* fwd: [werc] ROADMAP FOR UPCOMING RELEASES
@ 2016-09-10  2:35 sl
From: sl @ 2016-09-10  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

werc - 1.5 release
	integrate all 9front changes	# DONE
		add bin/contrib/rc-httpd	# DONE
	apps/mdir	# by khm, test it!
	apps/paste	# by khm	# DONE
	apps/upload	# generic file uploads  # disabled by default
		/n/lists/werc/1240113746.00	# maht's upload code
	apps/wman	# FIX
		mysterious (erroneous) escapes are printed here:
			http://man.cat-v.org/9front/3/ip
	make it possible to never load the default css	# bind?

werc - 1.6 release "UNSETTLING DREAMS"
	apps/gregor
		bugtracker
	apps/paginate
	apps/tags
		tagfs?
	mkfile - use werc to generate static sites
 	http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/src/markdown.go
		revise whitelist
		test with cat-v.org

sl

* Re: [9front] fwd: [werc] ROADMAP FOR UPCOMING RELEASES
@ 2016-09-10  3:22 ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2016-09-10  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Fri, Sep 09, 2016 at 10:35:56PM -0400, sl@stanleylieber.com wrote:
> werc - 1.5 release
> 	apps/mdir	# by khm, test it!

It is slow as shit.  This might be okay with sufficient warnings added.

> 	apps/paste	# by khm	# DONE

I consider apps/paste a proof-of-concept.  It is crippled by rc's
env-var size limit and should be replaced with something that uses
maht's upload code or such.

> 	apps/upload	# generic file uploads  # disabled by default
> 		/n/lists/werc/1240113746.00	# maht's upload code

This code works and I have not been able to break it.  I also don't have
a patch prepared to integrate it into werc's mainline.

> 	apps/wman	# FIX
> 		mysterious (erroneous) escapes are printed here:
> 			http://man.cat-v.org/9front/3/ip

A cursory glance didn't show obvious problems.  I can assume this duty
if someone can give me details about the bug.

> 	make it possible to never load the default css	# bind?

I think this should be a config flag, since filesystem games are not
necessarily portable -- you need root to bind on some OSes, and while
that sucks, werc should keep it in mind.

> werc - 1.6 release "UNSETTLING DREAMS"
> 	apps/gregor
> 		bugtracker

We need a separate todo for this.  The 9front bugtracker is a beautiful
start; I propose it needs only further integration into the email side
to be perfect.  Specifically, replying to a bug on the list should show
up on the bug report in werc.  We can cannibalize apps/mdir for pieces
of this.

> 	apps/paginate

What is this?

> 	apps/tags
> 		tagfs?

IMO this should support the ability to use external tools like kenji's
database thing.

> 	mkfile - use werc to generate static sites

I feel like this has been at least started on by someone, somewhere
in the mists of time.  Am I hallucinating?

>  	http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/src/markdown.go
> 		revise whitelist
> 		test with cat-v.org

MORE LIKE MARKDOWN.NO

If we're going to include markdown.go, we should make a contrib/go
directory and bundle cgo in there too.

work, work, work.

khm

* Re: [9front] fwd: [werc] ROADMAP FOR UPCOMING RELEASES
@ 2016-09-10  3:24   ` sl
From: sl @ 2016-09-10  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I forgot to mention, the development tree is now located here:

	https://code.9front.org/hg/werc

@ 2016-09-10  3:38   ` sl
From: sl @ 2016-09-10  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

>> werc - 1.5 release
>> 	apps/mdir	# by khm, test it!
>
> It is slow as shit.  This might be okay with sufficient warnings added.

Disclosure:

This list was copied directly from my personal todo file. I agree; this
stuff is not yet ready for primetime. Particularly because of the system
load generated by its use. But we can work on it.

>> 	apps/paste	# by khm	# DONE
>
> I consider apps/paste a proof-of-concept.  It is crippled by rc's
> env-var size limit and should be replaced with something that uses
> maht's upload code or such.

Sounds good.

>> 	apps/upload	# generic file uploads  # disabled by default
>> 		/n/lists/werc/1240113746.00	# maht's upload code
>
> This code works and I have not been able to break it.  I also don't have
> a patch prepared to integrate it into werc's mainline.

I have not even looked at this yet.

>> 	apps/wman	# FIX
>> 		mysterious (erroneous) escapes are printed here:
>> 			http://man.cat-v.org/9front/3/ip
>
> A cursory glance didn't show obvious problems.  I can assume this duty
> if someone can give me details about the bug.

Weird shit gets printed in the web browser. Scroll down to

	            input packets delivered to higher\bfrl\bae\bgv\bme\bel\bntp\bsro\bct\bro\bec\bao\btl\bes\bd

I started looking into this once but lost my notes. No memory of what I found.

>> 	make it possible to never load the default css	# bind?
>
> I think this should be a config flag, since filesystem games are not
> necessarily portable -- you need root to bind on some OSes, and while
> that sucks, werc should keep it in mind.

Agree. Some refactoring will be needed to make this happen but it's not hard
to make it a knob.

>> werc - 1.6 release "UNSETTLING DREAMS"
>> 	apps/gregor
>> 		bugtracker
>
> We need a separate todo for this.  The 9front bugtracker is a beautiful
> start; I propose it needs only further integration into the email side
> to be perfect.  Specifically, replying to a bug on the list should show
> up on the bug report in werc.  We can cannibalize apps/mdir for pieces
> of this.

Perhaps too ambitious for inclusion in the following release, but that's
why it's not listed for 1.5. Agree we could break it out into a solo project
and then add it in once it works.

>> 	apps/paginate
>
> What is this?

Arbitrarily break up the contents of a given page into multiple pages,
inserting navigation buttons on each paginated page. I implemented this
in barf but my solution is not general enough for werc (this should work
with ANY content).

>> 	apps/tags
>> 		tagfs?
>
> IMO this should support the ability to use external tools like kenji's
> database thing.

Yes. A simple implementation could just be a _werc/tags index file, formatted
like this:

	index.md	hj,dicks,murray_hill,hi_rob,fuck_you

Or something along those lines. I implemented tagging in barf in a slightly
more complicated and less general way.

>> 	mkfile - use werc to generate static sites
>
> I feel like this has been at least started on by someone, somewhere
> in the mists of time.  Am I hallucinating?

I implemented this at least twice and threw it away both times.

>>  	http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/src/markdown.go
>> 		revise whitelist
>> 		test with cat-v.org
>
> MORE LIKE MARKDOWN.NO
>
> If we're going to include markdown.go, we should make a contrib/go
> directory and bundle cgo in there too.

Well, the existing contrib/ includes stuff in more than one language.
This note (and all the non-portable) stuff was mainly for testing on
9front; some of the stuff can be made general enough to run anywhere.

sl