* Re: [9front] PROPOSAL: New 9front Bug Tracker
@ 2018-02-08  2:55 sl
From: sl @ 2018-02-08  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

>> The existing bug tracker sucks.
>
> It would be helpful to know the, say, three most hated things about the
> current regime :-)  Knowing what you're running from can help guide where
> you should be running to.

When 9front started it was hosted at Google Code because they offered
mercurial and we needed a reliable place to host code.  Google Code
came with a free bug tracker, so people used it.

When Google Code went away we lost that.  Eventually cinap complained
that we no longer had a bug tracker.  After some discussion we settled
on the following design:

	A bug is a directory named for a brief description of the bug
	that contains a file readme which includes the original bug
	report plus whatever comments were later added by 9front
	developers.  The bug's status is defined by its location
	within one of two directories: open/ or closed/.

This worked okay, but in practice most of the bugs never had any
commentary added to them.  Bugs might not even get closed after the
fix was committed.  Bascially, I was the only one managing the bug
reporting system.  Most of it manually.

At some point we started forwarding bug reports to a separate
9front-bugs mailing list.

At some point we engineereed a web interface.

Most of these add-ons were implemented in an incomplete, or otherwise
unsatisfactory fashion.  Nobody likes the web interface.  There is a
lot of confusion amongst users as to how to file a bug, how to reply
to a bug report, where to discuss the bug once it has been filed, how
to figure out what is going on.  People were replying directly to the
9front-bugs list, which was never intended (the capability to do so
was an oversight on my part).  People were sending updates to
9front-bugs-open, which created a new, separate bug for every mail
message sent to it.

My proposal aims to address all these problems.

For our purposes, there are two main purposes for the bug tracker,
without which there is no reason for it to exist:

	1.  Create a succinct summary and central repository of bug
	information for cinap and other developers to glance at.

	2.  Avoid duplication of random bug reports and duplication of
	work.

If we don't fulfill these then we're wasting our time.

sl

* Re: [9front] PROPOSAL: New 9front Bug Tracker
@ 2018-02-09  5:11 ` Eli Cohen
From: Eli Cohen @ 2018-02-09  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

i don't think bug assignment matters that much. everyone does it, but
the point of these things is to document bugs and acknowledge repair

--
http://echoline.org

* Re: [9front] PROPOSAL: New 9front Bug Tracker
@ 2018-02-09  3:31 sl
From: sl @ 2018-02-09  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

@ 2018-02-09  3:21 sl
From: sl @ 2018-02-09  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> To complicate matters, I have recently discovered an existing bug
> tracker, written in python, which operates as a mercurial extension,
> and stores bugs as maildirs inside the source tree.
>
> It's got a weird license but maybe an email to the author could fix
> that.  The license is almost, but not quite, BSD.
>
> http://www.mrzv.org/software/artemis/
>
> Maybe something from which to draw inspiration.

One of the reasons I am interested in rolling a custom bug tracker is
because I like the idea of using the 9front system to maintain and
host the 9front system.  Every outside facility is something we don't
control and will probably have to replace later (in this case, if we
ever get rid of python, which everyone says we want to do).  In my
opinion, alien software (as in, not Plan 9 native) should always be
considered a last resort.  Otherwise, why are we doing any of this at
all?

That said, we could just use this.

sl

* Re: [9front] PROPOSAL: New 9front Bug Tracker
@ 2018-02-09  3:15 sl
From: sl @ 2018-02-09  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> some well defined space, e.g. an empty place holder file or a dir for:
>     issue description
>     how to reproduce - for a script, or maybe some c code.
>     resolution

FQA 2.4.1 covers this, but perhaps it could be made more explicit as a
template, so users can just fill in the blanks.

sl

* Re: [9front] PROPOSAL: New 9front Bug Tracker
@ 2018-02-09  3:01 sl
From: sl @ 2018-02-09  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> Bugs shouldn't be prioritized by submitters anyway; they should be
> prioritized by someone else.  All bugs are high priority for the person
> reporting the bug.  The person fixing the bug should be in charge of
> deciding how quickly that gets done.

I agree.

> So, with Subject coming for free (it's in the email), and state/priority
> just being top-level directories,

This seems good.

> all that's left to annotate is owner
> and subsystem.  Just having something that matches /^Subsystem: in any
> file is probably good enough for the latter.

That seems fine.  Or, should we just have a file subsystem that is
just a one line (or one word) description of the subsystem.  That
would be very easy to create, find, and manipulate.

> The former can just be
> subdirectories inside the toplevel directories.

This is probably fine, too, but do we really even need to assign bugs
to individuals?  In our context, what are the benefits vs the
administrative overhead?

sl

* Re: [9front] PROPOSAL: New 9front Bug Tracker
@ 2018-02-08 23:56 ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2018-02-08 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Wed, Feb 07, 2018 at 08:34:14PM -0500, sl@stanleylieber.com wrote:
> The existing bug tracker sucks.

To complicate matters, I have recently discovered an existing bug
tracker, written in python, which operates as a mercurial extension,
and stores bugs as maildirs inside the source tree.

It's got a weird license but maybe an email to the author could fix
that.  The license is almost, but not quite, BSD.

http://www.mrzv.org/software/artemis/

Maybe something from which to draw inspiration.

khm

* Re: [9front] PROPOSAL: New 9front Bug Tracker
@ 2018-02-08 23:23       ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2018-02-08 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

these are just ideas or discussion, not even suggestions,
use or discard whatever.

states:
    open, closed, rejected, duplicate, awaiting response
issue type
    bug, RFE (request for enhancement), feature request

@ 2018-02-08 16:54     ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2018-02-08 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018, at 9:07 AM, Kurt H Maier wrote:

> Bugs shouldn't be prioritized by submitters anyway; they should be
> prioritized by someone else.  All bugs are high priority for the person
> reporting the bug.  The person fixing the bug should be in charge of
> deciding how quickly that gets done.

I agree with this point. I hate the priority field when reporting a new
bug, especially when i'm not involved with the project. These days
I just ignore it.

--
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne. -- Chaucer

* Re: [9front] PROPOSAL: New 9front Bug Tracker
@ 2018-02-08  9:07   ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2018-02-08  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 09:37:42AM +0100, Julius Schmidt wrote:
> I also like having a "new" state.
> It singles out bugs that no one has looked at and it's nice for the user
> to know that the bug is being acknowledged by someone else.
> I'm not proposing a formal process, cinap can of course just close new
> bugs if he fixes them immediately, but if a bug is too hard to fix
> immediately, someone can verify the issue and mark the bug as "open".

I think priority is what you use for state instead of open.  You would
have new, lowpriority, highpriority, featurerequest, closed.  Everything
gets moved to closed when it's done, including invalid, notourbug,
wontfix, etc.  Most bug trackers keep state and priority separate, which
makes sense when there's a project manager trying to balance deadlines
with budget.  We don't have deadlines or budgets, so I'm not sure it's
worth creating a two-dimensional data structure to describe bugs.

The rest of this email concerns topics I feel less strongly about.

Bugs shouldn't be prioritized by submitters anyway; they should be
prioritized by someone else.  All bugs are high priority for the person
reporting the bug.  The person fixing the bug should be in charge of
deciding how quickly that gets done.

So, with Subject coming for free (it's in the email), and state/priority
just being top-level directories, all that's left to annotate is owner
and subsystem.  Just having something that matches /^Subsystem: in any
file is probably good enough for the latter.  The former can just be
subdirectories inside the toplevel directories.

That way if I want to find out which low priority open bugs I'm working
on that affect the trolling subsystem,
  grep ^Subsystem:.*troll lowpriority/khm/*/*
would get me there.

Maybe I'm overthinking this.  I'd rather the structure of the directory
inherently represent the status of the bugs, rather than having to
manually annotate things.

I do agree we don't need a state machine.  I think it would be easier to
not need a state machine if we collapsed state and priority.

khm

* Re: [9front] PROPOSAL: New 9front Bug Tracker
@ 2018-02-08  8:37 ` Julius Schmidt
From: Julius Schmidt @ 2018-02-08  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I also like having a "new" state.
It singles out bugs that no one has looked at and it's nice for the user
to know that the bug is being acknowledged by someone else.
I'm not proposing a formal process, cinap can of course just close new
bugs if he fixes them immediately, but if a bug is too hard to fix
immediately, someone can verify the issue and mark the bug as "open".

Maybe a simple way to implement most of this is to use a format similar to
e-mail. Something like

Subject: the front fell off
Assigned-To: cinap_lenrek
State: open
Subsystem: kernel

With 9p you can edit any of this with a text editor.
Via email you can prepend a change to your message, maybe using some
special token to make it easier to find it between all the e-mail cruft.

Maybe with some minimal vetting/normalisation.
I think we can all agree that having enforced state transitions is an
un-feature of the more complex bugtrackers :)

State: (new open closed invalid wontfix)

I guess to fit this into a your scheme this would be another file in the
bug directory.

Anyway just some thoughts.

I know people hate the bureaucracy but I think it's useful to be able to
search bugs using these fields.

@ 2018-02-08  2:08 ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2018-02-08  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front