it seems, that the directory /n is not there...

* Re: Problem during install
@ 2011-07-20  7:54   ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2011-07-20  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

/n/newfs is the mountpoint of the filesystem where you install into,
so the copydist step probably failed to copy everything. most likely
because everybody makes ther cache partitions too small.

the cache has to hold all the data that the filesystem needs to store
between dumps!

i gave it a 12GB virtual harddrive in my vmware test machine just for
safe estimate.

--
cinap

* Re: Problem during install
@ 2011-07-20  8:55     ` neo67
From: neo67 @ 2011-07-20  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

okay cinap,

I will try this.

another thing:
goole will close this google group?
I have a message, which sound like this at the group front page.

Greetz
Jürgen

On 20 Jul., 09:54, cinap_len...@gmx.de wrote:
> /n/newfs is the mountpoint of the filesystem where you install into,
> so the copydist step probably failed to copy everything. most likely
> because everybody makes ther cache partitions too small.
>
> the cache has to hold all the data that the filesystem needs to store
> between dumps!
>
> i gave it a 12GB virtual harddrive in my vmware test machine just for
> safe estimate.
>
> --
> cinap

* Re: Problem during install
@ 2011-07-20 10:11       ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2011-07-20 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

there is no spoon!

--
cinap

* Re: Problem during install
@ 2011-07-21  6:49     ` neo67
From: neo67 @ 2011-07-21  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi Cinap,

that was the solution, my virtual drive was to small.
The installation went fine. Such an easy to install, provided your
drive is big enough. ;-)

But now....
I have some understanding problems:

What is for 9front the difference between a terminal and a cpu
installation (this s asked during installation)
After install and a new boot, I can only log in as Glenda? Is Glenda
root?

Okay, now I have my first steps with rio. I love RIO. ;-)

Have fun!
Juergen

On 20 Jul., 09:54, cinap_len...@gmx.de wrote:
> /n/newfs is the mountpoint of the filesystem where you install into,
> so the copydist step probably failed to copy everything. most likely
> because everybody makes ther cache partitions too small.
>
> the cache has to hold all the data that the filesystem needs to store
> between dumps!
>
> i gave it a 12GB virtual harddrive in my vmware test machine just for
> safe estimate.
>
> --
> cinap

* Re: Problem during install
@ 2011-07-21  8:34       ` Julius Schmidt
From: Julius Schmidt @ 2011-07-21  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> What is for 9front the difference between a terminal and a cpu
> installation (this s asked during installation)
A (standalone) terminal is just a single standalone machine.
A CPU server is a machine where users log in and work on.
Read /sys/doc/9.ps ;)

> After install and a new boot, I can only log in as Glenda? Is Glenda
> root?
Yes, you can only log in as Glenda.
See http://code.google.com/p/plan9front/wiki/admin for creating more
users.

No, Glenda is not root, the concept of a superuser is foreign to Plan 9.
All direct hardware access is restricted to the so-called hostowner.
On terminals the hostowner is whoever logged in.
On CPU servers the hostowner is specified as a configuration option, the
default is glenda.
There are two groups, sys and adm, which define users with elevated
privileges.
Users in sys may change system files and users in adm may change
authentication data.
(This is just because sys is the group of all system files and adm is
the group of /adm)

aiju

* Re: Problem during install
@ 2011-07-21 11:03         ` neo67
From: neo67 @ 2011-07-21 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On 21 Jul., 10:34, Julius Schmidt <a...@phicode.de> wrote:
> > What is for 9front the difference between a terminal and a cpu
> > installation (this s asked during installation)
>
> A (standalone) terminal is just a single standalone machine.
> A CPU server is a machine where users log in and work on.
> Read /sys/doc/9.ps ;)

okay, a CPU Server is with login prompt and a terminal has autologin.
How can I read postscript files? I dont find a command for that.

> > After install and a new boot, I can only log in as Glenda? Is Glenda
> > root?
>
> Yes, you can only log in as Glenda.
> Seehttp://code.google.com/p/plan9front/wiki/admin for creating more
> users.

short ! :-)

> No, Glenda is not root, the concept of a superuser is foreign to Plan 9.
> All direct hardware access is restricted to the so-called hostowner.
> On terminals the hostowner is whoever logged in.
> On CPU servers the hostowner is specified as a configuration option, the
> default is glenda.
> There are two groups, sys and adm, which define users with elevated
> privileges.
> Users in sys may change system files and users in adm may change
> authentication data.
> (This is just because sys is the group of all system files and adm is
> the group of /adm)

many Thanks for teh explanation about the user concept.
the fog clears itself :)

THX
Juergen

* Re: Problem during install
@ 2011-07-21 11:46           ` Julius Schmidt
From: Julius Schmidt @ 2011-07-21 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> How can I read postscript files? I dont find a command for that.

page reads all kind of graphical files, including jpeg, gif, png,
postscript, pdf, whatever

aiju

* Re: Problem during install
@ 2011-07-21 12:09             ` neo67
From: neo67 @ 2011-07-21 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> page reads all kind of graphical files, including jpeg, gif, png,
> postscript, pdf, whatever

very cool. One thing4all.
I Love it. :)

THX