From: sirjofri <sirjofri+ml-9front@sirjofri.de>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] Re: Troff ms srefs, weird commata
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 00:18:39 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

19.02.2021 06:50:56 magma698hfsp273p9f@icebubble.org:
> Additionally, footnotes should be typeset following punctuation and/or
> quotes.  Computer typesetting often gets this detail wrong, too.

Wrong. Computers shouldn't typeset at all. It's the people doing it
wrong.

It makes sense to follow the same rules in quoting. In German we have
this: use the punctuation from the quote (eg. "Some text," or "some
text?"), if there is none and you need it, place it outside (eg. "Some
text", or "some text"?).

In the footnotes the title doesn't end with punctuation, so in German it
would be "Title", almost always (except the title ends with something,
then it would also contain it: "title?", bla).

So it's only natural that "title," journal looks very weird to my German
eyes.

In addition to that, I looked at 9.ps and it was also different there
("title", journal).

sirjofri